300 gallon DD new build with 300 gallon DD livestock transfer.

OP
OP
svogun

svogun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Busted seal on a custom stand. The stand was not the issue. I'm actually reaching out to a marine biologist in LI who put in a 1000 gallon reef tank in a high school about my issue. Will touch base with you guys when I get more info from him. I lost my living room floor and 1/2 of my foyer needs to be replaced. From what my contractor says the stand is structurally fine but will need to be refinished. Marineland has offered to replace the tank but am extremely gun shy about putting a tank of that volume anywhere but my basement. Logistically because I have an egress window vice the standard metal door access to my basement, I don't think a 300 DD is going to be a possibility. Additionally, even mentioning the word fish tank to my wife sets her into a frenzy. So now all my liverock is in 55 gallon drums curing for a potential new build. Likely lost my osmolator and possibly even my ballasts for for my radions. Its not a great scenario. One in which I think all of us pray don't happen to them. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. But luckily homeowners insurance is covering the damage and things will be back to normal in a few weeks.

BfishLpond78

F.U.P.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sorry to hear of the failure. Please let me know if you need any help with anything...

Will you attempt another 300?

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with rebuild surprised home owners covered ur damage did u have to fudge the truth a bit?

OP
OP
svogun

svogun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely doing another 300 but not on the second floor. Plans will be for a basement 300 gallon tank. I will be doing a 48inch 90 gallon on the second floor because the room is perfect for a tank.

I reached out to a marine biologist and he indicated while a seal failure was likely the issue with my tank, another issue with tanks over 100 gallons on second floors is micro-vibrations the tank experiences. On a wood floor for example, walking across the floor, traffic outside, opening and closing doors, all distributes vibrations that get translated through the tank. And at approx 8lbs/per gallon stressing the glass as well, additional vibrations that would otherwise be absorbed by a concrete slab, get translated into the tank which can overload the seals. He also clarified that it has nothing to do with the ability of the floor joists to hold the weight of such a big tank, its the weight of that volume of water taking on additional strain from vibrations that a non concrete floor translates into the tank.

The way to combat this is to add steel I beams on a concrete floor in your basement. While this makes sense, I can't risk another catastrophe on my home which btw will be a year old next month! I'll keep you posted on the new build(s). The new 300 will serve as the back to a basement bar.

OP
OP
svogun

svogun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In terms of my homeowner's insurance I'm, a Navy veteran and have USAA. 72 hours after the disaster I had a claims adjuster come into my house and basically cover my entire first floor for new floors if needed. Its been a blessing. Otherwise there would be no discussion of new tanks as I would be paying out of pocket for the damages.

Marineland offered a new tank but I'm going to use my dad's 300 DD. Its been up for 3 years without issue. I have concerns that there is a problem on the production line with the newer tanks and won't risk another issue like I had.

BfishLpond78

F.U.P.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's awesome, thanks for the service and glad that you got it covered.

So will Marineland reimburse you for the tank since you are not taking a replacement?

OP
OP
svogun

svogun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update.. All the damage has finally been repaired! I have a 90 gallon DD cube that I am going to put on the second floor. Having a custom stand built for it as we speak. I'm in the process of getting the sump and refugium cleaned out from the water damage and will be testing out all the pumps and lights. Plan down the road is to take my father's 300 DD and put it in the finished portion of my basement. That will likely be next year's project.

Its been a long few months and the wife and I are finally able to get excited and talk about an aquarium again. I can't say enough about my LFS who was there for me every step of the way. I would not wish this type of disaster on my worst enemy!

In terms of Marineland, I'm having USAA hash it out with them as I was reimbursed for the cost of the tank and the custom stand already.

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging along... Sorry to hear about the seam failure, but glad to hear the damage has been repaired and you are moving forward with your build.

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates?

OP
OP
svogun

svogun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently getting a custom stand built for a 93 cube. That will go on the second floor. Plans for the 300 in the basement is looking like a late spring project.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back