Lasers 1000+ Inwall Starfire

Laser

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here we go! Just moved and have finally been able to clear all the equipment and corals from the old house. I have moved them into a temporary setup consisting of a frag tank and a 100 gallon rubbermaid horse trough. The frag tank is completely packed and the 100 gallon is packed with colonies. I have now setup the 225 and have all liverock and refugium plants running. I have added new sand to the display and will wait a few weeks for the tank to go through mini cycle before transferrring livestock back into the 225.
On to the new build.
I have ordered a 1000 gallon Starfire front dimensions 11 foot long x 4 foot wide x 36" tall. The tank will be built locally by AGE complete with metal stand and 350 gallon sump. The tank will be delivered within 3 weeks. Skimming will be provided by a Bubble King 4000 int. I will run bioballs and carbon through seperate reactors and dose with prodibio supplements.
Flow will be provided by a vortec 60 on each end as well as some sort of high powered Tunze for the back wall of tank. Most likely 2 or 3. Lighting will be 4 400 Watt Metal Halides running 20K bulbs on the back half and 4 AI 56's on the front for supplement.
Exhaust fans will be installed prior to tank arriving as well as plumbing for drain.
I will aquascape with half liverock and half fake rock. Aquascape will be 3 seperate island reefs to provide plenty of open swimming room for fish.
All corals have been put into temp setups until the old 225 can be moved for temp setup.
What is a new post without pics....Here you go.
frags.jpg
tempsetup.jpg

OP
OP
Laser

Laser

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Early build pics of garage wall prep

Attachments

• lumber.jpg
    lumber.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 4,536
  • waterstation.jpg
    waterstation.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 4,545
OP
OP
Laser

Laser

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
225 has been moved into garage to allow for temporary storage of corals and fish

Attachments

• QT full shot.jpg
    QT full shot.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 4,461
  • QT jan26.jpg
    QT jan26.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 4,506
OP
OP
Laser

Laser

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sealer paint has been added to the completed framing

Attachments

• sealerpaint.jpg
    sealerpaint.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 4,419
  • sealerpaint2.jpg
    sealerpaint2.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 4,443
OP
OP
Laser

Laser

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
225 QT has been setup to house all the corals and fish...Water station made for the QT as well..

Attachments

• Temporary top off and skim overflow.jpg
    Temporary top off and skim overflow.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 4,472
  • apex station.jpg
    apex station.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 4,499
  • QT full shot.jpg
    QT full shot.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 4,449
OP
OP
Laser

Laser

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Floor has been epoxied in preparation for the spill that will be coming at some point.

Attachments

• epoxyfloor.jpg
    epoxyfloor.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 4,406
OP
OP
Laser

Laser

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
build on the wall is nearing completion. This weekend I was able to install 2 exhaust fans over the 1000, install 1/2" pine on ceiling covering the tank area 11' x 4'. This will allow me to have a easy way to hang the lights when the tank arrives. I still need to caulk around edges and seal paint the wood and then the area will be complete. I was also able to finish off the walls next to where the tank will be with FRP board. This was put up after the entire area was seal painted and caulked. I believe I have as waterproof construction as I can get. FRP board was also installed on the 14" beam supporting the structure at the top of the tank area. This made the 2 side walls next the tank tie in and make the wall complete looking. Cant wait to get it seal painted and then caulked.
Next project will be to install the drain from garage, shower liner under stand, and then prepare the rest of the garage walls with sealer paint tinted to match original color which was a tan color.
Then the countdown should be on for the tank arrival.

Attachments

• frp left.jpg
    frp left.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 4,397
  • exhaust fans frp board.jpg
    exhaust fans frp board.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 4,440
  • frp right.jpg
    frp right.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 4,474
OP
OP
Laser

Laser

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shot from outside garage

Attachments

• garage shot outside.jpg
    garage shot outside.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 4,447

D_Reep1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome! first of many subscribers! did you get your idea from the Dallas aquarium where they have their 1000+gal tanks for each area of the world? cant wait for the progression!

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW! This is going to be an awesome build thread I can tell already, great dimensions for a large Reeftank. Thanks for sharing and looking forward to your journey here.

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
Laser

Laser

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next up was getting the water out of garage for water changes. I have a septic system with aerobic so did not want salt going into main system and watering yard. I installed a third septic tank where salt water is treated and then passed to main systems.
This will allow me to tie the drain into main return pump to allow for easy water changes in the future.:israel:

Attachments

• drain 1.JPG
    drain 1.JPG
    12.9 KB · Views: 4,379
  • drain 2.JPG
    drain 2.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 4,346
  • drain 3.JPG
    drain 3.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 4,344
OP
OP
Laser

Laser

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump design has been submitted to AGE. Here is a sketch

Attachments

• sumpdesign.jpg
    sumpdesign.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 4,380
OP
OP
Laser

Laser

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Electrician will be here this week to move the new 30A circuits up from 12"to 24" from floor. Sump will be 18" tall and that will allow me to access the plugs where they are not behind the sump that is 40" wide.
emoticon-0105-wink.gif
He will also install one more 30A dedicated circuit with conduit run for lighting.
The 2.5HHP Aqualogic chiller is set to exit the manufacturer in California on Feb. 26th so timing for new tank install and plumbing will be perfect. Electrician will come back and install 220 and hook all up for me when it arrives.
When sump and stand arrive I will be able to mount all the apex EB's and modules and get it all ready for the tank.
In the meantime I have made 300 gallons of RODI ready for the sump arrival. I will be obtaining one more 200 gallon storage vessel at least in the new future after tank is in and settled.

OP
OP
Laser

Laser

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aqualogic 2HHP chiller arrived!! This heat pump unit has a condensor just like a home ac that is housed outside. I will control my heat and cooling with this unit. This is one of the few items that the APEX will not control as it pulls 70A!!:tongue:
heatpump.jpg
heatpumpcompressor.jpg
heatpumpmount.jpg
heatpumpmounted2.jpg

OP
OP
Laser

Laser

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic of sump that will be delivered

Attachments

• sump.jpg
    sump.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 4,319

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 75 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 74 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.2%
Back