Large custom tank manufacturers

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for recommendations on large tank manufacturers. I'm looking to get a 72 x 36 x 24" tank. I've had experience with AGE and Coast to Coast in the past. Coast to Coast is a bit pricey, so I'm steering away from them right now. AGE I really like because of their PVC bottoms, but I don't know if they're still considered a reputable manufacturer. Also, the quote I've got so far from them says that they require a stainless steel frame top and bottom on this tank. Even with the eurobracing I've requested. Does anyone else have a tank like that?
What other tank builders are well respected now?

currentking

Rookie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
best tank i have sheen is a reef savvy tank. Very pricey but so worth in in quality and the ghost overflow is great with bean animal.

OP
OP
hatfielj

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I've seen a lot of pictures of the Reef Savvy tanks. They are certainly gorgeous tanks, but A LOT more expensive then even the most expensive tank manufacturers out there. There comes a point when its just not worth it. Ultimately, I want the corals to be the main focus, so I don't want to spend too much on the tank itself. I'm just looking for something solid with nice polished glass, good silicone work, and quality overflow and eurobracing work.

OP
OP
hatfielj

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having coral as a focal point in a "crappy" designed tank, is like putting Ferrari rims on a Camry. Just my $.02.

Whoever said crappy? I just said reef savvy was way too expensive (over 2k more than an AGE or Coast to Coast for the same tank).

OP
OP
hatfielj

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any opinions on Miracles tanks? So far they gave me the best quote overall. I'm really leaning towards this one:)

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my Miracles tank yesterday. I am extremely impressed, heavy duty does not begin to describe it. I also called the places you mentioned for quotes and despite Miracles being a bit less they used thicker glass and stronger construction (internal small bottom eurobrace, tempered back, external rear trim including the external overflow) than the other places including great lakes. I updated pics on my build thread in my sig.

OP
OP
hatfielj

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats good to hear! My LFS has good experiences with them so I feel pretty confident that they are quality tanks.

currentking

Rookie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you looking at apples to apples when looking at Reef Savvy? Normally Reef Savvy uses thicker glass when they don't need to, multi layer bottom and ghost overflow. I am extremely happy with mine.

OP
OP
hatfielj

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you looking at apples to apples when looking at Reef Savvy? Normally Reef Savvy uses thicker glass when they don't need to, multi layer bottom and ghost overflow. I am extremely happy with mine.

You're probably right, they may be building a whole different class of tanks. I'm sure I'd be very happy with them too, they are truly beautiful aquariums and they look to be very well made. I'm just not sure I want to spend that much money. Who knows, maybe I'll change my mind after looking into this for awhile:)

OP
OP
hatfielj

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And, its a miracle....My wife is actually letting me get a bigger tank (sort of, she's not thrilled about it, but she's also not throwing her hands up and saying no, which is usually all the approval I need)! I'm thinking 96 x 36 x 24
Maybe peninsula style? A walk around tank seems like it would be really cool.

socent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome hatfielj, how long does it take for Miracle to build a tank that size? Curious, and in the market.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back