will be moving need to down size and want to keep a slice of my hard work with me......

Strange Addiction

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been a member of r2r for a couple years, I mainly have hung in the weeds just watching and reading. Its one if not the best forum I have come across. Ive been looking at JBJ nanos I currently have a 40 breeder with not much in it ive gotten down to a 20 gal tall with a few specimens in it and a clown also a 8 gal bio cube with several specimens and a neon goby. I would like to keep what I have most all are leather/soft and one type of lsp that came years ago on a piece of rock, grows fast pink in color close to a monti blue on the underside. The thing is it doesn't grow like a plate it adheres to what ever and depending on flow may grow upward into sculptures. I have never had a proper ID and cant find one, it is also very very hardy. I love the stuff and want to insure it goes with me along with some other pieces im sure anyone who has moved knows what I mean. I have been looking at JBJ 28 nanos with a top out at $750-$800 on the high end what would some of you guys and gals that have owned them think the best plug and play for the buck should I be looking at......Thanks In advance Kev,

OP
OP
Strange Addiction

Strange Addiction

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, no ideas! Please need some advice which JBJ would you put your hard earned cash into with a top of $750-$800 and why?

McAllyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Standard JBJ 28 Nano CF should run you under $500. That's what I ran for a couple years and any softies/low light LPS should do more than fine. Use the extra for a doser and/or auto top-off. I ran a small skimmer on mine, but had just as much luck doing 5g weekly water changes.

Now, outside of the JBJ line, I just bought a Red Sea Max 130, and so far, I prefer it to the JBJ, for no other reason that it's truly All-Inclusive. Lights, skimmer, pumps, heater, timers, all run by a master control power station. Also, I find the hood allows better access into the system and it's laid out more side-to-side then the front-to-back focus of the JBJ's.

Mac

Barryrey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the JBJ 28 gallon Nanocube for around five years now, see my short thread on restarting it again. I had been out of the hobby for five or six years before purchasing the Nanocube. I previously had a 50 gallon with a external overflow and sump. I was intrigued by the smaller Nanocubes when I would see them at the LFS along with the all-in-one form factor.

Well after having it for awhile I can tell you that I really miss not having a sump. The chambers in the rear of most of these all-in-one tanks are very limiting.

Changing the bulbs on the JBJ Nanocube is also a bit of a pain. You have to completely remove the lid, it pops out of the hinges. When doing so you always feel like you are going to break the plastic hinges.

I would take hard look at some of their newer rimless models. Lighting might be a bit more expensive though going that route. If you do stay with the JBJ Nanocube look into upgrading the media basket with one from InTanks along with upgrading the return pumps to MJ1200's or something similar. As mentioned by McAllyn, definitely look into a ATO. With the small chambers it doesn't take long for the pump area to get too low, especially if you are gone for a few days. I went with the JBJ ATO with a Tom's Aqualifter pump.

Good luck with your move, keep us updated on what you decide and hit me up if you have any other questions about the JBJ Nanocube.

gidenski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does everyone think about the Innovative Marine Nuvo series? I have a larger tank, but was thinking of a Nano because I like the challenge i had from my previous tank.

Scubafrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JBJ also has a 28G LED Intermediate cube aquarium. Only $389.99 w/ free stand online. The LED's would keep you from having to change bulbs like the CF version.

Scubafrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does everyone think about the Innovative Marine Nuvo series? I have a larger tank, but was thinking of a Nano because I like the challenge i had from my previous tank.

The IM Nuvo nanos are nice but more expensive and they don't include the lighting which can add a lot and SA was trying to stay under $800. Tank, stand and lighting would make out that budget I believe.

racin2438

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We bought a JBJ nano 30g rimless with the built in filter compartment with pumps and basket media. We bought a Kessel A350W separately and in looks and runs perfesctly..

For $259.00

Tek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The JBJ 30G or 45G with a Kessil or one of the Nano LEDs, skimmer, and ATO would be a good start. Should be right around your budget.

NJHC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exactly what I'm looking to do, does anyone want to share some pictures of your nanos? Innovative look nice 20g, comes with "everything" you need

nanoman28g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go for the Nuvo Fusion Series instead! I have a NC 28G and a 10G Nuvo Fusion and the glass clarity on the Fusion( Low Iron glass) is 100 times better than the curved glass on my NC! And no more curved glass for me either, since there are many horror stories. Trust me.

Last edited:

nanoman28g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The IM Nuvo nanos are nice but more expensive and they don't include the lighting which can add a lot and SA was trying to stay under $800. Tank, stand and lighting would make out that budget I believe.
But the glass on the Nuvo Fusion nanos is much much better to look at. I should know, since I have both of these kinds of tanks.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.6%
Back