A Low Country Reef Tank....one more final upgrade

SPotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here I go again with another final upgrade build. This is my first build thread on Reef2Reef so I am looking forward to meeting some new members on here. Here is a little info on my previous system.... I had set up 72x36x28 in March of 2012 that was running until June 2013 when my wife and I decided to sell our home in NJ and move to SC. At which point I sold the tank, stand, sump and lighting as well as all of my livestock. We are now in the process of building a house that should be done February/March 2014 and if I have it my way, the new tank will be delivered the day after the closing….I've been going nuts not having a tank to tinker with. Now onto the new system……

Display: 96"x36"x24" still deciding on glass/acrylic and who will build the tank for me.
Stand: Steel
Filtration: Rubbermaid Stock tanks…100g sump, 100g fuge and 150g live rock bin
Lighting: Going old school with 4 x 250w Metal Halides and VHO Super Actinic.
Circulation: My wife asked that on this tank there be none to as little as possible equipment in the tank so I am going to go with 2 closed loop systems powered by DC pumps. My goal on this tank will be to concentrate more on chaotic flow patterns than on overall turnover rates.
Return Pump: Not sure yet
Skimmer: I will be selling my ATB 10.5 because it won't be big enough and will be going with an external skimmer. Based on some recent reviews and feedback by some reefers that I really trust I will be going with a Skimz skimmer.
UV Sterilizer: 120w Emperor Aquatics HO UV
Fish Room: Since there are no basements in the Low Country and I am not a huge fan of having the equipment under the tank I will be running 6 pvc lines from where the tank is, thru my crawl space and into my garage where I will be building a fish room. I thought about not building the fish room but the summers are hot with daily temps that start at 85 for the low and reach high 90's so cooling would be an issue. Dimensions of the fish room have not been finalized yet but it will have its own cooling system thru the use of a mini split ac system.
Water Storage: 2 x 165g water storage tanks
Water Changes: I will be doing daily wc's with a LiterMeter3 that I picked up with the water storage tanks. I will do a bulk water change every 3 weeks to vacuum the sand and remove detritus
Dosing: Given the size of the system two part will be very expensive. I will probably start with two part and then switch over to my MTC ProCal reactor when the demand becomes too expensive for dosing.
Stocking Plans: I haven't gotten that far yet but it will be a mixed reef tank. My plan is to do something different from what I did on the last tank and thats take it really slow. While it will be tempting I will not add any of the more difficult sps until the tank reaches the 9-12 month mark from when it has completed cycling and I am able to show consistent and stable parameters for an extended period of time.

Im sure that some of the items listed above will change between now and the time I flip the power on for this system but we will have a lot of fun between now and then. This build will go slow but hopefully by late March we will have some water flowing in the tanks. I will post more information tomorrow about the flow diverters in my next post.

OP
OP
SPotter

SPotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Derkroon Flowwolf V2.0 Flow Diverter

So here is my first major purchase of the next build and this is what I will be using for my flow diverter on my closed loop systems and I am really excited to test this out as soon as I can. I will be using two of these with DC12000 pumps on each one.

Product link.....

http://www.derkroon.com/store/produc...flow-diverters

Video of it in action....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=OzernwEtQL8

The standard model comes with 3/4" fittings but I asked the owner if it would be possible to upgrade to 1" and that was not a problem. I would also like to say that customer service with Derkroon so far has been amazing. They are very responsive to emails and provide thorough responses to my inquiries.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SPotter

SPotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been busy with making some Black Friday purchases and had a nice surprise yesterday when my flow diverter and pumps arrived from Spain!!! :dance:

DC12000 pumps to run closed loops...I wasnt sure what to expect with these and I am really impressed with how they look. Wont know performance for a while but so far off to a good start.

Flowwolf Closedloop Diverter V2.0....again wasnt sure exactly what to exect from quality and weight. I had owned an OM4 before and remember how heavy they were. These are very light and the manufacturing quality is fantastic.

I will try to test one out soon with a bucket of water and more to come on the BF purchases as some of packages begin to arrive! It definitely feels good to be ordering equipment again and with a little luck the tank will be officially ordered this week.

ShippD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool looks like things are coming together slowly but surely which is owe so typical in this hobby.

OP
OP
SPotter

SPotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool looks like things are coming together slowly but surely which is owe so typical in this hobby.

Thanks Darren. Its going to be a little for the next few months. The new house wont be ready until late February so hopefully the tank will be delivered right after we close.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like an awesome build! Looking forward to it!

Bow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those pumps push some water. Not sure about longevity but when flow testing my sump the hose popped off and I washed the ceiling.

OP
OP
SPotter

SPotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those pumps push some water. Not sure about longevity but when flow testing my sump the hose popped off and I washed the ceiling.

Im debating whether or not to hard plumb or use flex hose and clamp the hoses to the barbs on the outlets. How did you hook yours up?

OP
OP
SPotter

SPotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is gonna be a crazy build. def following this thread. im from orangeburg, sc. hope you like it down here when you guys get to move in!
Thanks for joining in the madness! Also nice to meet some other reefers from SC....there doesnt seem to be too many in the Low Country area.

Go get me Steve. Good luck with the build, I will be following.

Hey Mike! How are things back home in NJ! How are those Goni's you got from me doing?

Bow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol mine wasn't really hooked up. Was just testing a 40 long sump build. Had a 5ish foot piece of flex, heated one end and shoved it on the fitting. Planning on finding a fitting that will fit a piece of soft flex and then switch to hard pipe.

OP
OP
SPotter

SPotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a sweet build!

There are a few of us in the low country. I am in the hilton head area...where are you?

Thanks! Im up in Mount Pleasant. You guys have any decent LFS down there? Aside from Petco, theres only lfs here and its ok at best IMO.

c_healy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really....I mostly deal with local reefers. There are some good lfs in Jacksonville. If you ever want to do some trading let me know. I go to charleston quite often.

OP
OP
SPotter

SPotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really....I mostly deal with local reefers. There are some good lfs in Jacksonville. If you ever want to do some trading let me know. I go to charleston quite often.

I will definitely take you up on the trading once my tank is up and running!

epleeds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Can't wait to see this one set up. Your builds on RC were sweet. Have u decided on glass or acrylic yet?

OP
OP
SPotter

SPotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rest of my black friday purchases arrived today and this will be it for purchases other than the tank for a while now. We got word from our builder that they are a little behind and we should expect to close in early March now. :headwally:

Anyway....let there be light.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back