Montipora cap! What to do???

Zepman323

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO i wanted you guys to take a look at my monti. I think its dying and would like to know if anyone else has had this problem and if so do i leave it in the tank and see what happens or do i take it out and chuck it? all my parameters are in check along with my salinity and i perform 5 gallon water changes every six days. So people let me know what you guys think, thanks in advance... By the way i purchased this piece when it was about the size of a computer mouse and it grew big time, so basically it was thriving for about 6 months and one day all this red stuff was all over it...
IMG_8033.jpg

miamiangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would break off a good piece and see how it does in another part of the tank. Is the red piece another coral ? they might be at war with each other

miamiangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The piece In the center was almost dead but started to come back . the last one had white spots which you can still see ,but It Is getting back It`s color now was worse last week .

OP
OP
Zepman323

Zepman323

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im not sure what the red stuff it but i think it got stung by my torch... my tank is small so don't have the option to move it.. Miamiangler, did you attach your monti to the wall of your tank???? i was thinking of doing that if theses monti don't make it

miamiangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep used the gel locktight from home depot . it took a while to bond , but If I was going to do it again I would first glue a piece of plug to the glass first then when glued in place then glue the coral to the plug,

does not have to be a big piece all those pieces started off as small as 1/4 to 1/2 inch

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zepman323

Zepman323

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was thinking of doing the same thing to make room for more corals on the rocks

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like cyano. Not sure if it's doing the damage to your monti or if you have a pest that's damaging it and the cyano is just taking advantage of the die off.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back