Protein skimmer JBJ nano cube

kosh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been wanting to add a decent skimmer to my nano cube so I finally purchased a HOB one, the problem is to make it work I had to give up my center compartment Filtration. I was using the JBJ Sponge, in the center Charcoal, and the bottom level contained GFO. This concerned me a bit, but I have only been in the hobby for a little over a year and I wanted to see what you all thought...

I have a second option which is move the HOB skimmer to the left most chamber and give up the one pump and the skimmer will let the water out into the smaller section where I currently have my heater.

I thought I researched enough on this but I guess I did not. Do you have any thoughts on this as to what is an acceptable trade off?

racin2438

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a JBJ 30g, we got the Hydor Nano skimmer, it never worked right.

Got fed up with it, took it out moved the 1 filter basket on the right and doubled it in the left side compartment, made a small platform to fit in the right side and add live rock rubble, and some calurpa for a mini fuge...

I would just say DO weekly WC, and you won't need the skimmer.

Last edited:

dturner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got an aquamaxx hob-1 for my jbj 28 and I love it. It's pulled out a ton of green skimmate a couple days in. Very pleased. It's a little more expensive than most skimmers but you get what you pay for. Plus this one doesn't take up the center compartment.

nanoman28g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do religious weekly water changes (3 gallons per week) and have had great results with no skimmer for years on my NC 28G. Great coral growth, etc.

nanoman28g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must admit that after adding a BTA recently to my NC28G I did reinstall my AquaC Remora nano skimmer just to be safe, but it never seems to pull out any skimmate. Maybe because theres nothing to pull due to the weekly water changes and only once a day feedings?

Jeppun21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
go with a tunze 9001 skimmer great little skimmer for the tank and is a perfect fit

nanoman28g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
go with a tunze 9001 skimmer great little skimmer for the tank and is a perfect fit
Yeah, but I think that you would have to get rid of your media basket right? According to what I have read, the Aquamax-1 HOB is the best skimmer for this case, hence the price point.

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your using the intank media basket you should be able to fit the tunze 9001 in the middle chamber with it. I believe they have a video on their site showing the different configurations or am I thinking the biocube.

dturner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I have to say the aquamaxx hob-1 puts out an obnoxious amount of microbubbles when it's sitting in the skimmer column. Especially lately for some reason. It's seriously ruining my reef experience it's so bad. The new HOB-1 is a different design than the old ones and doesn't hang quite as low in the tank as the old ones. It's really a shame. I had to cut the pipes back quite a bit to let the top open to the 2nd notch. So... Proceed with caution. I think I'm going to do away with my inTank media basket and put the skimmer in its place to help alleviate microbubbles. I'm running a BRS media reactor with high capacity gfo now. My phosphates were at .07 (Hanna checker) and I was running a normal size serving of chemi pure blue in the bottom section so I doubt the chemi pure is even helping that much... So really the only benefit of the media basket for me is the mechanical filtration from my filter pad on the top layer. Anyone have any suggestions for a good way of removing debris (dog and cat hair specifically) without using a media basket?

zoo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sapphire aquatics is a great skimmer. I dont know if they still make them though. i could use another mesh wheel impeller. if anyone has on please contact me

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back