Turning white at the base, am I bleaching?

ryleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uploadfromtaptalk1429374258189.jpg
I've had this guy for a few months now and have seen some decent growth. The past 2 weeks or so the base has been turning white. I noticed it turns whitish at the tips where there is new growth. The very top still has a bluish color, but I'm not sure if the base is growing or bleaching, thoughts?

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell from the pics but it looks like bleaching. Are there polyps in the area where it's h turning white?

OP
OP
R

ryleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell from the pics but it looks like bleaching. Are there polyps in the area where it's h turning white?
Yes I do see polyps and it's at the base of an arm that has been steadily growing so it's confusing to me. Doesn't bleaching usually start at the top where it is closest to the light? My Params are good so I'm thinking it's either too much light or the bottom is starting to encrust?

OP
OP
R

ryleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned down my lighting intensity throughout the day to see it this helps, is it common for bleaching to start at the base?

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say more common on death. In pic looks like most of polyps at base are retracted and in a spot or 2 look gone? Could be more than bleaching. I have had pieces die off from bottom up and still had great polyps at top up until death spread all the way up. Keep an eye on it

Keepswiming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it looks like two things, too much light or ... Aefw...

Did you dip it? What's light are you using, led?

I would suggest using bayer to dip it and look in the cup after to see if there are any flat worms. This will eliminate that possibility... Then lower the coral to the sand or near the bottom and see how it progresses... Good luck !

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it looks like two things, too much light or ... Aefw...

Did you dip it? What's light are you using, led?

I would suggest using bayer to dip it and look in the cup after to see if there are any flat worms. This will eliminate that possibility... Then lower the coral to the sand or near the bottom and see how it progresses... Good luck !
Usually aefw affect the polyp extension. I don't think this is aefw. Personally I think it might be from starvation. Do you feed anything to your corals? What are your nitrates and phosphates?

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup they get their deeper true purple color in lower IMO aswell. Doesn't look like aefw to me so I wouldn't panic :) yet.lol does look like stn to me tho and if it continues to move up the Coral your only option in the end could be fragging healthy parts off in efforts to save.

How bout some more tank details and maybe a FTS. I bet you could get to the bottom of your problem.

OP
OP
R

ryleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup they get their deeper true purple color in lower IMO aswell. Doesn't look like aefw to me so I wouldn't panic :) yet.lol does look like stn to me tho and if it continues to move up the Coral your only option in the end could be fragging healthy parts off in efforts to save.

How bout some more tank details and maybe a FTS. I bet you could get to the bottom of your problem.
uploadfromtaptalk1429409031146.jpg

Tank is a 45g corner pentagon with a 20g sump.

The coral in the pic is sitting on the right side of the top rock. It's about 8 inches below the surface and the light is 10" above the water surface. If that's too close I can move it down, but I have seen decent growth with it being there for the last 3 months.

I'm using a 165w Chinese led that ramps up and down from 7am-10pm. I run whites at about 40% for 5 hours.

Parameters are good. Nothing outside of normal. Alk has been a steady 7 for awhile now. I know it's on the low side but I've been seeing growth with it being at 7 pretty consistently. Only other thing I can think is if nutrients being low, nitrates and phosphates close to 0, and the poop of just 2 clowns might be starving it. I was told that once you have fish, their waste is enough to feed sps. Should I try something like reef chili?

Thank you for all the responses!

Keepswiming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually aefw affect the polyp extension. I don't think this is aefw. Personally I think it might be from starvation. Do you feed anything to your corals? What are your nitrates and phosphates?
Recently had a couple frags with aefw and the polyps were out and it looked like this... I couldn't figured it out, then i dipped... the end! haha

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ib have never heard of aefw effecting montipora. Pretty sure it's not the problem here. Usually alk problems will start with the tips instead of the base. I'm still going to say starvation, especially since you have reported low nutrients. Try spot feeding and overfeeding the fish and see if it recovers

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back