Trex's new 210

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since my first shipment is suppose to come tomorrow, figure it is time to start a build thread.

A little background about me and my tanks...

Started my first saltwater tank back around 1991 or 92, back in college. It was a 55, which I had for about 5 years or so. The center brace cracked and I upgraded to a 75. Have always had a tank running since then, even when it was just a 10 gallon.

About 5-7 years ago my tanks were at their peak...

58 gallon,

FTS19_24_8.jpg

75 gallon,

FTS6_30_10part2.jpg

Six back surgeries over 2.5 years really took its toll on the tanks, and they became more easy coral tanks.
As the 3 stand as of the most recent pictures (( which aren't all that recent )),

40 breeder, (( doesn't look nearly as good currently )),

FTS4_20_12.jpg

057_zps7f43fe76.jpg

75 (( maybe a 2 year old picture ))

basementdone3.jpg

Con't --- current day.

OP
OP
Trex

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, the girlfriend and I have been wanting to redo the "basement" -- where the 75 is currently. The space was feeling a bit cramped. Took down the CD racks (( was some on the other side of the window, not pictured )), and decided that taking the 75 out of that room was the best choice. We were helped with that choice when I had a friend from college (( who is a designer )) stopped by to give some ideas.

The main floor (( 3 story townhouse )) has a living/dinning room which had the 40 breeder; it was sort of used to divide the 2 rooms (( against the wall, however )),

001-1.jpg

The designer asked why the smallest tank was in the biggest room. Basically said that if we are going to have a tank, to have a tank. So the decision was made to take down the 75 and the 40, and place a "large" tank in the dinning room. Wanted a 6 foot tank, but wasn't sure if a 180/210 would fit or not, so I decided to make a quick 2*3 stand and place some Home Depot boxes on it ---- that showed that a 210 would actually work...

DSC_0020_zps397c20b7.jpg

Of course the stuff on the walls will come down, and it may shift to the left, but that is the basic placement.

Not sure yet when the tank/stand/canopy will be delivered (( there was a flaw in the canopy at the LFS, so a new one is being made )), might stop there tomorrow and see what the status is currently. Have to go there anyways, want to return a 40 breeder I was going to use as a sump. Decided to have one made --- which is suppose to be here Wednesday, here is a picture of it;

20140812_181113_resized_zps84ac02ae.jpg

OP
OP
Trex

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha. Yeah, that stuff will not be going near this tank.

Thinking of doing SPS again, should be a bit easier since I plan on getting a doser, as opposed to me doing it manually.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking forward to seeing this develop! Btw, I love that blue carpet!

OP
OP
Trex

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to seeing this develop! Btw, I love that blue carpet!

Thanks, but lost that one a couple of years ago --- had to have emergency back surgery (( literally had cerebrospinal fluid dripping out of me )), and while in the hospital the sump ran dry -- didn't fully explain to my folks that water evaporates from the sump, not the tank.

However, I did find a new one a couple of months ago that is settling in nicely that will make the move to the new tank.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome man! Following!

OP
OP
Trex

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 shipments came today, one from Premium and the other from BRS (( feel like spreading my money around, ha )). And I picked up the overflow kits for the tank from the LFS that I am getting the tank from (( had to return a 40 breeder that I had thought about using as a sump )).

2 MP40s (( currently have 6 MP10s, all over 3 years old, 4 that are about 5 years old, never had an issue. Just vinegar them once in a while )).
An ATO, "Smart ATO", will be my first ATO, had always used a 5 gallon Kalk dripper as one.
2 150 watt Eheim Jager heaters. Will see if come winter if they will be enough. Should be easy enough to switch one out for a 250 watt.

Now have a couple things on the Excel spreadsheet that I can cross off.

A picture of the goodies,

shipment1_zpsa68369d6.jpg

For this tank, I want to keep things as neat as possible --- case in point, a couple of pictures of my work space in the garage, have tweaked it about 20 times. :)

DSC_0031_zps03aa719a.jpg

DSC_0032_zps113da60d.jpg

OP
OP
Trex

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big package came yesterday, while I was at work -- the sump and ATO container -- both from Elite Aquatics.

The UPS man didn't seem to care that the pup would need to go out during the course of the day (( don't worry, he went out through the garage ;) ))

sump_zps62980b7a.jpeg

Managed to get them both in the house;

sump1_zpsa3232c8d.jpg

I really dislike acrylic peanuts and static cling -- took forever, but was packaged very nicely.

sump2_zpse38e4a2a.jpg

Free of most of the peanuts,

ATO1_zps79ad98c9.jpg

ATO2_zps2f38c00b.jpg

Now to the sump, packed with rigid foam insulation

sump3_zps58ce6efe.jpg

sump4_zpsac616704.jpg

Free of its confines --- bigger than I thought, but will work perfectly

sump5_zpsbceff2b2.jpg

Probe holder

sump6_zps6fe0c7f8.jpg

In the past I have made my own sumps (( currently have 3 20 long sumps )), but figured for this build that I would get better results with a pre-made one. Plus, it looks a heck of a lot nicer than anything that I could have made. That was my thoughts for the ATO container; in addition, the shape will help with space within the stand.

