The Kiddie Pool - Reflective's 225ish

Reflective

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disclaimer: Not really a kiddie pool :confused:

I’ve been an aquarium lover since I was 5 and my parents had a little freshwater tank in the dining room. Sadly, around age 7, I decided the fish were hungry and proceeded to dump all the fish food in the tank. By the time my parents noticed it was too late for the few inhabitants. Luckily, I learned from my mistake and have had 3 very successful freshwater tanks since.

A few years ago I discovered the wonder of saltwater tanks. After hearing horror stories from my friends and co-workers who tried to start tanks, and reading how difficult it was in various forums and books, I decided to have kids instead. Shortly after 2 kids, I decided I was ready to start a saltwater tank.

I hastily bought a 72x24x24 tank from Coast to Coast Aquariums. A week or two after I ordered it, I mocked the tank out on a foldable table so I could start playing with the rocks I ordered from Marco Rocks. I immediately regretted how narrow it felt at 24â€. So I called Coast to Coast and luckily they hadn’t started on my tank yet, so I was able to change the dimensions to 72x30x24.

Fast forward about 8 weeks and my tank arrived! I was pretty annoyed when I looked into the truck to see a large box with stickers all over it that said “Do Not Top Load†with my steel stand loaded on top of it. The driver was nice enough that I didn’t say much about it since I know he wasn’t the one who loaded the truck. Watching him unload it was crazy. All I kept saying to myself was “If it breaks, they will replace it… if it breaks, they will replace it… “ I felt bad watching this guy try to move a 400 pound tank with a 200 pound stand on top of it. Even worse, one of the pallets it was sitting on was broken, so it kept catching on every little dent and bump on the truck floor.

Unloading_zps55qxibv7.jpg

After about 45 minutes and few really scary shoves, the tank was in the driveway and free of damage. Unfortunately, it wasn’t practical to set the tank up in the driveway so my dad and I had to figure out how to get this tank up on the deck and into the front door.

driveway_zpsnoeryqjc.jpg

IMG_0483_zps4xw7hfkw.jpg

My dad is amazing at rigging stuff up and we were able to get straps all around the tank and lift it up on the hoist on the back of his truck.

IMG_0489_zpsj5lm4xog.jpg

IMG_0494_zps1cgdo5dj.jpg

He slowly drove it over to the deck while I kept it from swinging. It lifted it exactly 1 inch above the pallet jack we planned to use to move it to the door… *whew*!

IMG_0498_zpswmbmkakh.jpg

It was pretty easy to line the tank up to start sliding it threw the door. I had a moment of panic when I was realized I had no idea how wide the door entrance is, but the tank just fit.

We used a pulley system around the tank and a beam inside the house to move it through the door. Used another pulley system around a beam in the ceiling to lift it high enough to get it over the bottom of an engine hoist. Then we moved the engine hoist under it and hooked it up. Helps a lot having a house with unfinished ceilings.

IMG_0504_zpshjcksrex.jpg

We used the engine hoist to move it over to the stand, but realized we had to get the straps off before putting it down on the stand since we couldn’t lift it by hand. We set it down on some very rickety metal sawhorses placed in front of the stand.

IMG_0507_zpsf9z9nvxn.jpg

Another moment of panic when we undid all the straps from the engine hoist so the sawhorses were holding all the weight, and my dad mentions he thinks the sawhorses are from Harbor Freight. We both pushed the tank very carefully and jumped back each time one of the sawhorses creaked. Pretty scary wondering what would happen if one of the sawhorses gave out. Didn't take very long though to move it onto the stand as the foam they put on top made it very easy to slide the tank.

IMG_0509_zpsdtphfllh.jpg

Now the real fun could begin! Except my husband got PCS orders to San Diego, so I had to wait till we moved. The plus side was that it was now the Navy's responsibility to move the tank. ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reflective

Reflective

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rockwork

I wanted to use dry rock and sand for my tank as I really don’t want any uninvited critters. I went with Marco Rocks and got 150 pounds of Key Largo Rock and 30 pounds of Key Largo Shelf Rock. I wanted an open look to my layout, and also love the look of ledges. After my first mockup I realized I needed some sort of retreat for the fish so made a couple tunnels on the right side. I couldn't really get a good picture of it because of the windows reflecting off the glass. Maybe tonight. I used E-Marco-400 to cement the rocks together and used buckets to hold the shelves up while they dried. I probably only used 100 pounds (maybe less) of the regular rock and all of the shelf rock.

