"The Rustic Reef" 250G Build

n8zirkle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. This is my first forum post and i thought it would be a nice way to document my tank build and evolution. So lets get on with the build.

I started renovation on an old farm house, built in the late 1800's, back in July of 2013. From the beginning i thought it would be the perfect time to build my dream tank. With no hesitation from my future wife, i began to plan for the tank and room for the equipment. In October i placed the order for my tank. I ordered from Pimped Out Aquariums in Baltimore MD. The tank is 66x30x30 with an external overflow, and drilled for supply lines for a closed loop system.

AXON.jpg

(ignore the incorrect height dimension)

In February after giving thought to building my own sump system, i also added a sump and refugium to the order. I didn't want to take a chance on something this large failing due to my own fault, so i left it to the professionals.
Sumps.jpg

I wanted a sump made for the large skimmer i was planning and possibly to hold a few reactors,, heaters, probes. etc. , but i didn't want to include the refugium in the sump itself, so i had a separate tank made to be used as a refugium or even as another tank for holding fish or corals. I thought this lent it to more flexibility down the road as the tank matures and it's needs change. Here are the tanks completed
IMG_2013.jpg

These are acrylic and the main display is glass. I should have the tanks on hand by the end of the month.

While waiting on the tank I've been getting other things ready for the tank, along with the whole house. I built a steal frame for the tank and had it powder coated.
IMG_1879.jpg

Here it is in place and a mess.
IMG_1988.jpg

I made the top and bottom out of 3/4" plywood, and also put a 2" lip around the bottom to create a pan to hold some water if something drips. I painted the with epoxy paint first and then covered them with epoxy shield to make them last as long as possible.

Over the course of time I've been acquiring some gear also so i'll give you a run down of what I've got going on so far.
  • I had one radion G2 already so i ordered two more to give me a total of 3 radion G2's, but on monday i ordered the puck upgrades to the regular G3's and i plan on using the G2 pucks for a DIY led fixture for added punch. My goal is 5 total radions on the main tank and one for the refugium tank.
  • Skimmer - I went with a ReefDynamics INS300 skimmer. After watching some youtube vidoes with Jeff Macare i felt it was a good product i wanted to give a try on my reef and ordered one. I had it in about 2.5 weeks and it looks like a great product, well built, and can't wait to actually turn it on.
  • Circulation pump - snapper dart will be used on the closed loop run through two sea swirls
  • I have one BRS media reactor from a previous tank.
  • 100lbs of Aquamax dry reef rock that i got for a great deal from Marien Depot back in december i believe right around $1.00 per lb.
  • I currently have a DA Reefkeeper but i'm thinking about switching to an Apex.
I'm sure i'm forgetting some stuff but this is a good start. Can't wait to start getting stuff hooked up and running.

OP
OP
N

n8zirkle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1989.jpg

The new skimmer next to my old Coralife 65 Super skimmer for size comparison. The Reef Dynamics has a 12" diam. body.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool! Looking forward to this and welcome to R2R!

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build! I included the refugium in the sump on my new build but I wish I would have done it like yours. I also went with Reef Dynamics on my 300 gallon build, INS350E. I'm doing the plumbing this weekend and hope to have the skimmer up and running soon. I have the INS135E on my frag tank and love it.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A BIG WELCOME to R2R, and what a great way to start off with a new 250g Build thread.

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
N

n8zirkle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK after a very long wait period, I've finally got the tank. I went yesterday and picked them up had to drive 4.5 hrs (one way) to get them but i did save money by not shipping them. There were some design changes made to the tank and it now has dual internal overflows. It's constructed from 3/4" glass, and weighs close to 600 lbs. Here's a quick photo to hold you guys over until i can go into more depth about the setup.
IMG_2102.jpg

I need to black out the back glass and, I'm still trying to get my house together (getting married in one month), so the build is gonna be going slow. But keep checking in and i hope i get good feedback and advice to help with the build.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
following! Can't wait to see this thing get wet!

