OP
o2manyfish

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, 30 minutes later look what I have....

Bangai_1.jpg

Bangai_2.jpg

Bangai_3.jpg

lakeviewink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very inspiring. I like to hear of people being in por vida no matter what. The journey is far from over!! I'm glad to hear you are healthy!

OP
OP
o2manyfish

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Novice Guy,

People come visit all the time to see the tank. I don't know that its worth the trip on its own. But anyone that's coming out to the Pacific is always welcome to stop by and chat about the fish and corals.

Just let me know you're coming so I can wipe down the glass.

Dave B

DecanoLA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read everything (after drooling into the live stream) and it was truly inspirational! I almost started crying every time you had a tank crash, and then your illness... geeez, it seems you dont go down easily! The tank looks amazing...

Question: how do you keep the outside frag-tanks temp. (and at what temp.) on winter nights (I know its not that cold here in LA, but it aint the south pacific either!)

OP
OP
o2manyfish

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DecanoLA,

All the tanks inside and out are connected to the central filtratin sump (100g). For the many years I used Titanium 300w and 800w Finnex heaters. But the Finnex 800w heaters only last about a year or so and then they are toast. And before the Apex, when the temp dropped on a cold night I didn't know.

So last year I installed a Commercial 220v 5000w Titanium immersion heater. Our winter wasn't too bad this past year, and the heater did an awesome job of keeping the 1100g stable and not having to run that much to do it.

Dave B

OP
OP
o2manyfish

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, for temp I ran the system at 79.5 for the winter. But now that spring has come and summer is imminent I turned the system temp down to 78 to give me some more room for the summer heat to heat up the system before there are issues.

Dave B

jonny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy mother of pearl, amazing read! Amazing tank! Amazing amazingness! Thanks for sharing this with us!

RandyO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great story. Thanks for sharing.

Now did I miss it somewhere, but did you mention the salt brand that you were using before the switch?

OP
OP
o2manyfish

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jonny,

Glad I could entertain you :)

RandyO,

The Salt manufacturer does a lot to help support my hobby. When I had my frag tanks set up I would rescue RTN'ing corals from the LAX wholesalers and then frag or rehabilitate the corals outside.

Then when people had tank crashes (local or anywhere in the states) I would donate frag packs to help get them back on their feet.

To maintain 2200g of outdoor tanks can get costly, so different vendors will donate different items to help out. The salt vendor has helped me for many years, and it was one batch of salt, that was sitting outside for several years. Whatever was wrong or went wrong with it only affected the corals. The fish did well.

So I don't want to sully a good vendors name when I don't have proof that they were to blame.

Dave B

OP
OP
o2manyfish

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulled the camera out this weekend and mostly shot some fish pics.

This coral I have had for close to a year and it's developing nice blue tips on the coral, growth is not much, but when all my parameters are dialed in the color is great.
May_1.jpg

The girlfriend's Achilles
May_2.jpg

Purple Rim Cap
May_3.jpg

Two Montis with nice growth
May_4.jpg

Red Sea Regal and Bellus
May_5.jpg

Starki Damsel
May_6.jpg

Borbonious
May_7.jpg

Gold flake Angel
May_8.jpg

Male Bellus Angel
May_9.jpg

I don't know what these are called. Many years ago they were rumored to eat red bugs. I find them pretty and have maybe as many as 10 of them in the tank. They are spread out all over the tank. But when the lights go off 5-6 of them huddle together inside a Blue Rim monti cap.
May_10.jpg

Feeding Time. Wish I could get clearer and sharper pcitures of this nature, but my camera skills are very basic.
May_11.jpg

Full Tank Shot May 2013
May_12.jpg

OP
OP
o2manyfish

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never Enough

So the tank has been doing so well for the past 18 months that I got the bug to start growing out frags again.

So I pulled an old frag tank out of storage and setup a frag tank outside in the yard (again).

fragsetup_1.jpg

fragsetup_2.jpg

fragsetup_3.jpg

fragsetup_4.jpg

fragsetup_5.jpg

fragsetup_6.jpg

So once it was setup in the yard, it was a a quick run of pipe to plumb the frag tank to the outdoor sump.

The first week the frag tank turned into a diatom field day. I was wiping the glass and the bottom every 18 hours to see into the tank. Fortunately the rest of the system (this is connected to the display tank) didn't have any issues. So it was just an issue with the glass in the frag tank.

So this week started adding brown corals to the system.

frag_1.jpg

frag_2.jpg

frag_3.jpg

frag_4.jpg

So this is totally exposed to the sun, no shade, cloth or filters. I'm using a commercial fan at the moment for evaporative cooling.

I'll try to post photos weekly to show how the brown corals come back to life.

Dave B

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back