Daniel's JBJ Advanced LED 28 gallon reef aquarium

dturner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, just setting up a 28 gallon JBJ aquarium, advanced led version. I bought it from someone getting out of the hobby. I am strongly considering downsizing from my 120 gallon reef tank to this tank. I feel like I spend endless money on the tank and have been unable to keep LPS corals alive for over a year now for some unknown reason. I have all the best equipment and filtration on it and a full separate 30 gallon fuge that I keep about half full of chaeto if I remember to trim it. So bottom line is I'm shutting it down.

I plan to transfer all of my prized corals from my 120 display tank to this new tank and sell the rest. Keep a few of my longtime fish, but I'm thinking my leopard wrasse and McCoskers flasher wrasse would be too big for this tank. Especially coming from a 120 gallon tank full of live rock. I'm going to stick to high end corals and make the tank look nice.

Currently running the standard filtration basket and used my own filter pads, phosguard and BRS rox 0.8 carbon in media bags in second basket layer. Will consider adding a skimmer, preferably the air pump driven jbj skimmer. I want something that fits inside the back with no chance of water spilling outside the tank, so that rules HOB skimmers out.

Right now I just have standard return pumps installed on a 20 second alternating timer. Just added a Korellia 450 nano pump and I'm satisfied with the flow. Might swap it out for a wp10 sometime in the near future.

Anyways, I haven't spent a lot of time on aquascaping yet, I need more rock so what you're seeing is definitely not the finished product. I'll try to keep updating with photos as I go.

Thanks for looking, Daniel.

[URL=http://s1147.photobucket.com/user/dturner7/media/IMG_2120_zps67fc6802.jpg.html]

[/URL]

Last edited:

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. I'll be following along. I have one I picked up used with a bunch of other reef equipment and was thinking about setting it up. It's the HQI with 150W MH though and was thinking of converting to LEDs so I don't have to run a chiller.

OP
OP
dturner

dturner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha yeah you're right. This was right after I set it up and hadn't put any energy into it yet. Here's today's tank:
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1411999586.515317.jpg

OP
OP
dturner

dturner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have more pics soon. Waiting on a couple gel camera filters to come in to filter out all the blue. The tank is nowhere near as blue as the pictures look. Can't wait to post some realistically colored pics over the next day or two. It's come a long way since my original post. I've just been lazy posting pics.

FishnFriendz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait to see more pics. I am with you, I downside my 90gal tank to 30gal, and I find more time to enjoy it than ever. The only thing I miss is my purple tang :(

OP
OP
dturner

dturner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I actually did upgrade to the inTank media basket a month or two ago and I'm so glad I did. I've got a Korellia nano and the standard return pumps running with pretty sufficient flow right now. Maybe down the road I'll swap the Korellia out for a wp. I am a big fan of jebao products so far.

nanoman28g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I actually did upgrade to the inTank media basket a month or two ago and I'm so glad I did. I've got a Korellia nano and the standard return pumps running with pretty sufficient flow right now. Maybe down the road I'll swap the Korellia out for a wp. I am a big fan of jebao products so far.
Excellent!

Jeppun21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my suggestion would be go with a mp vortech pump.. it would be better look wise so their wont be any wires in the tank plus it has a variety of speed functionalities. Just my 2 cents.. Though the only problem would be cost on the pumps would be through the roof..

Last edited:
OP
OP
dturner

dturner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my suggestion would be go with a mp vortech pump.. it would be better look wise so their wont be any wires in the tank plus it has a variety of speed functionalities. Just my 2 cents.. Though the only problem would be cost on the pumps would be through the roof..

If the mp10 was more in my price range I would totally consider it. Just can't justify that kind of money for a power head. I know they rock though. Space wise it would fit perfect. Maybe jebao will come out with an actual wet and dry side mimic soon.

OP
OP
dturner

dturner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some nice stuff from Jason Fox and Joe knows reefs at the MAMAX saltwater show in VA beach. Tank is really filling up! I love the way it looks when this stocked with corals... A luxury I never had and could never have afforded with my 120 gallon I migrated from.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1413778338.150249.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1413778360.415380.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1413778376.494902.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1413778392.828266.jpg

nanoman28g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! I also have a BTA which is doing good so far, but there are barely any corals around it. Yours seems to be surrounded by corals. Isn't that going to be a problem for you later down the line?

OP
OP
dturner

dturner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Yeah, I don't think it will be a problem. I'll just move the corals as the bta grows like I've done previously. It's worth the sacrificed space to have one.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back