Travis and Jessica's 400G Build

A_CoupleClowns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, first thing we have to say is we are very excited to be here! So many amazing setups in this forum.

We just moved into a new home and what better time than now to set up our dream tank. Now that the time has come we decided to put up a build thread to help keep track of the progress, and also receive suggestions and advice from all the experienced members here.

The tank dimensions are 96.5 x 36 x 27H, the front and both sides are starphire glass. We decided on these dimensions after looking at "oldudes" threads, you could say his awesome setup inspired and got us to actually pull the trigger. The overflow is a coast to coast style 88" long. The tank will have 1.25" powdercoated SS frames top and bottom. The bottom will be 1" pvc. The tank is being made by as we type this by A.G.E.. We will be incorporating a small basement fish room housing the sump/frag tank, filtration and a fan for humidity control.

Here is a bad phone photo of the CAD scan.
image_zpsvkzljg1a.jpg

At this point in the build we are trying to plan out the overflow/return strategy. We are planning on going right over the top with the return, the overflow is what we are undecided on so far. The basement sump is not directly below the tank and has a 20ft horizontal run to make it to the sump, possibly even a little 5 inch up and over at some point (its a finished basement so a few unknowns will be mixed in I am sure). I was planning on doing Herbie style overflow because I have been told BA won't work well at all for our situation. One very important note, Jessica said if the tank ever overflows upstairs its done and out of the house, period. :uzi: So an overflow setup with a large emergency drain is required lol. Do the experienced members have any ideas how I should move forward with the overflow/drain setup? We have never setup a basement sump and want to do it right the first time. What size bulk heads and piping would you run?

We will probably be stuck running a monster sized return pump, Reeflo Barracuda/Hammerhead maybe? We are planning on running a Gyre pump on each end of the tank for water circulation. ATI T5's for lighting, we have 2 Radium 400w with Lumatek ballasts but we would need at least one more and would like to try and cut some power usage with this large of a tank. Just about to start building the stand any day now. AGE called today asking about the holes for the overflow and what the return plan was so want to get that squared away asap.

I am sure I missed a few things but thats a good start at least.

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to REEF2REEF!! Sounds like a heck of a build! Can't wait to see your progress on it. Tuning in:)

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, I can't wait to see this build come together!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ooh very excited to watch this one go!

Welcome to R2R!!

Dmmz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R ! Following along to see this one

OP
OP
A_CoupleClowns

A_CoupleClowns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With this long vertical run we have (20') down to the basement sump would a Bean overflow have trouble starting the siphon?

We were kind of planning to just do a Herbie style overflow because I have been told that should work, but if a BA will work would that be the safest option when thinking about emergency drain capacity and no water spills upstairs?

At this point we are not even convinced a Herbie will work out with that vertical run. Any advice is appreciated.

Should we go with 2" bulk heads?

OP
OP
A_CoupleClowns

A_CoupleClowns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or should we just go Durso since its a basement sump and we wont hear the sump drain noise upstairs at the display?

Basement sump is right under a bedroom so low noise would be a plus but I am sure I could quiet it down enough to work out just fine.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome! Following! :thumb:

OP
OP
A_CoupleClowns

A_CoupleClowns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we settled on three 1.5" sch80 bulkheads spaced around 6" apart and over to the left side of the overflow so I can reach back there for any maintenance that might need to be done. Going to attempt the bean overflow, and if that doesn't work out going to run 2 durso's and an emergency. We will see what happens.

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice Travis congrats on the upgrade I'm sure she will look great with all those gems u been collecting

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we settled on three 1.5" sch80 bulkheads spaced around 6" apart and over to the left side of the overflow so I can reach back there for any maintenance that might need to be done. Going to attempt the bean overflow, and if that doesn't work out going to run 2 durso's and an emergency. We will see what happens.

