28g nanocube from quad pc to retro LED'S.

nanoman28g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much to look at right now due to a tank crash, but a step in the right direction. 10RB 4CB 4NW 2WW from rapid LED. All crees and no optics. After 5 water changes my nitrates are still at 20ppm. I already vacuumed the rear chamber and the top of my sand bed but I think it's my sand bed where the issue is.
IMG_20130811_130230.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks good so far!

OP
OP
nanoman28g

nanoman28g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried doing many water changes(about 4 gallons each x6 times every other day), cleaned the rear chambers, vacuumed the sand bed, etc. but my nitrates level does not fall below 20ppm. I have chemipure in the rear with a new sponge. Would running Purigen help? Any other ideas? thanks.

OP
OP
nanoman28g

nanoman28g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered the upgraded media basket from "media baskets" to help things out, together with chemipure and purigen.

OP
OP
nanoman28g

nanoman28g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't updated my Thread so far, so here it is. I lost my beautiful screaming birds nest and huge purple haze after scraping of pulsing Xenias from my glass! Current look 10/2/14:
update.jpg

update2.jpg

Here is what it looked like before I messed up two months ago!:
FTS.jpg

OP
OP
nanoman28g

nanoman28g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New controller Apex Jr installed!

I added an Apex Jr with the VDM module in order to control my meanwell drivers for my LED's, my cooling fan, and return pumps. It has been working great! I didn't do such a good job with the wiring, but I made sure that I had drip loops! I also used the center removable shelf of my NC stand as an installation board for my Apex and just screwed everything horizontally.
IMG_20141104_112945_634.jpg

OP
OP
nanoman28g

nanoman28g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a build thread or more pictures of the LED build?
I only have a picture of what the lights look like once installed. The instructions online at rapid led show pictures with step by step instructions on how to do it, which were easy to follow :
IMG_20130830_134300.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
nanoman28g

nanoman28g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried doing many water changes(about 4 gallons each x6 times every other day), cleaned the rear chambers, vacuumed the sand bed, etc. but my nitrates level does not fall below 20ppm. I have chemipure in the rear with a new sponge. Would running Purigen help? Any other ideas? thanks.
To answer my own question, the test kit that I was using was expired giving me a wrong reading! I took my water to the LFS and everything was A okay.

OP
OP
nanoman28g

nanoman28g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet thanks for the reply. I am still on the fence on to retro fit or remove lid.
I hear you. If you even think of upgrading in the future, I would definitely go topless so that the light can hopefully be used on another tank or it's easier to sell. I didn't because the only way that would happen is if the tank cracked or something like that.

OP
OP
nanoman28g

nanoman28g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 12/25/14

Moved my corals around and my rock too.
FTS:
IMG_1887.jpg

Video of my current look:
[video=youtube_share;tZAKEO685VM]http://youtu.be/tZAKEO685VM[/video]

OP
OP
nanoman28g

nanoman28g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Anemone after 3 months!

It has doubled in size:
[video=youtube_share;a4qIk5kTAHU]http://youtu.be/a4qIk5kTAHU[/video]

BigdaddyO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So nanoman28, I looked at the kits from rapid led and im not sure what kit to purchase if i do, can u help me on account i know nothing about lighting and not all that much about reef tanks either. I have the jbj nano-cube 24 hqi, and i want to keep the hood thats the reason for looking to retrofit. But i guess my question is what color lights you know do i go with the broad spectrum, dimmable i really dont know. Thanks man!

OP
OP
nanoman28g

nanoman28g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So nanoman28, I looked at the kits from rapid led and im not sure what kit to purchase if i do, can u help me on account i know nothing about lighting and not all that much about reef tanks either. I have the jbj nano-cube 24 hqi, and i want to keep the hood thats the reason for looking to retrofit. But i guess my question is what color lights you know do i go with the broad spectrum, dimmable i really dont know. Thanks man!
My retro kit is kind of outdated, but this is what I would get, since it's the newer kinds of LED's that are closer to each other in clusters to reduce the disco light effect:
JBJ Nanocube 24 Aurora Puck Dimmable Retrofit Kit - Rapid LED

OP
OP
nanoman28g

nanoman28g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have any other specific questions, I would just shoot the guys at Rapid LED an email with your questions. They answered all my rookie questions very fast, and they were many of them! Good luck!

OP
OP
nanoman28g

nanoman28g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that you want to keep the stock look, but in the future, I'm going to rip the hood off, take the rim off, and I'm getting a nanobox duo, which is like $450. You could do the same and just get a nanobox mini for $300(or like $360 for extra channels and moonlight) and save the labor! The mini would have better colors due to the use of LIME on their LED cluster, and you can choose the colors of your case! Good luck with your decision.
Link to nanobox:
Nano Box Mini

Last edited:

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great customer service and fast response from them
If you have any other specific questions, I would just shoot the guys at Rapid LED an email with your questions. They answered all my rookie questions very fast, and they were many of them! Good luck!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back