Rock flower anemones. .. oh a boys!

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was doing some work on the tank this evening and the evening lights came on. I noticed that one of my rock flower nems was standing completely erect instead of curling up for the night. We'll to my surprise he started spawning! Then his neighbor followed suit. Sooo anybody out there have a couple of nice lady nems for these fellows lol. I have a crappy phone video I will try to figure out how to post soon.

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all anemones are but Rock flowers are strictly male or female. They tend to only reproduce sexually. I am not sure there is a way to sex them unless they are spawning.

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a clip of one of mine spawning. I can't get the full length to upload. It is hard to see as my phone doesn't like the moonlight and I don't often scrap the glass down at the bottom of the tank. I am short.

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all. I was very proud of this tank. Almost everything in it spawned. Unfortunately it crashed a few days ago. I am trying to salvage what I can.

cobergas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following please update this some more. I am sitting on about 100 right now and have some really wicked colors I would like to have reproduce and need to provide a proper environment for them to do it in.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following please update this some more. I am sitting on about 100 right now and have some really wicked colors I would like to have reproduce and need to provide a proper environment for them to do it in.
Maybe if you split pairs or something into different aquariums? I suspect that a certain population density in the system probably tells them not to spawn.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back