NeveSSL's 180g Mixed Reef

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I have been in the hobby since about 2006, but recently took a 2 year hiatus due to losing interest, moving, being extremely busy at work, and a few other things. I knew I'd get back in once my wife and I bought a house, and we did that back in March. The wheels in my head have been turning about another tank since January, though. :D I've always wanted a 180g (mainly due to hoping to keep an achilles tang), and finally had the opportunity when a very nice gentleman down in Alabama decided to give all of his stuff away to whomever could get there first. I scored the tank, stand, some rock, new sand in the bag, a skimmer, and various odds and ends. Couldn't be more ecstatic about this! And certainly have a hard time believing this happened! Many, many thanks to Jimmy, the gentleman who gave his tank to me. I'm hoping to do the tank justice. :)

This is a Glass-Cages tank from about 6 or 7 years ago. What does that mean? It means its 1/2" glass all the way around with euro-bracing on EVERYthing. :squigglemouth: It weighs at least 300lbs I believe. Built like a (wait for it...) tank, though, and I feel comfortable placing it in my formal dining room. :) This is how is sits today:

DSC_4002_zps35e025bd.jpg

Its laying on its back due to bulkheads still being attached to it. Will be cutting those out tomorrow. :)

This build is going to be a bit slow. I'm doing this with extra money and am taking my time with it. My goal is to have everything up and running 100% by next April, which is when our next local frag swap is.

Here's the plan, as it stands:
  • Tank: 180g Glass Cages
  • Skimmer: Reef Octopus Extreme 250 (with 2 Sicce PSK 2500s)
  • Lights: Definitely LED, probably ReefBreeders value fixtures. I just can't justify the extra cost for sunrise/sunset features.
  • Return Pump: One of the DC models, probably a Waveline. 3000GPH at 85 watts? Yes, please.
  • Water Circulation: WP40s and WP25s most likely
  • Control: No clue yet. Looking into a Reef Angel, had an Apex in the past and loved it. I think there was a new controller announced at MACNA today, too.
  • Sump: Rubbermaid 100g Stock Tank
  • Other: Thinking about doing a remote deep sand bed, and algae turf scrubber, bio pellets, and a few other things. Not entirely sure yet.
I believe that sums it up fairly well for now. I'm sure some of it will change, but this is the plan as it stands now.

So, tonight I tried to get a few things done. I wanted to get the rock bleached this weekend and get some of the horrible stench out of my garage (the heat index is triple digits this week, so the heat was making that rock STINK). Here is all of the rock I got out of the tank Wednesday:

DSC_4011_zpsd23f3288.jpg

This was just after hosing it down, trying to wash off all the debris, algae, and all other things I could before sticking it into the bleach.

Decided to put this on the little deck next to the door in our garage that leads to the back yard. Bad idea. Right after I filled it, one whole corner took a DIVE. Scared the CRAP out of me, but no permanent damage and all is well overall. Looks like I'll be buying a 4x4 tomorrow.

DSC_4013_zps675574dc.jpg

So, lesson learned. Drained the water out of the trash can, pulled it back into the garage, and filled it back up again.

So now the rock is soaking in a Continental Huskee (Brute alternative) 44g garbage can with an MJ1200 and MJ900 for circulation. I've got all of the pumps I found and the heaters soaking in vinegar and I washed the 100g stock tank that I will be using for a sump out as it had the drainings (for lack of a better word) from the live rock transport. Overall, a fairly productive night. But its time for bed for now. I'm exhausted, plus I've got to get up early to study (working on IT certifications.

I am beyond excited to get this build started!

Brandon

Last edited:

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along.... nice job Brandon!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Lindsey!

Norman! Thanks! Glad to see you around! Its been a while. :)

Brandon

Jmcdaniel0

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am excited to see how this turns out! I registered here just so I could follow along!

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha! Thanks, Josh! :) This is a great forum, FWIW.

