Thinking about a big tank...advice on dimensions

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering starting up another tank. I found a couple of good deals on 2 different new tanks and wanted to see what everyone thought would be the better dimensions. I'm thinking I'd start it out as a FOWLR and later turn it into a full mixed reef.
One is a 300 DD from Marineland 72 x 36 x 27
the other is a 96 x 30 x 22

Both are priced about the same, except the 96" tank comes with a stand for a little more. I'm kind of leaning towards the 96" since its shallower....What would you do in a situation like this!?:bigsmile:

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As much as I like the 300DD I say the 8 foot tank wins. I like the shorter height which will give you an easier time when it comes to maintenance or moving things around. You have to think about if you will dread maintenance or if you wont mind having a tough time. I picked a 180 over a 210 because I knew the 30" height will be a pain even though it looks nice with the extra height.

OP
OP
hatfielj

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a very good point. I hate cleaning my current tank and its only 40" long. I have to keep maintenance in mind.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on what Kworker said. Shorter will make it so much easier to work in the tank whether it's cleaning or working with corals that will end up all over the tank.

stiky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180 for sale if you would like to take a look.

3Twinklets

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 375 at one time. It was acrylic and way to deep. The ability to clean it is by far the most important factor I think. After having 2 large acrylic tanks, I will never have another. If I had to go out and buy another tank today, it would be the Marineland 300g DD.

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say the location in the house is a major factor in the sizing. As others have said if its against a wall, going too deep or too tall can impact the ability to clean it. But my dream spot is a room divider tank, 108x30x27. Since 3 out of four sides are easily accessible cleaning and reaching won't be a challenge. I would then have a center overflow as well.

OP
OP
hatfielj

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest factor for me is width. I can only fit a 36" wide tank down the stairs to the basement, so I know that's as wide as I can go. I don't want to go any taller than 24" for the reasons mentioned. I have a 22" tall tank now and I love how easy it is to maintain.
I'm thinking I'm going to wait rather than jump on one of these deals and IF I decide to upgrade I'll get a 96" or 120" L x 36" x 24" and I'll probably make it a pennisula style tank so all three sides will be easily accesible/viewable. Its going to depend on a few different things that I won't go into (mainly if I'm staying in my current house long term and if I stay with my current career long term as well). I'll have answers to those "if" scenarios in the next year or two most likely, so my wait won't be long. Meanwhile I can let my current tank grow out!

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seals issue, that would be scary, lots of water on your rug or wood floor. And the lost on your livestock, in the thousands of dollars. Few years back a friend and vendor his DT was approximately 400G located in the dining room, the most beautiful all SPS reef tank I ever seen in my 10 yrs in the hobby. This was an establish tanks for years. One day the tank crack, I guess I need not say anymore. I would love to have a big tank, but the horror stories scare me.

CoralFragZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very happy with the 8 footer on 36" stand I got for Great Lakes. My advice if you go with it is make sure you get the Oak Stand and clear center braces.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back