Acro help

avelino78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a few acros maybe a month ago. At the same time I got a Jedi mind trick monti. The acros don't look like they are doing so well. One almost lost all its color it's like it's skin all peeled off. Another started to die from the bottom up. The piece I cut from the plug and still had some of it left on the plug looks like it is doing well. Another acro is doing just fine. My monti is growing like mad. It has already grown over the sides of the piece of rock it came on. I have had my tank for over three years and everything has been growing fine I just never had a sps. Any help would be great.

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, you'll be asked this every time you ask a question related to a coral not doing well.

What are your parameters?

Did you dip the frags?
Where did you start them in the tank?
What kind of flow?
How long did all of this take to happen?
What kind of lights?
What is your water source?

Those questions should be enough to get more information on your setup. SPS are touchy... I'm not an expert, I just haven't killed as many as I've grown. (not yet, yikes!)

OP
OP
A

avelino78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29 gallon BioCube running a first gen radion.
Phos .04
Mag 1480
Cal 465
Alk 7.8
I make my own rodi TDS at 0. I got them in February and it started a week or so ago. I have a MP 10 for flow. I hope this helps.

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me, I would bring up the alk a little to around 9 and see what happens. I only say this because I had some similar things happening and they went away and I experienced some growth with an elevated alk level. Currently I am running around 9dkH. I was up around 11 for a while and nothing crazy happened, but I went up/down slowly. I also had a rapid alk swing and lost 2 SPS overnight. I try not to adjust alk too quickly.

OP
OP
A

avelino78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reading that. I'm going to try to get my ALK up little by little thanks for the help.

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, on another note. Have you checked for pests, bugs, etc?

swk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you dip the acros and monti? What did you use? How, and when are you looking? Looking at night can be helpful for some pests. Things like red bugs are easiest to see with macro photography, but taking the piece out and looking it over with a magnifying glass can be helpful. Another option is to dip in coral rx or bayer and see if any red bugs or AEFW come off. Both can cause things similar to what you're mentioning.

OP
OP
A

avelino78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dipped them in coral rx. I check all the time and didn't see anything on them. I think it's just dying maybe due to an alk swing or temp swing. I'm working on keeping everything a bit more stable.

swk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think coral rx kills aefw. Maybe buy some bayer advanced and dip them in that?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back