Zibba's Reefs

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tank this size was a pipe-dream, we never truly thought it would become a reality and certainly didn’t expect it to happen so soon. But two weeks ago, Elliott (sn: same) sent me an email with a description of a tank that sounded too good to be true: A.G.E. Starphire Glass/PVC bottom, peninsula overflow setup, with black silicone that measures 84”(long) x 42”(wide) x 30”(high).

Chris (sn: Siasl) had planned a beautiful system with precision but was forced to move for work and he cut us a deal that we couldn’t refuse. It’s in like-new condition and we’re hoping we can carry out a build that will match his professionalism.

About 1.5 years ago we began setting up a 100g and 50g connected system – you can see that build here. We've had relatively good success with that system and are hoping for the same moving forward.

The 100g Envision aquarium is going to be replaced with the new A.G.E. aquarium and we’re going to reconnect the smaller ADA, which will remain in its current location. This is all happening very fast but I will try to document things as best I can during the chaos.

I don’t have any good pictures of the aquarium yet, but I put together a quick sketch so you can see the dimensions:

14671813285_ba47fee471_b.jpg

14485158299_3732b1070c_b.jpg

14485141180_893be5655e_b.jpg

We’d love for you to follow along on this adventure and give us your comments and feedback.

Last edited:

clownfitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Congratulations on getting the tank you thought you may never. Best of luck with this venture and definitely following along!

gettaReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SuuuuuuuWEEEET!!!! Can't wait to follow your progress. How many gallons is this badboy?! (sorry I'm being lazy)

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Congratulations on getting the tank you thought you may never. Best of luck with this venture and definitely following along!

Holy wow! This is going to be swweeettt!

SuuuuuuuWEEEET!!!! Can't wait to follow your progress. How many gallons is this badboy?! (sorry I'm being lazy)

Hey thanks for jumping into this one!

The display is about 450-gallons. The sump is 56x34x24 but I'll be running it relatively shallow so another 80g or so there. Add in the ADA and we're at 580-gallons or so -- that doesn't account for displacement from sand/rock.

From 150g to 580g -- going to be a big water change come moving day! :)

clownfitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man for a set up that size how many gallons a day do you think will have to go just to top off?

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:help: I am having a case of tank envy

Thanks!! I feel very fortunate, that's for sure! :)

Man for a set up that size how many gallons a day do you think will have to go just to top off?

It will probably vary but I go through a gallon or two per day with my current system, which I estimate to be 140g running volume. Assuming a similar trend and a 450-g total working volume after all the rock and sand is added, I'll probably go through 3-6 gallons per day.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seriously have thought about what I would do next if my wife ever allowed me to upgrade again (yeah right) and that is almost exactly it. Such an awesome tank man, I wish you the best with everything. This things gonna be awesome!!! You know how many wrasses I could put in that thing?

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations on the tank. Your previous tanks were spectacular. Can't wait to see what you do with this monster.

Thank you and thanks for the compliment on the other tanks. I'm going to try and get in one more FTS of the Envision before tear down on Saturday.

I seriously have thought about what I would do next if my wife ever allowed me to upgrade again (yeah right) and that is almost exactly it. Such an awesome tank man, I wish you the best with everything. This things gonna be awesome!!! You know how many wrasses I could put in that thing?

Thanks. The dimensions close off a weird space in our living room that has been awkward since the day we set up the 36x30 cube-ish tank. We had been close to pulling the trigger on upgrading the smaller tank in the bedroom, then this came along! It fills the entire wall and leaves us enough space to view the tank down the long end of the peninsula.

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, here's the simplified protocol (thanks, Elliott!) for the big move:

Before and during move:
1. Make up enough new seawater needed to make up the difference between old and new tank volumes and either aerate or agitate with a pump for 24 hrs

The day before the move:

1. Set up kiddie pool, transfer all fish and corals (along with rock that they're attached to) into pool with existing water and add additional water to fill to appropriate height;
2. Put sand in 5-gallon buckets (use to seed new sand after move); and
3. Move existing tank out of the way

Day of move:
1. Set new tank in place;
2. Begin filling tank with water;
3. Plumb tank to sump and ADA while filling;
4. add livestock/rock from kiddie pool (along with water from the same)

I have been making water in spare aquariums and borrowed containers for the past few days and will continue to do so throughout the move so I have enough water on-hand. Right now, I have about 200-gallons plus whatever I can pull from the display -- maybe another 60-gallons.

I'm going to buy two kiddie pools tonight and double them up to reduce the risk of leaks in my living room. The kiddie pool holds over 250g and it will basically be a big water change on Saturday followed by a big water change on Sunday. Hoping for very little loss this way.

Last edited:
OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an older house with narrow doorways and old windows. We plan to upgrade all of the windows in the house over time, but this tank move sort of forced our hand with this particular window (the biggest in our house). Unfortunately, I wasn't home to see the entire glass pane broken but K (my gf) took a picture once it was removed and then boarded up. They're coming to replace the window with a low-e one after the tank is inside. If we ever need to get the tank out again, we can have a glazier come out and remove just a single panel (relatively cheap, actually) and take it through a 48"x50" opening -- so at least we aren't completely stuck once it's inside.

Not to interesting but here's the damage:
IMG_20140717_095530_zpsb26b2eda.jpg

Old window frame:
2014071695141647_zpsc9131748.jpg

Boarded and ready for a quick removal come Sunday.
IMG_20140717_095612_zpsf525b88e.jpg

You'd think that the room/house would get hot here in the desert with just the plywood up, but it actually provides better insulation compared to the shoddy window it replaced.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Woo hoo excited about this one!

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know how many wrasses I could put in that thing?
I'll work on that; one thing at a time though. :tongue:

According to Hunter's tank, the "gold standard" of wrasse keeping, it's 1 male flasher or fairy wrasse per 2 gallons. Lol, jk...kinda. :tongue:

Great sounding project! Following. :becky:

It's a little daunting but I'm feeling better about it as things tank form. There's a ton of work to do after the tank is set up -- including restarting all of the rock and sand that was in the tank for a short period of time while Siasl had it running.

Happy to have you on board.

Woo hoo excited about this one!

Thanks Rev!! :)

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been told by my wife that all that stuff is not allowed on the dining room table and that PVC glue is stinky and not allowed in the house :tongue:

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditch that purple primer, they make it in clear and looks so much cleaner when your done.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back