how do I plumb a chiller

abirozy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

I have the JBJ 28 gallon nano intermediate (LED) and am thinking of getting a jbj arctica 1/10 hp chiller. I know they sell an install kit, but how do I plumb it with my current system? I.E. Can I use the existing pump? Upgrade the pump and then run both off the same pump and if so, how? or do I need a separate pump and if so, where do I put it? I also have an aquamaxx HOB-1 skimmer on the back, so that takes up the free chamber.

Thanks

Adam

Queensreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a small pump thats rated for the chiller and run a tube to and from the chiller. The pump can be small because it is not much head height to consider since it will be in the tank or back compartment. Careful not to under rate the flow due to the chiller.

Barryrey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a bit late for this post, assuming you already figured it out, but I just plumbed my chiller into one of my return pumps. I replaced the stock pumps with MJ1200's and have them both running full time. Works just fine. I have the metal halide version and without the chiller I was getting such a huge temp swing, getting up to 84 degrees. Now it is steady at 78, of course my electrical bill went up.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope this might illustrate better than me trying to describe it, I have my chiller Tee'd off my main return and back to the sump.

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question avasquez. Why did you return the chiller through the UV? Wouldn't you want it before so you don't kill the stuff before it hits the chiller?

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question avasquez. Why did you return the chiller through the UV? Wouldn't you want it before so you don't kill the stuff before it hits the chiller?

UV's don't really "kill" anything (but that's a different topic)...

IMO it doesn't really make that big of a difference, but the UV is on after the Chiller and dumps back into the sump.
Return Pump->Chiller->UV->Filter Sock->Sump
I have the return off the UV dumping into one of the two socks for added particle filtration.

Hope that helps?

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%

Back