OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the last hour I have been reading this thread from the beginning. I have read all the way up to 450 post. I keep asking my self the same question over each time when you talk about the salt you make "Why would you create your own salt mix if you haven't done a water change since 2004?" Better yet why hasn't anyone else asked this basic question page after page. Again you tank looks awesome but something's aren't adding up with the homemade salt mix and no water changes.

Very good question !
I love it when people start thinking.
Thanks!

Read this article than you will find out the reason for my search of a custom made salt.

jan 2014, article in Reef Hobbyist Magazine (californie) "A FLOURISHING DUTCH SYNTHETIC REEF"
http://www.reefhobbyistmagazine.com/magazine-tiled-q1-2014-41.html
Pagina 41 t/m 46

PDF file of the article in reef hobbyist magazine
http://reefhobbyistmagazine.com/magazines_files/7d3d5bcad324d3edc08e40738e663554-q12014-v3web.pdf

Today the custom salt is being used to mix new water to startup a new tank and also to replace water which occasionaly is being removed while syphoning the sump or any other reason. This can't be classified as structural WC, because it's about 20 liters per 2/3 months on a total volume of 1700 liters.

Last edited:
OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What an ABSOLUTELY OUTSTANDINGLY GORGEOUS Reeftank Glen. Do not know how I have missed it for this long, been pretty busy and the one problem with having such a monumental sized Forum as R2R here is that it lets some of these incredible threads slip by.

I will have to follow a few more of your guidelines to further my own success. Already for past 3+ years on current system doing only very minimal water changes. Yet still fine tuning my dosing, and have had a few mishaps from neglect while preoccupied with my Salmon Fishing.....

Cheers, Todd

Thanks Tods,

if you get the basic right, than you can think one step further and prevent problem before they occur.
By taking control you are also familiar with the dynamics of your tank. You can predict things and see trends in your tank/corals development.

Like with many other things (and methods) neglect is something you can't affort. A good systeem have failsafes build in, when you ignore them all it can work for a while, but sooner or later it will bite you.
I myself spend time on my other "wet hobbys" during the summer period, so i trust my failsafes to watch out for me.

Last edited:

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen another baby blue digi, very cool! They kinda get overlooked cause they grow so fast but they really do add a cool shape to a tank. Beautiful tank!

JennFried

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a stunning example of a healthy ecosystem! Following along this thread after spending an entire morning reading from the beginning... you have talent!

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic of the day
15712485709_e41e792f12_c.jpg

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a digi bottom center, I love that piece, such an amazing color to it.

Everything including the sand in that shot sorta has that same blue windex look as that monti. Seems like that baby blue monti it prolly lighter in color than it appears.

A name would help compare it with pictures of the coral in other tanks - or with acquisition! I wouldn't mind adding that if I knew the name!

Glenn?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back