Do you like Green Slimer?

GeoHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im just curious as to why people don't seem to like green slimer? I have heard people say they don't like it, and it seems that frags go for very cheap (it may just be a local thing). Im guessing it is because of fast growth rate, or does it produces toxic slime that might nuke my tank, or its very common? Mine grows at a moderate pace, but nothing like my Green birdsnest (which grows from a frag to a colony in like 4 months for me). Just curious as to what people thoughts are.

WesF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may very well be the hardiest, fastest, growing acro. Because of this, alot of people have it so it is pretty common. I suspect some people get a little "snobby" after a while and consider it a beginner's acro and the demand is pretty low since so many people have it.

Personally I like it, a big mature colony looks nice as long as you have the room for it.

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a cheap fast growing coral and many times a beginner sps so a lot of people have it. Some people just give frags away because it grows so fast. I personally like it, it's bright ,hardy, and stands out in the tank. Because it grows so fast and is so hardy it might be a bit of a nuisance for some people.

CoralFragZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on it being common. But I picked up a Blue tipped recently which is kind of neat. It is still growing fast. All in all I still like it. But thats not to say much I still like my green star polyps.

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always liked it, somehow managed to kill it a few years ago tho. I've looked moderately for it locally a few times but seems to have been so common people just got rid of it. Eventually I will get another piece as I don't have anything that is florescent green in either of my tanks so I think it would be a good piece to add for that reason alone.

Ace25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it, it was my first SPS coral that I got from a local that fragged me a piece. I was fragging over 12" worth of frags and giving them away for a couple years. Then I moved and crashed my tank and now I am in rebuild mode, but I still have a piece of it as well as a colony of blue tipped green slimer (but it never compares to the vivid neon green of the original).

OP
OP
GeoHawk

GeoHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, Im glad to see that Im not the only one who likes the flourscent green it has. Ive just been puzzled as to why people dont want it, but like Green Birdsnest so much. Green Birdnest is awsome, but for me it seems to double in less than a month (probably exagerated, but I have to cut mine back all the time).

brahm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dig it, can't go wrong with metallica green.. If all your corals were blue they would just blend in.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like them! Actually I have a ton of frags of mine after the rock slide. There needs to be a good contrast of colors in order for things to look really good. Pics of mine are in the latest posts of my build thread ;).

REEFKEEPER10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So want a frag. Of coarse I'm new to sps so not comfortable enough to go spending lots of money. Lol

AJreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my green slimmer; it looks good and even I (new to small polyped stonies) can not manage to hurt it. It really seems like a win win situation when your in my place. I'm sure folks get a little more excited to find that coral they have never seen before

Ms. Mermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, Im glad to see that Im not the only one who likes the flourscent green it has. Ive just been puzzled as to why people dont want it, but like Green Birdsnest so much. Green Birdnest is awsome, but for me it seems to double in less than a month (probably exagerated, but I have to cut mine back all the time).[/QUOTE

I just bought my first piece green slimmer I hope it grows like others on here. But I am curious as to what lights your are running for your green birdsnest to grow so quickly? And where do you have it placed at in the aquarium high - low in the tank??? Strong water flow or light water flow? I had s birdsnest died on me.

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may very well be the hardiest, fastest, growing acro. Because of this, alot of people have it so it is pretty common. I suspect some people get a little "snobby" after a while and consider it a beginner's acro and the demand is pretty low since so many people have it.

Personally I like it, a big mature colony looks nice as long as you have the room for it.
All of this. If it doesn't cost $150 an inch then it isn't worth having. /rollingeyes

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorites, you just can't beat the impact the green slimmer has.

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I treat mine like a red headed step child but I would be very sad if I ever lost it.

powdermonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love mine because it makes me feel like I know what I'm doing. It doesn't matter where the placement is color and growth is insane.

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started collecting sps, I made a deal with myself to choose coral based on color, shape, growth or simply put, just by how pretty they were. Green slimer is stunning. Yes, hardy and a fast grower, but stunning nonetheless. And yes, as when collects more and more, named and/or strangely colored becomes more of an addiction. Fortunately, there are lots and lots of pretty sps out there that (although named or not) are not super expensive. The green slimer is a great coral for the beginner or advanced tank.

SNAKEMANVET

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't got one yet,but will be one of the next sps corals I buy.I have seen it in other reefers tank and really like the metallic green look.

Isoprene

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love mine because it makes me feel like I know what I'm doing. It doesn't matter where the placement is color and growth is insane.

This almost exactly, I am new to the sps game especially acros and such, a couple browned on me and came back...got a small frag of the slimer from a LFS and it has stayed a vivid green and I moved it twice, its currently in the center of my main middle rock and I am really proud of it now that its encrusted and started to grow. LOVE this coral.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back