Welcome to R2R, looks like an awesome build. I think you made the right choice going with the bean animal, it's really just just one more pipe and should work great. Just make sure you have a valve on your full siphon pipe and another going back to your sump from your return pump so you have adjustments going both ways. I hope that makes sense :)

OP
OP
A_CoupleClowns

A_CoupleClowns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice Travis congrats on the upgrade I'm sure she will look great with all those gems u been collecting

Thanks Jae! Gonna be exciting to get everything running/stabilized and to that point. We can't wait to get back to gem collecting again.

OP
OP
A_CoupleClowns

A_CoupleClowns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, looks like an awesome build. I think you made the right choice going with the bean animal, it's really just just one more pipe and should work great. Just make sure you have a valve on your full siphon pipe and another going back to your sump from your return pump so you have adjustments going both ways. I hope that makes sense :)

Thanks!

Cool that makes perfect sense, and yes thats the plan. Gate valve on the siphon drain and a Ball valve on the return. I am hoping to throttle the return pump down a bit if we have to run the big reeflo, save a few watts of electricity anywhere possible.

OP
OP
A_CoupleClowns

A_CoupleClowns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Due to the logistics of the basement fishroom (tons of plumbing and drilling through floor joists to dodge the up and over) we have decided to change the plans a bit. The wall that the 400g is up against is the garage on the other side. We are going to frame up/insulate a fishroom inside the garage along this wall. Something around 8'x8'x8'h. The garage extends out a bit on both sides of the garage door so there is plenty of room out there. This should also help keep the humidity out of the house.

The one small downside is there is no sink/faucet out in the garage. But I will be able to run the ro/di lines out there no problem. I could plumb a drain and run some cheap PEX plumbing lines for a faucet but we are wondering if it will really be needed? May even take up valuable space in the fish room. We will have a 4'x5'x2' (300g) sump/mangrove/frag tank eating up a large chunk of the fishroom already. And we are going to set up an auto water changing station, taking up another decent portion of the room.

One of the best parts about the garage fishroom, Jessica is really happy to be keeping the fishroom out of the laundry room/basement. You know what they say, Happy Wife = Happy Life. :)

Going to pick up the lumber for the stand today, I like working with wood so should be a hoot.

OP
OP
A_CoupleClowns

A_CoupleClowns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it is time to give this thread a little substance!

Here is the stand. Still need to seal it and skin it.

Here is the view from the entry way when you first enter the home.

Here is a photo from the dining room table area, its a nice spot for the tank because you will be able to see it from so many different areas of the home (dining room, breakfast bar area, living room and entry way). Try and ignore the ghetto sectional couch, we have a new sectional that we are getting to replace that couch so we wanted copy a sectional until we get it :lol2:

The dogs never miss a photo opportunity. I have caught the black one listening for the t5's to click on and then heading over to sit in front of the tank for a little viewing session. They are both awesome and love the fish, sometimes I think they are waiting for one to jump out, wrasse fish stick... :lol:

Here is a photo of Ella to even it out. She is a blue Doberman, although its hard to tell in the low light.

OP
OP
A_CoupleClowns

A_CoupleClowns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend came over and framed the room up for us last night. We settled on 7'x10'x8'H. Now its time to pick up some sheetrock/tape/mud, insulation, wiring/outlets, light socket/switch and a door and I think we will be able to call it a room. We are making progress so that's a good thing.

We also need to pick up some plywood for the top of the stand and some trim,wood and paint/primer to skin the stand. Homedepot has been making a killing off of us lately, LOL.

OP
OP
A_CoupleClowns

A_CoupleClowns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered 350lbs of dry rock. We went with regular rock for the lower part of the structure and shelf rock covering the whole top of the structure. Basically just aiming for a long reef cove look. After looking around a bit we decided to use reef rocks.net for the dry rock. Contacted reef rocks and Steve really hooked us up big time. Steve is also going to hand pick us some special shelf pieces to really step our build up a notch! So awesome. We will get some good photos up of the rock up when it arrives :bigsmile:

Got the wood and trim to skin the stand today. Hopefully get the stand skinned and all mostly finished tomorrow.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back