o2manyfish - 750g Display Tank, 1500g System with Outdoor Frag Tanks

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome additions Dave, wish you the best with them .

Servo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised those ****** Aquabee pumps that come standard with Deltec equip. haven't taken a big crap on you. That is more impressive than your beautiful tank! Keep the updates coming!

OP
OP
o2manyfish

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a Lens Hood to try some top down shots of the tank. Camera is a 70D with a 100mm Macro lens, Handheld, Auto White Balance.

Macro Acro 1 - July 27, 2014.jpg

Macro Acro 2 - July 27, 2014.jpg

Macro Acro 3 - July 27, 2014.jpg

Macro Acro 4 - July 27, 2014.jpg

Macro Acro 5 - July 27, 2014.jpg

Macro Acro 6 - July 27, 2014.jpg

Macro Acro 7 - July 27, 2014.jpg

Macro Acro 8 - July 27, 2014.jpg

Macro Acro 9 - July 27, 2014.jpg

Macro Acro 10 - July 27, 2014.jpg

OP
OP
o2manyfish

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brett,

Thanks.... Wasted about 50 shots trying to shoot the fish with the Macro Lens, but the lens just isn't fast enough (focus) and I can't manual focus fast enough to catch the fish. Have to try again on another night to get some fish pics.

Dave

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read through this thread, wow! I was expecting yet another tank thread, but got a very interesting reefer autobiography :)I remember your postings way back when on RC but didn't know all the detail of your system(s). Glad to see the tank doing well again, and the SPS look very healthy in the last pics.

With all the fish in your system are you are on some type of carbon/bacteria dosing scheme? What is your current nitrate reading?

Curious how you keep nutrients in check because I am running a system with more fish than I've ever had (25 fish in a 115g), and it's doing phenomenal with great SPS health and growth. I am using prodibio, skimmer, and moderate water changes to keep my nitrates around 10ppm, po4 is currently .04.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Loving this build and all the great eye-candy! Following!

OP
OP
o2manyfish

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YHSublime, The fish room is not that large a room, and we have a couch across from the tank. The tank being 8' by the time I get far enough across the room to get a full tank shot you can't really see any detail in the tank. However, if you would like to see a full tank shot wait till after 5pm Pacific time and go to my live webcam at www.o2manyfish.com/camera.html - You get full shot of the tank, and if the camera is working properly you can pan tilt and zoom to look at the entire tank and zoom in to the polyp level for any particular coral - Camera is on 24/7 but not always a good view if I have been lazy on my algae duties.

Dave B

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YHSublime, The fish room is not that large a room, and we have a couch across from the tank. The tank being 8' by the time I get far enough across the room to get a full tank shot you can't really see any detail in the tank. However, if you would like to see a full tank shot wait till after 5pm Pacific time and go to my live webcam at www.o2manyfish.com/camera.html - You get full shot of the tank, and if the camera is working properly you can pan tilt and zoom to look at the entire tank and zoom in to the polyp level for any particular coral - Camera is on 24/7 but not always a good view if I have been lazy on my algae duties.

Dave B

Haha, very cool. I'm in the same predicament, I had to get a whole new lens for a FTS! Will check the webcam tonight! Cheers!

OP
OP
o2manyfish

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jackson6745,

I just had my water parameter tested last week using a new technology to check all slew of parameters, and the nitrate were 0. I give credit to that in the fact that the tank alone has over 1000's of rock. The rock is only 1 layer deep, I used the fiberglass grating under the rock as a foundation so there is lots of water movement around the rocks. The entire bottom of the tank and underside of the rock are covered in millions upon millions of tiny feather dusters. Outside I have a 240 tomato bin with several hundred more pound of rock, a large chaetomorpha cluster that is lit by the sun, and also a 5' fluidized sand bed. The fluidized filter really gives me a huge boost at maintaining a high fish population with plenty of clean water.

I don't do water changes. I rely on heavy evaporation - this week with the 100 degree weather, I may go through 40g of topoff a day. And I replace all the water with Kalkwasser, if the pH is low enough.

Dave B

OP
OP
o2manyfish

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jackson6745,

Almost forgot, I topoff with Kalk, I run a Calc Rx, I add Potassium a couple of times a month. I add Acro power when I remember. I have a never properly functioning bio pellet reactor.

The test last week shows my phosphates at .14......

So I may be adding some GFO.

Dave B

OP
OP
o2manyfish

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the outside frag tank was originally intended for frags, I have a field of xenia that has flourished out in the sun. So all the brown bushes that you see in the tank is pulsing xenia.

Corals on the left side have been outside for awhile. Most of the corals on the right eggcrate have only been outside a couple of days.
Outside FtS 1.jpg

The purple one in the center is super bright. This is under straight sun, no blue light added.
Outside FtS 1a.jpg

Outside FtS 1b.jpg

Everything bushy along the top of the pic is Xenia
Outside FtS 1c.jpg

Outside FtS 1d.jpg

Outside FtS 1e.jpg

The corals in the bottom left of the photo came out of a friend's tank that sold his house with a built in 225. These corals have been outside a couple of weeks. The corals are showing some nice green and the other is a pink prostrata.
Outside FtS 1f.jpg

Outside FtS 1g.jpg

Outside FtS 1h.jpg

This is my rock sump. It's filled with several hundred pounds of rock and the fluidized sand filter. This is where the baby Bangai have been growing out. The tank has a couple of different clowns, a yellow tang, a copper band and an abundance of Aptasia. I keep saying I am going to pull out all the rock and sun bleach it, but I always find some excuse to just let it keep growing. This has my cheato colony in it on the left side. THe chaeto clump is about 2' deep and almost 4' across and 1' wide. I am able to pull a 5g bucket of chaeto out every few weeks.
Outside FtS 2A.jpg

So thats the status of the outside tanks. I hope to have some photos of some nicely colored corals in the next few weeks.

On a seperate note, I recently was granted access to some cool equipment for testing water quality. The phosphates of the system came back at .14. I had it double checked and the test was accurate. I have the inexpensive Hanna Colorimeter and it measured .13. $60 vs $400k - Not bad reading.

I put some GFO online in an old Deltec Fluidized reactor and in a week had dropped the Phosphate down to .03.

But all the pictures taken in the past month, and all the coral colors were in a high nutrient tank.

I am interested to see what things look like in a month or so if I can keep the nutrients down.

Dave B

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back