Brandon

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a little bit more done last night, thanks to my awesome wife. I got the rest of the bulkheads out (had to do some creative cutting with the Dremel on one of them to get it out) while she got all of the starboard and sand out that she could. Today I'm planning on working on my live rock since its now been bleached for 2 days.

I'm also planning on getting everything out of its vinegar bath, do some final scrubbing, and going through all of the pumps I have and trying to see which ones work and which ones do not.

Brandon

Last edited:
OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha! Thanks, Nate. Glad to have you along, and also excited to see your 240 come together!

Brandon

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can click on the photos for the larger versions. ;) I didn't want the page to be way over blown with the size of the pics. :) I would rather click than have to scroll to see the large pic, so that's why I went this route.

However, I should have mentioned this in the first post! DOH!

Brandon

Last edited:
OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been able to get quite a bit done over the last few days, especially tonight. I drained and carried in to pour down the drain both my 44g brute full of bleach water and my partially filled 100g stock tank full of vinegar water one... 5g bucket... at... a... time... :tsk: I am glad that is over. My wife and I are both now seriously considering putting a utility sink in the garage!

Anyway, got all of the rock out and laid it out in the drive way so it can soak up some rays for a few days. I'll then do an RO/DI soak and leave it out to dry one or two more times. Then it will finally be time for SALTWATER and cycling those rocks! That's exciting.

I also finished cleaning the skimmer, loc line, the 20g long I'm going to use for a dedicated refugium, and a few other odds and ends.

This skimmer is a BEAST! I can't wait to get it running when I start cycling. Here's a picture of the somewhat clean skimmer (no point in making it spotless in my mind... not to mention I can't access the bottom):

IMG_20130905_205805018_zps21637064.jpg

Here is all the rock laid out to dry:

IMG_20130905_205742221_zpsea633fc3.jpg

And finally, an overall pic of my garage, in all of its reefing glory:

IMG_20130905_205823070_zpsa88341ab.jpg

Up next, drying and soaking the bleached rocks.

Brandon

Last edited:

Jmcdaniel0

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't you have dropped your return pump in there and ran a drain line, and sucked it out?

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. I don't have a pump that can push that much head to our half-bath... at least not yet, anyway.

My Mag 12 probably could have done it if it had an impeller, but its got a needlewheel in it at the moment. :)

Brandon

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little bit more progress this weekend.

Sold the 150g to a coworker who is going to use it as a terrarium. Had my boss help me flip this beast over while he was there helping with the 150g (he's also a reefer... actually found my job 5 years ago through our local reef club) so its now upright. The sand is now dry, so I broke it up with a nylon brush. I need to measure and get some glass pieces to cover those holes on the bottom soon. I also need to get that overflow out and clean the coraline off. Thinking about doing that with some vinegar/water spray. Here's the tank now:

IMG_20130907_183150171_zpsa58d7ca0.jpg

IMG_20130907_183158776_zps22a7e9ab.jpg

Also pulled my rocks back in after 2 days of sun bathing. About to go check the RO/DI now to see if the rocks are covered in my 100g stock tank. Hopefully they will be... its been going for a while.

We're also doing a group buy with Jebao pumps in our local reef club. Phenomenal prices. I'm going to pickup 3 of the DC12000 pumps. I will probably use two of them and have a third one as a backup. Also gonna grab some WP40s and maybe a WP25 or two. That should provide PLENTY of flow for the tank! And all for under $500! Not bad at all!

Progress is slow, but its fairly steady! I think my wife is just as excited about having another tank as I am, so that always helps! :)

Now I've got to figure out how I want to plumb this beast!

Brandon

Last edited:
OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a little bit done this weekend. Changed out the RO/DI water the rocks were soaking in. Almost all of the bleach smell is gone, which is awesome. I'm going to add some dechlorinator to it soon and then let it stew for another couple of days. After that, I've got the next batch of water ready and may add salt to it and start cycling the rocks. :)

Brandon

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleach will disapate with just open air. No need to add dechlorinator. Thats a great thing about bleach. With time its gone by itself.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 33.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back