Lasers 1000+ Inwall Starfire

Zachary.gingell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with nc2wa 2 weeks should be a bare minimum I have had Fish well namely my blue hippo but I quarantined him for 3 weeks and it wasn't enough I ended up with an outbreak had to pull all the fish out of my dt and took me almost 2 months dosing in a QT to finally get rid of it so I do a minimum of a month on all new Fish to the system just to be sure

made2rock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I see my signs of any problems I put a new fish straight into hypo for a month. Then I raise the salinity back to normal and give them another month. If the fish even looks cross eyed at a rock I put him into hypo. I had a powder blue tang that looked good on day 1 after a month in hypo and a couple of weeks getting the water back up he started to show signs of ich. I took a little over 3 mths to get him ready but he was good after that.

I have 80 watt UV on a 150 (4 times over kill). I thought I had it beat NOPE!!!!! ich proved to be better at the game so don't count on your UV to save you from ich.

Joe

NC2WA

Angelfish Whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any fish that is QT'd should be separated from the main tank a minimum of 6 wks. 2 of those six weeks should be in copper esp for tangs and clownfish since they are more proned to ich and other parasites. Trust me when I say it is very hard to get back control in a tank that size that has a parasite in it..as the only correct way of removing a parasite from a main tank is to remove ALL fish and go fallow for 8 wks minimum...the theory is: remove the host (that is fish) and the parasite dies...it is that simple..

prior to my QT days, I had 18 fish in a 375g tank, and lost 11 of them due to an large emperor angel that was NOT QT...little did I know it had flukes/worms and killed most of my angels I had in my tank...from that day forward lesson learned...I now QT (that is, copper AND prazipro) everything..

so as time consuming as it is, I would QT all fish for 6 wks and make sure there is no parasite to begin with...and since you are keeping tangs, would have a standby QT ready just in case something arises....I don't want happen to me happen to you with this potentially gorgeous tank.

OP
OP
Laser

Laser

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the suggestions on fish. I will implement!!!

A few updates since tank is now full and returns are running.
1- Light rack for 4-400W Metal Halides (20000K Radiums) - rack will pivot up to get out of way of tank if necessary.
2- Ozone Reactor hooked up and running (this made the water crystal clear in about 3 total hours)
3-Biopellet Reactor up and running - effluent eventually will be hooked up to skimmer. -- will stay off until then
4-Carbon Reactor up and running
5-Chiller electrical and plumbing now complete.. HVAC has to come back to work on control module that is not getting power for some reason
6-Update to new Neptune Fusion
7-Add new Apex module to control AI hydras

Attachments

• chillerfinal.jpg
    chillerfinal.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 1,346
  • halidemounts.jpg
    halidemounts.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 1,335
OP
OP
Laser

Laser

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:jaw:

Attachments

• reactors.jpg
    reactors.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 1,323
  • reactors2.jpg
    reactors2.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 1,356

NC2WA

Angelfish Whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
laser,

for the bio pellet reactor, what model are you using?

I have a reef octopus that stop working...Im looking at NextReef but don't know much about how good their quality is.

ws6kid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank looks amazing! Can't wait to see this thing stocked. Keep up the great work and of course the photos :)

OP
OP
Laser

Laser

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
laser,

for the bio pellet reactor, what model are you using?

I have a reef octopus that stop working...Im looking at NextReef but don't know much about how good their quality is.
MRS-1 XL.. Really nicely built thick acrylic. Works great.

Ligershark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
excellent stuff, i will be following along this build closely. that chiller is pretty gnarly looking and the tank itself looks exceptional.

OP
OP
Laser

Laser

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HVAC came back today and finished up everything. The chiller controller is now working and temp will be held from 76.5 to 77.5F. Finally up and running. He tested the unit when the water was 69F. The unit ran for 30 minutes and cooled the water to 65F. Wow is that a big difference than the old JBJ chiller on the 225. :wink:

NC2WA

Angelfish Whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
who makes the MRS-1 reactor?

I cant find it

thx

OP
OP
Laser

Laser

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many updates since I last visited.
HVAC work is complete. AC finally installed and chiller control working correctly. Room stays at 72 and tank at 77F.

Attachments

• ACcomplete.jpg
    ACcomplete.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 1,143
  • chillercontrol.jpg
    chillercontrol.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 1,143
OP
OP
Laser

Laser

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is shot of tank from front and from back. Still waiting:squigglemouth: for wood trim work to be started on inside wall.

Attachments

• fulltank.jpg
    fulltank.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,174
  • fulltankback.jpg
    fulltankback.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 1,166
OP
OP
Laser

Laser

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a few shots of the 3 control walls. Apex equipment drives all but the chiller!

Attachments

• controlleft.jpg
    controlleft.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,158
  • controlmain.jpg
    controlmain.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 1,173
  • controlright.jpg
    controlright.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 1,182
OP
OP
Laser

Laser

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One camera has been installed for viewing while out of town. One more to install for main display.
Amazing that with all this plumbing only have 1 small drip out of small valve that can easily be fixed! :cheer2:

Attachments

• only1leak.jpg
    only1leak.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 1,162
  • camera.jpg
    camera.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 1,187
Back