OP
OP
Trex

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both the sump and the ATO container are in the garage full of water -- 18 hours so far and bone dry.

I am now wondering about the electric. The circuit that would be used for that tank is already an 20 amp one. The circuit is for the outlets for the dinning room and the eat in part of the kitchen. My 40 breeder is on it, and never had an issue, but that is a lot smaller tank. Nothing else would be on the circuit full time, but once in a while a crockport when we have a party or guests over.
Was thinking that I should just put in a separate 20 amp circuit for just the tank. And since I am doing one, putting in 2 wouldn't be that much extra (( pretty much what I did in the basement for my stereo, and again in the garage )).
Again, not sure I need it, but if if turns out I do need it, I won't be able to change things --- the outlet would be behind the tank.
Thoughts?

OP
OP
Trex

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't updated in a bit --- did spend a week in FLA, never doing that again in August, way too hot and humid for me. But, otherwise the trip was fun.

Trying to schedule a time to have the extra 2 circuits installed for the tank. Might have been able to get away with the existing one, but if I was wrong, it wouldn't be easy to fix --- the outlet is going to be behind the tank.

While I was gone, the sump and ATO container were in my garage full of water, 8 days later there weren't any issues.

sump7_zps9d02c970.jpg

I have received more supplies for the tank, doser and doser containers;
being leak tested, just had the doser there for the pic

doser_zps5a07bd02.jpg

The main pump also came, along with 200lbs of sand, was a pain getting that from the front door to the garage (( garage is in the back of the townhouse )).
Also the filter socks and lamps for the ATI fixture showed up.

Things are going fairly slow, which it okay for now, but starting to get a bit anxious --- just have to remember that I want to do things the right way, and need to let it take as much time as needed. Once I get the electrical work done can make some more progress.

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the upgrade! Looking forward to following your progress...

OP
OP
Trex

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot guys.

The two main purchases that I still have to make (( besides plumbing supplies )) are the controller (( APEX )) and a skimmer, which I haven't decided on yet, so open to suggestions.

cpayne015

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ill be honest i tried skimz for my 220 and have loved it thus far....had reef octopus on and didnt do the job and bought skimz and have loved it....bought the one for 300 gal and done great

OP
OP
Trex

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ill be honest i tried skimz for my 220 and have loved it thus far....had reef octopus on and didnt do the job and bought skimz and have loved it....bought the one for 300 gal and done great

Do you remember what model #? I have been looking at them. I have 3 Reef Octopuses(i) on my tanks -- all the same model, older ones, 160 or something like that -- and I have thought that they are okay, not awful, but not great, so ready for something different.

A few packages came today -- the ATI 8*80 Sunpower, and a pond liner. Going to put the pond liner in the stand, will silicon/caulk it to the sides, so that when I spill water it stays there.

OP
OP
Trex

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some updates --- need to get some pictures...

Had the electrician over, put in 2 20 amp circuits just for the tank. One of the outlets is GFCI, the other is not.

The new skimmer came, Skimz Leopard SL203 DC, fits perfectly into the sump.

Got a delivery date for the tank/stand (( canopy won't be ready yet, but don't need that just yet )), which will be Friday the 26th.

Now, just need to order the plumbing and controller. Think I am going to use a "Herbie" in each overflow, and plumb the return over the back of the tank.

OP
OP
Trex

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still getting things ready for Friday.

On Sunday I managed to take down the 40 breeder and move it out to the garage --- stupidly moved it by myself, which is dumb after 6 back surgeries, in a good deal of pain. But, on a better note, I did find a buyer for it.

A few pictures of that process,

40_1_zps6ef5f034.jpg

Almost there,

40_3_zps05f67c3b.jpg

Over all, looks pretty good. Though, still have to take down the 3 pictures,

40_4_zps93f106b6.jpg

And found a fish -- never knew what happened to it, not sure how it got out, must have been right before/after a water change when the top was off. Still sucks, but nice to know there wasn't some thing I did (( meaning lack of food, water conditions, etc )).

a15b4246-67bc-45c6-91b9-cc50a8ca0989_zps2599f92d.jpg

Lastly, most of the plumbing came yesterday -- still waiting for the 1" gate valves and a few other pieces. Will be interesting to see if there is anything that I forgot to order when I start plumbing it.

(( in front of the 75 that will be taken down { a lot of the 40 breeder is in there }, when the 210 is up and running ))

Pipe_zps997aae59.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 17 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.5%
Back