The Rebirth/Rebuild of my 180g sps thread

Acronuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well not sure how to start but I guess from the beginning. This past summer my work took my away for 4 months. While work these days is a rarity, to me it was a no brainer. Do it! Make money to pay bills and support your addiction.

While away I paid my nephew to take care of the 180 gallon reef tank which had been established now for about 2 years. My nephew took care of feeding, 10 % water changes every other week. I would have him photograph the tank and send me pics via email. Things would look very good, parameters good as well.

At this point you are saying well what the heck happened.

Majano anemones is what happened! In four months I had a massive infestation! I tried using the anaptaiser product but only got a few. I tried picking rocks out and scrapping the suckers off but they quickly came back! I tried boiling RO water but they seemed to laugh at me!!!

Then I felt I had no choice...... Total tank tear down!!! I hated the thought but it was the only way to get rid these pests!

I had been contemplating making a few changes so I thought this would be a perfect time. I was not thrilled with my aquascape, I wanted to go bare bottom and I wanted to get back to the basics.
Good old time tested techniques!
Kalk additions, monthly water changes, aggresive skimming and carbon filtration.
This is what I know best and what seems to work time and time again.

And so it begins........9-16-2011
Week 1 of tear down
I had to start slowly 25% water change removed 25% of the rock work.
Week 2 of tear down
25% water change and another 25% of the rock removed.
Week 3 of tear down
25% water change and another 25% of rock removed
Week 4 of tear down
Last of rocks removed no water change at this point. Why? I want to keep as much of the old water as possible for the good bacteria in the water column.

The rock is sitting on the side of my yard where I hose it down every couple of days to get rid of any loose dead life. I plan on letting it air out 4 weeks to make sure any possible majanos have completely died.
Here is my tank now with all rock removed and even though some sand is still visable it will be completely gone by this weekend.

DSCN7072.jpg

DSCN7071.jpg

As for the corals that were in my tank I have given them away to my fellow hobbists. I kept what I wanted. Like Blue Oregon tort.

Fish are doing well and are feed every other day. Only my mystery wrasse somehow got caught in one of my vortechs. Very strange!

I did not want just glass at the bottom so I opted for "starboard" material.
It is safe and salt water proof. In the industry it is used for boating material.
Several other guys on the forums use it and I know my lfs uses it exclusively.
World Wide Corals has installed the starboard material on their main display tanks. It allows coralline algae to grow on it's surface and in a short time looks really good.

My tank measures 6 feet long by 24 inches wide. It will take 3 , 2' by 2' square sections. The corners are jig sawed for the corner over flow boxes.

DSCN7075.jpg

DSCN7076.jpg

I plan on siliconing the pieces to the bottom of the tank so that detritus does not settle underneath the starboard and the glass.

Well this is it for now guys. I will update soon!

Reef UP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking like a way to regain the love for your tank!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know the new one is going to be even better! The old one was HOT though!

turfster26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with re-build. A very time time and good opportunity to re-aquascape as you mentioned. Did the same exact thing two years and was the best move.

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your old reef was gorgeous! Good luck with the new build!

turfster26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought after viewing your pics....have you considered scraping your back panel and overflow boxes? I got that advice from a couple of highend reefers/totm guys when I did my switchover and it really does make your sps's literally pop. I now keep my back panel spotless of algae, etc.

Just a thought going forward during your re-build.............

OP
OP
Acronuts

Acronuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with re-build. A very time time and good opportunity to re-aquascape as you mentioned. Did the same exact thing two years and was the best move.

Yea turfster, when you put your aquascape together you are only think of what you can add. The more experience you have the more you think about placement, compatability and how things will look 1 year later.

Your old reef was gorgeous! Good luck with the new build!

Thanks revsgirl, I worked hard on it but the new one will be better!

Just a thought after viewing your pics....have you considered scraping your back panel and overflow boxes? I got that advice from a couple of highend reefers/totm guys when I did my switchover and it really does make your sps's literally pop. I now keep my back panel spotless of algae, etc.

Well I was thinking of scrapping the back glass but once the coralline starts growing I will have a hard time reaching it. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Just a thought going forward during your re-build.............

OP
OP
Acronuts

Acronuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity do you guys think as a precaution I should bleach the entire system?
How about the live rock that has been sitting out in my back yard? Should I bleach them as well?

Reef UP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't bleach the live rock I'd just soak it in some Rodi water change it out a couple
Of
Times and call
It
Good

GR808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great idea to redo your tank... Now you get to do the things you've always thought about but never could do.. although that never ends.. lol
By the looks of your old tank, the new one should be spectacular.. Lots of nice colonies and color.. good luck

Back