SPS first timer

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never owned SPS or much of it I should say. I am not a rookie with coral, just always had LPS and softies. Im basically looking for some recommendations. Medium to high end pieces.

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a sucker for the classics...Pink Lemonade, Cali Tort, or just about any original O.R.A. piece.

Mr. Microscope

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to the classics. Can't beat a nice Joe the Coral or Hawkins IMO. I say look at your local club and I'm sure you'll find someone who can hook you up with a decent package without breaking the bank.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bump!

Apisto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven't had sps before, less expensive is best. No sense in setting yourself up with disappointment in loosing medium/high-end corals right away. It is best to dip your feet with a few inexpensive corals like a monti, birdsnest or even green slimmer. All can be beautiful additions to any tank and give you practice before jumping into tougher options. Sps corals don't have to be difficult to keep, but it is always wise to take a patient approach when you decide to try them.

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven't had sps before, less expensive is best. No sense in setting yourself up with disappointment in loosing medium/high-end corals right away. It is best to dip your feet with a few inexpensive corals like a monti, birdsnest or even green slimmer. All can be beautiful additions to any tank and give you practice before jumping into tougher options. Sps corals don't have to be difficult to keep, but it is always wise to take a patient approach when you decide to try them.

Would have to agree. Always better to test the waters when 1st starting them out. You don't want your tester to be a 100$frag only to find out something didn't work out. Much better to play with 5-10$ to gain confidence

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I picked up a monti and birdnest, along with a few other pieces. I put them all at or close to the top. I have three radios over my 6 foot tank, about 8 inches off. The led's are around 75-90% with an intensity of 75%.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a monti and birdnest, along with a few other pieces. I put them all at or close to the top. I have three radios over my 6 foot tank, about 8 inches off. The led's are around 75-90% with an intensity of 75%.

I just got my first too. Are they ok with the lights turned up that high?

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might want to start um a bit lower and move up over next week or so - unless they came from that lighting already. Might help.

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From monti experience - you will want it somewhere where it has space and won't shade a lot underneath it as it gets bigger. I keep a lot of my montis around the lower 1/2 to bottom of tank.

soggytees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are lots of good ones you could look at. For montis, maybe look at mystic sunset, sunset, appleberry, reeftech starburst, flower petal. Leptos (I'm never sure if those are SPS or LPS), I'd suggest looking at Jason Fox's stuff. He's got some nice ones like the jack-o-lepto and clepto lepto. Sticks, maybe look at some cool tenuis pieces. Adam at BattleCorals has a great selection and Brett at CherryCorals is another guy to talk to. There are plenty of other sponsors here that have great stuff available. I would recommend that whatever you get, be sure it's aquacultured.

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Far and away ,,,, the best looking coral I have ever seen is the Oregon Tort,,,, jmo ,,,, a must have coral :) I have a small frag in my tank and just ordered a second one ,,,, I know friends will hit me up for frags at some point ,,, I am buying the second one so that I won't touch one of them :)

mpfeiffer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome discussion. SPS will require stability where your LPS and Softies could take some massive Alk and Calc swings without much damage. SPS will suffer with any Alk swings. Keep it stable and you will get good growth and color. Agree- start off slow for the first year as you are bound to kill a few along the way due to mistakes or pure bad luck. Good luck and it is an addiction. BTW, my favorite are also the classics but check out the Walt Disney. Coolest Tenius for sure.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 28 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.9%
Back