Jedi Mind Trick monti question

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1430776301.975401.jpg

I've had this frag in my tank for a little over a week now. It seems to be doing fine so far. I looked at other pics of what I have and they have bright red 'eyes' with short feeding tentacles, like this by Mark 09
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1430776484.234593.jpg

How long does it take for the 'eyes' to grow? Right now I just have slightly red dimples on the surface of an otherwise greenish surface. Any help would be appreciated as I'm brand new to SPS!

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are one week in with this frag, you're seeing color and polyps, then sit back and watch it. Sounds like it's doing well. Since it's new, just watch the frag to see if it's encrusting or changing color, etc. It should start growing out around the edges and down/ish. Just watch it and observe any major changes. I know that any frag I get could go south and then swing back... I've had frags brown out, grow and then get some color, sometimes corals take time for me before they look good or grow or both. haha

To see new eyes, that will vary a bit from tank to tank, light to light. I would "guess" within another 2 weeks, you should see some noticeable growth. maybe sooner!!!

good luck!!!

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are one week in with this frag, you're seeing color and polyps, then sit back and watch it. Sounds like it's doing well. Since it's new, just watch the frag to see if it's encrusting or changing color, etc. It should start growing out around the edges and down/ish. Just watch it and observe any major changes. I know that any frag I get could go south and then swing back... I've had frags brown out, grow and then get some color, sometimes corals take time for me before they look good or grow or both. haha

To see new eyes, that will vary a bit from tank to tank, light to light. I would "guess" within another 2 weeks, you should see some noticeable growth. maybe sooner!!!

good luck!!!

Thanks! The edges are darker than the middle. I put it on its own rock close to the bottom of the tank so it will have plenty of room to grow without bothering other corals.

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice! plus then you'll give it someplace to go once it starts growing!

have fun!!

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it normal for this coral to have darker, purplish edges? The only place I see green and red dimples is in the middle, and the colors are dull compared to what I see online. In the same time I've had this monti, my Hollywood stunner chalice has grown from 1 eye to 8. Is this monti a slow grower? I have a ton of patience but everyone told me it would grow fast and it's been 3 weeks with no noticeable change.

miamiangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are used to getting Fuel every morning ;). how much light Is It getting ? The mother colony died 1/3 before it started to really grow . Its now on it`s own rock 3inches dia .

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm feeding it reef roids but not daily. The blues are at 40% for 8 hours. The whites are at 15% for 4 hours.

Crna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rim is supposed to be purple, but I would try moving it up if it's getting really pale. I moved mine down initially because I was worried it was getting too much light. It was growing well, but the color started to fade. Moved it up, and it's back to looking good again.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rim is supposed to be purple, but I would try moving it up if it's getting really pale. I moved mine down initially because I was worried it was getting too much light. It was growing well, but the color started to fade. Moved it up, and it's back to looking good again.

Ok I'll try that. Thanks!

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I placed it in the middle of the tank and so far so good. I wish I could get a good pic but all I have is an iPhone camera and the tank comes out all blue. It looks better in the lights than it does with a flash picture.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back