Jbj nano-cube 24 hqi

BigdaddyO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello i just joined r2r and am glad to find they have this club. I havent even added water to this tank yet on the account i am waiting to get money to buy the stuff like everything like sand and rock to skimmer and wavemaker. Anyway i compared prices between marine depot and bulkreef supply, and it seems like id save about $150.00 going with brs. I am hoping that someone from here can help me with getting the right stuff because i want to keep the hood and am worried if i get the wrong skimmer the hood wont fit and should i keep the hqi or is there a great led retrofit kit thats not to expensive? Well if any of you could help me out that would be great. also if anyone has any of this stufff for sale that be cool. thanks yall.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a JBJ 28 which takes the same hood as the 24. I had both an HQI hood and a CF hood and was in the same boat you are in, considering LEDs. The issue with HQI, is that unless you are running a chiller, the tank will run hot.

Either the JBJ LED hood or any retro fit kit were too costly. So what I did was purchase an Evergreen light (I think that was the name....same as Reefbreeder) and built a hood for the tank. This also allowed me to run a skimmer within the tank itself. I'm currently using a Tunze 9004 in the tank.

Canopyfinished.jpg

If you use a conventional hood, you are limited to the skimmers....especially within the back portion of the tank. To the best of my knowledge, the only skimmer that fit in the back portion of the tank, sacrificing the baskets, was the Tunze 9002 (of which you had to cut off the magnets). If you wish to keep a conventional hood, go for one of the HOB skimmers.

Barryrey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out InTank at shop.mediabaskets.com. Just follow the site for you tank model and they list all the products that will fit your tank. I have the Tunze 9001 in my 28NC, smaller than the 9002. StevieT is great and will answer all your questions. You will find there is a big debate on how helpful skimmers are on Nanos and if you are better off with just water changes. I just added the one on my tank about a month ago. The jury is still out for me. I don't like the fact that I had to remove the media basket. The InTank media baskets are a huge difference compared to the stock one.

The other thing you want to look at is flow within the tank. When i redid mine I broke down and went with a MP10, pricey but does a great job with water movement. Good luck with your tank.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I mounted my 12g nano hood above the tank to allow for more equipment in the back amongst other things. Here's a pic:
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1427641343.341678.jpg

OP
OP
B

BigdaddyO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! Redfishbluefish, That is a very nice build! I think i might go with you design. Was thinking of just cutting the space out of the hood for the light like you did on your hood but am afraid that mine would be to close. If i had dimmable leds do you think i could get away with it? without harming the coral.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! Redfishbluefish, That is a very nice build! I think i might go with you design. Was thinking of just cutting the space out of the hood for the light like you did on your hood but am afraid that mine would be to close. If i had dimmable leds do you think i could get away with it? without harming the coral.

If you can dim the lights, I think you'll be ok. When budget allows, I'd get a driver. They make things so much easier!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back