OP
OP
N

n8zirkle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a little time last night to tinker with some light stuff for the tank. I'm going to be using all LEDs. I had one Radion G2 already on my current tank, and i had ordered 2 more earlier in the year (G2 also) When i decided to add a 4th light, it was to late to to get another G2 because of the new release of the G3s. So i had to make a decision to sell my G2's and get all new G3s, change lights, or something else because i didn't want 3 G2's and an odd ball G3. Then I remembered i could just upgrade the pucks to G3's. Then i would have the G3 LEDs but also have 6 usable pucks to create extra DIY LED fixtures. After searching the forums i found one that showed how to create a DIY light with the left over radion pucks.

IMG_0052.jpg
IMG_0053.jpg

Right now i'm just going with the three actual radion fixtures as my main lighting system. I have began working on wiring up the spare pucks to add later as additional/supplemental lighting. I've got a reef keeper now but i have been tossing around the idea of switching to an apex and getting a break out box that would allow me to control these lights independently. I will be adding two (4 pucks) to the main display, and 1 (2 pucks) will be used on my refugium tank below the main.

IMG_2024.jpg

Still trying to find some cheap heat sinks to mount the pucks too. Anyone have a good source? More to come once I get them suspended.

OP
OP
N

n8zirkle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the lights hung last night. it's good to see the tank with lights on it now. Going to place a good order this week to get some plumbing items and get this build really rolling.
IMG_0061.jpg

SPotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good but why the change to internal overlfows especially with the one on the right? that will be next to impossible to access from the top if the need should come up. How is the area behind your tank ventilated? You will have some potential heat/humidity issues during the summer months if thats not ventilated.

OP
OP
N

n8zirkle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, i guess you would say i settled for what i got. Had a rough time with the builder, delay after delay, but i don't want to get into that. I thought/suggested that a center overflow would be the best case for me after changing from the external overflow. I'm kinda glad i did change that because who knows where it would have ended up on the tank. But needless to say that when i showed up to pick up my tank, it was dual corners. I'm thinking about removing the wood frame above the tank and having the cabinet guy create the top section to lift up in one big piece like a hood to allow more access and then add a brace on the back wall to be able to stretch a board across to make access a little easier. I'll work it out some how someway.

As for heat and humidity i'm going to install a vent in the wall directly to the outside that will be heat and humidity controlled. I painted the walls in that room with an epoxy paint made for commercial kitchens so it would be somewhat moisture resistant.

Big seasoned learned in the custom tank process, don't settle and spend the extra $ and get what you want. Trust reviews.

SPotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow...so you had no idea that Jeff built it with dual overflows???? I am so sorry to hear about your troubles with the builder. I was very close to pulling the trigger and letting him build my new tank but after reaching out to a few guys in the Va area that have tanks done by him, I decided not. I think your idea of removing the wood from the top is a good one and will give you more room to work.

Im looking forward to seeing this progress further!

OP
OP
N

n8zirkle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for another update. Now with my wedding out of the way and moved into the house, I've had a little bit more time, not much, to work on the tank. Started laying out the aquascape with the rock i had ordered last fall when it was on sell from Marine Depot. I had got 100 lbs from them and had about 30 or so from my old tank to use. Got a good base going but wasn't enough.
IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

So i got another 50lbs of rock from BRS and a few pieces from a LFS and added some more rock to the scape
IMG_0106.jpg

I've got a few more pieces to add to break up the straightness across the top and finish off the scape. Along with this I've got the plumbing 95% complete, enough so to get water into the tank. Just need return line ends, and one small length of pipe to finish plumbing the return pump to the refugium tank.
IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

More updates on the way.

Global

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome looking setup n8, will be following the progress as you go.

Just a quick question, what program did you use to do the sump and tank drawings in your first post?
Cheers

Attachments

• 147359d1399566250-rustic-reef-250g-build-sumps.jpg
    147359d1399566250-rustic-reef-250g-build-sumps.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 575

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back