Here we go again...Rayns 180 build

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am at it again. This time a used 180 I picked up...tank, stand, canopy, sump, skimmer, pumps, UV, basically plug and play. However it needed a severe cleaning. I picked the R2R brains a bit and got it cleaned up fairly well. I was hoping for a plug and play as I have just finished setting my 120 in wall and spent all the money there, but I have a few issues I need to resolve before I consider this a fully running reef.

First, I am upgrading the skimmer. It came with a coralife skimmer, and while I inderstand there are mods that help it perform I have a warner marine K2 just sitting. I will use it instead.
Second, three of the four light ballasts on the 6-bulb Tek Light (there are two) aren't working. I think I had a total of three bulbs fire when I plugged them in. Deciding on whether to replace the ballasts or go led yet.
Third, return pumps are miss matched. One is a Rio 2100 and the other is a ????? I am not really sure where to go here, but if they work that will at least buy me some time to figure it out.

It has taken about a month or longer to get to this point, just added sand tonight and bought new plumbing for the drains and returns. Got them hooked up and wet tested the overflows, only one small leak in a bulkhead and that is fixed now.

I have ran a water line from my RO/DI and have started the long grueling process of filling without carrying buckets. By my calculations it should be full somewhere in the 70 hour period!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 327
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 333
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 316
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 360
OP
OP
rayn

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one big issue I knew about before I even bought it, was the fans in the canopy. They were just caked in dust. I took them out and tossed them. I found some called ThunderBlade, that light up when on. I will have to cut new holes in the canopy though as the new fans are much bigger.

I plan to have these hooked up to a apex and turn on mostly if the tank gets to hot.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 320
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 321

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following keep us posted. Looks like a great build.

OP
OP
rayn

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One fan done, one to go

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 296
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 294
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 294
OP
OP
rayn

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the other side done too. Also moved the screen to the inside for a cleaner look.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 286
OP
OP
rayn

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following keep us posted. Looks like a great build.

Thanks Mike. I hope it turns out decent at least. Some builds on here are outstanding!

Sorry, thought I posted this once before. Can't find it now though.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Mike. I hope it turns out decent at least. Some builds on here are outstanding!

Sorry, thought I posted this once before. Can't find it now though.
I bet it will be awesome. Take your time and think about everything ahead of time to make it great.

OP
OP
rayn

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My big issue is deciding on what I want the tank to be. LPS, SPS, mix, number of fish, size of fish. There are so many choices out there. Guess that's why this isn't my only tank.

It is filling now, slow process straight off the ro/di. But then the cycle after that. Gives me time to figure things out.

OP
OP
rayn

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still filling. I got both fans wired together and they turn on by switch right now, will be hooked to a apex to turn on and off with temp. Moon lights are wired up. I had a Kessil 360 WE sitting that was for a different tank but didn't get used. Put it on just for looks right now, not sure what lights I will end up with in the end.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 265

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tank and stand. Great find! Maybe look for a plastic grille guard & filter set for those fans. Will dress up that canopy and help catch some of the dust.

FanGrille1_zps0ve6fptu.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
rayn

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fin, those would be perfect! That is why I did the screen on the outside first, but didn't like the finished look. Some type of filter cover would be cool.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine through Orion Fans, but that was a while back. I am sure a quick search on eBay and you can find some form of them easily.

OP
OP
rayn

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Needs rock I think!

Once I get some rock in there I will add salt and finish the filling. Only thing without water is the sump, figure it will fill as rock disperses water.

Any idea how long fish can make it if I start taking rock out of their tank? I have some I can move over, but I want to drill and make little pillars and platforms in here. Their rock may vanish for a day or so before the fish move over.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 273

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I'll be tagging along! :)

OP
OP
rayn

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks saltgator and seahorsekeeper!

Bought a bucket of IO salt last night. Tank is what again? 180 plus sump, minus rock. Bucket fills 160 gallons. DOH! I am sure I will displace when I add rock, but I am planning to use cycled rock and don't want to mess with it in a low salt environment.

I added a mp40 to mix things up in the tank, think I am going to look into the quiet drive motor. My others are behind a wall, this one is out in the room just humming away.

My view! Who needs TV?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 201

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back