Smaller place, bigger tank...my 200DD build

EricB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started this hobby about 7 years ago with a 55 gallon FO with a SeaClone protein skimmer. It didn’t take long for me to loathe the dimensions of standard 55 gallon tanks. I soon upgraded to an undrilled 125 that went through it’s own progression of lights, powerheads, and various overflows (from two 700gph Gl*******s kits to a C2C w/ external BeanAnimal). A few years ago I had a tank crash and shortly after setting it up again I began to get annoyed with the 18†width of the tank…just not enough width for the length.

We recently decided to downsize from a 2 bedroom house to a smaller apartment. It’s just my girlfriend and me, and there was so much dead space in the house that just got filled up with stuff we never used. To make the move easier, we tossed out most of our furniture and bought new stuff. The apartment is on one of the cities most desirable streets, is constructed with poured concrete, and all utilities are included in the rent…oh yessss!

It’s not without its downsides, though. There is a perfect space for a Marineland 200 Deep Dimension, however the tank will be in the living area so it has to be as quiet as possible. Also, since I can’t have a remote equipment room and the apartment is small, everything has to fit under the stand (except CO2 bottle) since it won’t take much to make the living space look cluttered. I will be moving in two days.

Equipment List… a lot of this stuff was lightly used on my 125
-Marineland 200 Deep Dimension (L overflow will be full siphon and open channel, R overflow will be emergency drain and return)
-Marineland Monterey Stand
-40B Sump/fuge
-20L Reservoir tank
-Two Reefbreeder Photon 32 LED fixtures
-Skimz Oval SV-203 skimmer
-Eheim Compact+5000 return pump (660-1320gph)
-Two 250w Jager heaters
-Two VorTech MP40w ES with battery backup
-PhosBan 550 GFO reactor
-Geo 618 Calcium reactor w/ Milwaukee pH controller
-Two MJ 1200 feed pumps for reactors, hoping to only need one
-Three American DJ power strips
-Kati/Ani 2
-200 lbs LR including 40lbs Marco Rock Prime Cuts
-160 lbs Carribsea Seaflor Special Grade Aragonite

QT tank:
-30B
-Red Sea Prism Pro Skimmer
-VorTech MP10w ES
-Two heaters

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love the DD tanks! Sounds like it's going to be a great setup! Keep us posted!

OP
OP
EricB

EricB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the DD tanks! Sounds like it's going to be a great setup! Keep us posted!

Thanks man, I'm really excited about it. I will be posting pictures some time this weekend, once I get stuff moved. It will be another two weeks until this build really kicks-off...with the move, new semester of school, and a new job coming up I have a lot on my plate.

OP
OP
EricB

EricB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank will be going b/w the door to the hallway and the built in bookshelf. The wall is 54". Obviously we are not unpacked yet...
securedownload-2.jpg

The hallway closet (shared wall with aquarium) will be used for SW mixing and equipment storage.
securedownload.jpg

securedownload-1.jpg

OP
OP
EricB

EricB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some of my equipment moved and unpacked today. The build will be jumping off in two weeks. With the move, starting a new job, and class starting on Monday, I have my hands pretty full. I'm considering the pros and cons of creating a manifold on my return line for the phosban and calcium reactor. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. The only problem I'm thinking of is air getting into the reactors in the event of a power failure, or during power-down for maintenance.

securedownload.jpg

OP
OP
EricB

EricB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I'm thinking of building a shelf above the mixing bucket for a few 10g's. I would use them for QT using the tank transfer method, rather than having the current 30B QT taking up space in the apt.

OP
OP
EricB

EricB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the temporary 30B set up. I just threw it together after moving it and don't plan on setting it up any differently since it's going to be taken down in two weeks. It's got a Red Sea Prism Pro skimmer, a few heaters, a MP10wES and a Reef Breeders Photon 32

securedownload-1.jpg

OP
OP
EricB

EricB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some quotes and all are a few hundred lower than a few months ago when I started considering this build. The places I went to all had DD tanks in stock, but not 200's. I love the depth of these things. I found a really great deal on a 150DD but the stand won't allow me to fit all of my equipment in it. Should be here by next week. Now it's time to order the skimmer, return pump, and get glass cut for baffles.

OP
OP
EricB

EricB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got around to unloading the 40B sump tank from the back of my car

securedownload-2.jpg

I'll be ordering the glass for the baffles on Friday, my next day off.

OP
OP
EricB

EricB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank will be delivered this Thursday. Smoked glass for baffles will be ready on Wednesday. Looking forward to a weekend of plumbing!

OP
OP
EricB

EricB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baffles have arrived. Will start siliconing them in tomorrow. There is a little more room b/w them and the side of the sump than I would like, but I'm sure with a careful siliconing job they'll be fine.

glass.jpg

OP
OP
EricB

EricB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little set back...tank couldn't be delivered yesterday b/c I was called in to work. Also, none of my LFS's had tubes of black silicone so I just ordered it from BRS today. Also got the return pump, some spears gate valves for the overflow and manifold, and a new CO2 bottle...the one I had was getting a rusty patina that made me a bit nervous.

OP
OP
EricB

EricB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the build can begin now! I got a little order from BRS yesterday so I can start building the sump today. Tomorrow I'm going to swing by the LFS where I ordered my tank to see if I can schedule delivery for Monday. Next week is fixin to have a pretty relaxed schedule so I'm hoping to have it ready for water by the weekend.

photo-1.jpg

Back