Lbs live rock needed?

dugan127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many pounds of rock do you have in your 28 gal tanks? LFS is telling us 1 1/2 to 2 lbs per gallon. If we put that much in are we going to have any room for anything else?

joshbbert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically a pound per gallon I would imagine there live rock was 8$ a lb and thats why he wants you stacked to the brim. I would put 20 to 25 lbs in a 28 and a sand bed depending on my aquascape

danangelo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya it depends on your filtration you can get away with minimal rocks in the DT I would get a porous rocks like pukani so there's plenty of surface area for beneficial bacteria to grow on..

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also depend on your animals. Fish that eat and pee a lot will need more rock (to convert the ammonia). If mostly coral, then less rock, and possibly just shallow sand.

racin2438

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We a JBJ 30g rimless and have about 25 lbs of rock up against back wall, but then have 3 Hydor-Korelias, 2 on wave maker other constant on to circulate water plus the main pumps.

nanoman28g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got about 1 pound per gallon on my NC28G. Did you buy the rock already? If not I would get dry rock from Marine Depot or something like that, since this has two advantages: less expensive, and you can avoid most pests that LR has when you buy it. It can even be shipped standard. Cheers.

Pfisherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that the pounds per gallon is very useful, as some rock is much heavier than others. just make a pile that you think is beautiful and remember the more rocks the better and you will probably be fine.

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that the pounds per gallon is very useful, as some rock is much heavier than others. just make a pile that you think is beautiful and remember the more rocks the better and you will probably be fine.
This...rock is very variable in weight. I dont think 1.4-2lbs per gallon is too much in a lot of cases with dense rock. If you use dry rock you can usually get away with significantly less. Technically you dont need any, but it helps a lot with natural filtration. I would highly recommend actual live rock though. I've always had more healthy tanks quicker when I start them with live rock rather than dry.

Rausch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with about 20 lbs of Live sand and about 20 lbs of Live rock in a 36 gallon and im glad i went with less then the recommended pound per gallon! Just because it left a lot more room in the long run to add larger coral colonies and be able to purchase bigger pieces with coral and not have to shove them in... It looked a little bare in the beginning but after a few months you will find plenty of pieces you want :bowl:

talwen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would worry so much about how many pounds you buy. You can get one huge rock from marco rocks that doesnt weight anything that will fill up the tank. I would look at what type of aquascape you want to do and go from there.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back