Jackie and Glenns 180g Reef Build

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

Just got a steal deal on a used 180g glass tank and will be slowly building to replace the 125g mixed reef. The 125g tank will become the new under tank sump divided up into ato, intake with skimmer, huge fuge and return/reactors section. We will be building a new stand and canopy peninsula style and would love everyone's input and plans if you have or know of any. The canopy will house AI LEDs and T5s and be accessible from both sides. The stand will have to have lots of access room due to such a large sump and it will have to be able to have the 125g slid into it after it's built (I am guessing from either end). I'm not looking for elaborate things such as granite tops etc as I simply don't have that kind of money lol. I have also posted in the DIY forum about this tanks needs as it also has some issues to be addressed for anyone who is interested :hail:

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the tank
uploadfromtaptalk1395681607688.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1395681607688.jpg

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you can see, the top braces look a little warped (this was due to the previous owners use of MH lights. They are not cracked or weakend. No dry rot. And it is also drilled, not where I want it to be :( and these holes will be capped. The question is what to do? I need returns and drains on one end only. I am also concerned about adding new holes and weakening the glass bottom. Any thoughts?

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's going to be a great build keep them pics coming.

alan.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
before you redrill new holes at bottom, make 100% sure is not tempered. existing hole could drilled before tempered.
clean existing hole, throughly before silicone. or use bulkhead with pvc plug.
excited to see new big tank built.

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
before you redrill new holes at bottom, make 100% sure is not tempered. existing hole could drilled before tempered.
clean existing hole, throughly before silicone. or use bulkhead with pvc plug.
excited to see new big tank built.

Is there any way to tell? I have been searching for an answer to this because the tank is All-Glass brand and I know they do it. There are no stamps or anything to clue me in other than the brand name. The holes themselves look kind of frosty as opposed to glossy in the cut. But there is tape on oall the holes and it looks like the tape has been there a long time. I'll see if I can get a clear pic and post it. Thanks :)

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another I dea would be to cap all bottom holes, place a 5" X 24" overflow box on the end glass wall and drill that wall and have the plumbing come from the back glass pane rather than cutting into the bottom again. Something like the next pic....

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm kind of liking the last idea... I feel it might be a safer way to do it. But, I'm not so sure how well the drains will work coming from the side like this. Has anyone done this before and how well did it work?

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG! I had a brainstorm! I think I know of a way to use the existing holes effectively without taking up the view! And every time I looked into my 125g it was staring me right in the face lol. Atlantis in ruin! Hahaha!!! Now to get someone to build me some towering square or round overflows. They just have to total 24" of inlet flow area. :rofl:

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking about the overflow boxes while I wait for the bulkheads to get here. I am going to buy some 4" drain pipe PVC and make Colosseum columns of them on the outside by making my own agrocrete stone coating and dressing them up (after curing and set up) with live corals. Monticaps on the not so bright sides and acros mid to high sides and palys and zoas near the bottoms Of course. While I'm at it I'll be making bridges, caves and shelves to add to the existing live rock from the 125g. While all of this is curing for the next month and a half I will be consumed with my daughters HS graduation and building the stand and canopy.

Anyone know how to cut the intake groves for overflows?

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well ignore all the above problems with the tank!

Turns out that is normal says Aqeon and the glass is not tempered :D so now im back to plan A. Plugging all the holes and drilling at the end. YAY!

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UGH!!!!!!!! Well there is NO ONE in my area that will drill my tank :( And I simply don't want to take the chance doing it myself. So this is what my plan is now (and I'm sticking to it)

I plan to cap 2 holes on one end where the overflow will be. This reminds me, I need to have someone (maybe I'll contact Mel) make me an overflow box that is 24" wide with the attachment holes to match up to my eshopps overflow. I have the second biggest one. Then then other 2 holes on the far end will be used as returns desguised as columns. Making the columns myself with DIY rock and pipe. Since there will be 8" remaining between the columns I will have a connecting shelf there for a frag/bridge. I will also be reusing the SB spraybar from the 125g for a total of 2" (1800GPH counting head out) return and all around return flow into the tank. The wp40 go under the overflow box and a wp 60 on the far end on different settings. I think this should more than enough flow and irregular currents.

I will also be making some DIY LR caves and bridges to add to existing. So with cure time for the columns and rock it will be about 2 months before I can start building up this tank for use. While the rock and columns are curing the stand and canopy will begin the building process the 1st of june.

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I changed my mind about using the 125g for a sump :( It would've been nice but would leave the stand with little to no room for anything else.

Petco has ther $1 per gallon sale on so I ran out and got a 55g for the new sump. I think I would've preferred a 60g breeder but it'll due.

All the bulkheads are here, got the white portland cement yesterday and plumbing pipe except for the 6" for making column molds. I'll be getting that tomorrow.

Have had a terrible absessed tooth the past few days and on meds. Been feeling like crap or I would be making the rock and columns by now. I have 7 weeks to have the house ready for my daughter Rachels HS graduation party so this stuff will be talking a back seat for a bit after the columns and rock go in water for soaking. I have deep cleaning, lots of house painting and have to finish the formal table benches for a table I built. All the while doing regular tank, yard and house work too. I get little help around here!

That's my update for today, night all!

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
180g is moved from the garage to the back patio! It is now time to leak test this tank. I've added the bulkheads that are going to be capped and put some stand pipes on them. I did this because I'm still not positive I'm on a cap all 4 of them. But I want to test for leakage first.
uploadfromtaptalk1398785870071.jpg

I still haven't found anybody in my area willing to drill two extra holes for me. If you know anyone in Citrus County Florida please let me know!

Jackie
125g mixed reef peninsula

uploadfromtaptalk1398785870071.jpg

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back