Dwair 180g Achilles Focus

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought myself a standard 72x24x24 Tank! Finally got my tank!

Going to build the tank around my Achilles Tang. I will have one!

Just got it in, took 3 of us. Needs abit of work. Gotta redo ALL of the plumbing. Fit the trim on the tank, its falling off, and the canopy is pretty messed up, but not to bad.

The tank itself though doesn't have any scratches that I could see, though I do need to clean it to REALLY see them. But I feel pretty confident, and that was my PRIMARY concern.

Won't be up and running for quite awhile, but all my fish are being quarantined right now anyways.

Here's a pic!

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after cleaning it with vingear, and baking soda, I found that the hard water stains and the haze/etching isn't going away and I do have a few scratches in the center.

So I ordered Cerium Oxide powder (aquarium safe) and felt pads and I'm going to try to buff them out of the glass.

Going to be alot of work, but I want this tank to be prisitine!

I'll post before and after pics

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this has been put on hold. Will be getting a brand new 180 gallon Acrylic one instead. Selling this tank. Can't get over the center brace. Old schoolers probably don't mind it, but its driving me nuts.

Got with John at Advanced Acrylics again and just put the deposit down on a Brand new Tank, Sump, AND ATO Reservoir.

Tank will be 3/4" Acrylic Euro Braced with NO Center Brace. This was important to me. Also will have a special Polycarbonate Lid made for it. With Holes drilled in back for wiring and holes drilled in front for feeding. Dual overflows with the acrylic covers.

Even though I just made a new sump for my 90gallon (that I'm going to end up selling) I was going to transfer it over to the 180, but after seeing all the room I have in that stand, I've decided to just go ahead and have a custom built one that is ALOT bigger. Also Found some design flaws on the old sump that I didn't like, that were on my part, not John's. For instance as its only 16" tall, it has water splash from the bubble diffuser chamber and throwing salt creep REAL bad all up inside my cabinet.
I also don't like how small the refugium section is, nor how the baffles are in that section as the water flows from the bottom instead of the top and I have like no flow on the top so I have accumulation there of different stuff, only fix would be to put a powerhead in there.

Also as my current ATO reservoir will be sold with my 90g setup, I just went ahead and get one custom built. He said 12x20x20 (20gallon). Thought that would be pretty sweet.

Not going to be cheap for all this, but he cut me a package deal and discount for Black Friday. Put a deposit down today and got some time before I have to pay in full. This gives me time to get together a Sump design.

tjgr34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm subscribed to tag along. Achilles are so cool and I can't wait to see a tank built around keeping one.

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm subscribed to tag along. Achilles are so cool and I can't wait to see a tank built around keeping one.

Yea ever since I got into this hobby I've kept my eye on that fish and wanted it, but never had the proper tank for it. Done my research on how much of a disease magnet they can be, so thats why I'm starting fresh and building it around the Achilles. Want to have everything perfect for him.

jen2828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When we got our Achilles we started him out in a 6 ft tank. That was 4 years ago...he's now 7 1/2" and we just got done upgrading to an 8 ft tank for him ;-)

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well while I've been waiting on my tank, I decided to remodel my Living room to get ready for the tank. Here's some pics.

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well its official I ordered my lighting just now.

72" Hamilton Cebu Sun 3x250W MH and 4 80W T5. I had them change out the ballasts from M58's to M80s. Also changed out the regular 20k MH bulbs for Radiums.

Got a **** good price. $1120 Shipped! Discounts galore, great customer service from Hamilton.

Hopefully will be here next Friday.

tjgr34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice choice on the stain and grain for the new floor! The tank doesn't look bad, either.

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spent the whole day muratic acid'ing and bleaching rock. Now time to dry and a freshwater soak after.

Back