JoeKooL KoolReef 210 remodeling into 428 display Custom DIY sump net BOOM!

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello my name is Joe aka joekool aka joekoolreefvid. This is my mixed reef tank mostly SPS lol. This tank has evolved over the 30 or so pages of this thread. Please read through and if you have any input or comments feel free to share them.

Looking back at the beginning of this thread I have made many changes and there is about to be a big one hehe. Hopefully this will be a great year for me and we will see the progression to the remodel to the larger 428 display tank with posts in the 730+ range.
Welcome to 2018

Happy reefing

Photos starting from back in 2013
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
My wife loves all this stuff. lol not really but maybe secretly she likes the corals and fish. I buy stuff for her and that works out pretty good for me. I get here to look at them and say she likes them than I buy. I'm a reef junkie and maybe she secretly loves it.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice!

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I'm trying. I took advantage of the sale posted on the forum from Your Reef. I bought $250 in frags and hope it all works out great. I have never ordered from them and hope they ship them well. I will follow up with photos of my shipment.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank stats from the other day
11-26-13
Ca 425 added 300ml to bring close to 440
Kh 12.5dhk
Mg 1395
Going to keep Ca down after this to say 430
Bring Mg to 1350
Bring KH dhk to 10.5
Give a couple off days and check levels again
Nitrite 0 nitrate 0 phosphate .02ppm

water changes 25gallon a week

Any suggestions always appreciated.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took advantage of the sale from Your Reef can't wait for it to come, but I have to :tongue:
Figured I would go with small frags to get variety and to try out some SPS. the tank has been running pretty stable and had gotten a lot better now that I'm doing 10% water changes each week.
Here is what I ordered.
Red Planet Acropora WYSIWYG c-sps-wysiwyg-rp-1 1 $38.50 $38.50
Blastomussa Merletti
- Polyp Count: 5 Polyps c-LPS-BM-1 1 $17.50 $17.50
Bali Green Slimer
- Frag Size: 1 Inch c-SPS-BGS-1 1 $6.25 $6.25
C-Quarium Unknown Acropora
- Frag Size: 1 Inch c-SPS-CQU-1 1 $8.75 $8.75
Tubs Blue Zoanthids
- Polyp Count: 3 Polyps c-TUBS-BZ-1 1 $9.00 $9.00
Eagle Eyes Zoanthids
- Polyp Count: 20 Polyps c-ZOAS-EE-1 1 $14.99 $14.99
Glimmer Pink Palys c-zoa-gpp-1 1 $12.50 $12.50
Red Montipora Capricornis c-SPS-MC115 2 $3.75 $7.50
YR Iron Man Unknown c-SPS-IM120 1 $18.75 $18.75
Purple Passion Favia
- Frag Size: 1 Inch c-LPS-PPF-1 1 $16.00 $16.00
Eye of Rah Zoanthids
- Polyp Count: 5 Polyps c-ZOAS-EOR-1 1 $20.00 $20.00
Paletta Baby Blue Stag c-sps-wysiwyg-bt-1 1 $21.00 $21.00
Grapes of Wrath Acropora WYSIWYG N6 c-WYS-N6 1 $31.50 $31.50
Acan Lordhowensis WYSIWYG C31 c-WYS-C31 1 $29.99 $29.99

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it to I have built a few. I have one for up to 90 gallons and it is a work horse. I love the big one but I think I'm going to upgrade it with a mag 950 with needle impeler for air instead of the air pump running it. Trying to go quite and not listen to the air pump. The skimmer does make some thick nasty like vegimite. It is 6" x 5' tall

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update getting new corals Tuesday that are listed above. Excited:bigsmile: will show all the pictures when I get them including the packaging.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured this should be on my tank page

Hello My name is Joseph, I have been reefing for a few years now. I have a 210 with a 90 sump est. 250 net water volume. Tank bottom is 4' high for stand up look in but need a ladder to do anything in the tank. 200+ lbs of rock in display. Corals consist of LPS, Zoa's, LT Anemone and green bubble tip, purple Mushrooms, Softies,\. Live stock sailfin tang, scopes tang, 4 clown fish captive bread, Dragonet, yellow and purple strip dottyback. Cleanup crew is pistol shrimp, 3 peppermint shrimp, 250 hermits, cerith snails, Halloween hermit, a few nasariuos snails. Sump includes 90 gallon tank 7'' 100 micron socks mag 12 and 18 mounted external from sump. Deep sand bed, 8 red mangroves, micro algae, lots of pods, heater 78 degrees. External mount BRS twin reactor fed from mag 12 with rowa-point of sale and lignite carbon. DIY 5' counter current skimmer powered by mag 12 and air from sl-65 luft pump. Lighting three HQI 150watt 14k MH with 4 96watt 50/50 420nm/450nm sunpaq bulbs. Lights on digital timers. Use coral pro salt, BRS calcium and alk and magnesium additives, Aqua vitro (Alpha, Fuel, and Balance) Food is new life spectrum, sea veggies red seaweed, Vitamin C added to pellets before feeding, some frozen food.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I had posted in the club zoa thread but thought I should add the info to my tank page.

I had an issue with a group of zoa's that were not opening up. I blew them off real good with one of my recirculating pumps. There was a bunch of sand in between them not sure if that was it but after that I moved them near another group that was doing well. They are coming back great. the following is pictures of what they looked like and what they look like today.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on my order of new corals

All I have to say is that YourReef is great. Let me tell you my story so far.
I saw the add for the Black Friday deal and said looks great. My wife and I browsed the site and fell in love with some of the corals. So taking advantage of the sale and spending just over $250 (refer to earlier post on this page with order) We are excited. Monday we had been contacted to setup a delivery day so that I would be available for delivery by 10:30 am They said also that the sale had been going so well that they were a little backed up and asked could we deliver later in the week if your available so we can get out some orders. I said sure because I had some time off. They gave me a free frag for my patience. That was cool. So now I get one extra plus I chose the 10 pack of zoa's for my free gift for the spending level I was at. So 11 free coral frags. oh ya. Well I got a call today from John he said that while my corals had been set aside that a acan came out and killed my blastomussa merletti that was a bumer. John said I'm going to hook you up with two more frags that cost much more than what I purchased to make up for it.

All I can say is these people rock. Can't wait to get my order. You gotta order from YourReef....Great customer service.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well 9am first set of Bulbs come on
image.jpg

Than at ten second set comes on.
Can't wait to get my LED lights so I can simulate sunrise and sunset and lunar phase.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I'm board. I'm waiting for my UPS delivery from YourReef.... I'm excited. Come on any time now..... Delivery by 10:30 am ....... looking out the windows.... I know kind of silly..... I will include all photos as I know how much everyone like a pic....

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back