I am using Tropic Eden Miniflakes for the sand. I was very impressed with the cleanliness and consistency of the sand. I will have to see how it holds up to the flow in the tank. I ordered 6 30# bags of it, and what you see in the tank is only 2 bags. I will probably add one more then call it good.

IMG_20150324_123654_rewind_zpsohorq2la.jpg

IMG_20150324_123837_rewind_zpspe3zxr5i.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oooh sweet tank and aquascape!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wanted to use dry rock and sand for my tank as I really don’t want any uninvited critters. I went with Marco Rocks and got 150 pounds of Key Largo Rock and 30 pounds of Key Largo Shelf Rock. I wanted an open look to my layout, and also love the look of ledges. After my first mockup I realized I needed some sort of retreat for the fish so made a couple tunnels on the right side. I couldn't really get a good picture of it because of the windows reflecting off the glass. Maybe tonight. I used E-Marco-400 to cement the rocks together and used buckets to hold the shelves up while they dried. I probably only used 100 pounds (maybe less) of the regular rock and all of the shelf rock.

I am using Tropic Eden Miniflakes for the sand. I was very impressed with the cleanliness and consistency of the sand. I will have to see how it holds up to the flow in the tank. I ordered 6 30# bags of it, and what you see in the tank is only 2 bags. I will probably add one more then call it good.

IMG_20150324_123654_rewind_zpsohorq2la.jpg

IMG_20150324_123837_rewind_zpspe3zxr5i.jpg

PS. I love Tropic Eden!

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool beginning! By the looks, this will be another awesome build to follow.

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hooked... :popcorn:

OP
OP
Reflective

Reflective

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Reflective

Reflective

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump Area & Plumbing

For the sump area, I wanted it to be able to hold some water in case of leaks. I put a piece of plywood on the bottom with 6 inches of acrylic around it. Not exactly sure how much it will hold with the sump in there, but hopefully enough for me to notice and fix whatever the problem is.
IMG_8069_zpsa3jdpaz4.jpg

I'm using this box to go behind the stand against the wall. The plan is to have all the controls and stuff behind the tank in some cabinets and I think the box will keep a lot of the moisture from the sump away from the electrical stuff. But until I get the cabinets built all the stuff is just going to sit on a board on top of this box. The black squares are these grommets I found at McMaster-Carr to pass all the electrical cords through.
IMG_8253_zpsqboscfgf.jpg

IMG_8254_zpsgtmji6mf.jpg

I decided to make a sump out of a 75 gallon tank. I wanted a center return so my refugium would have flow straight from the tank and back to the tank. Tunze DOC 9430 skimmer is on the left side with my refugium on the right. I have two 1 1/2†drains from the overflow. So the left drain drains completely into the left side of the sump, and the right drain splits between the left side of the sump and the refugium. I am using 2 PanWorld 50PX-X pumps as my return pumps with 1" returns. I have plumbing for two reactors on the right. On the left I have the option to add a chiller if needed, and I made an acclimation valve.

I bought the blue pipe from BRS. Definitely like the look of it. I did notice it seems either slightly smaller than the white PVC I was using to mock everything out, or it's slightly slipperier because the pipe went into the fittings a lot further/easier than the white stuff. So I just used a fine point sharpie to mark how far the pipe was supposed to go into the fittings, and another mark to show how the fitting aligned so I didn't get any angles wrong. Never glued PVC before, so I followed the instructions on a BRS video. I used Oatey Clear Primer and Glue. It was fun at first, then became pretty tedious. At one point I found myself trying to count to 45 seconds faster as if somehow I could make time go by faster. Didn't work.

I couldn't wait to start seeing some life while I was working on everything else... so I cycled the refugium area and put some algae and pods I got from Indo Pacific Sea Farms in there. I didn't see them for a while so I thought they all died from something, but two weeks ago, I moved the HOB filter, which pushed a lot of the algae against the front glass and it is covered with the pods, so that made me happy. I can shut off the water to the refugium side, so I will just keep it as is until the rest of the tank has cycled.

IMG_8262_zpsvkduxwih.jpg

I added a Chloramine filter to my RO/DI filter yesterday, and it says to keep it wet for 24 hours before using for best performance, so I'm waiting before I start adding water to the tank. Super excited to get it full of water! Super nervous to see if I glued all the PVC right!

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the rock work!! Looking forward to seeing this come together! :)

OP
OP
Reflective

Reflective

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Reflective

Reflective

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put some water in the overflow when I finished the plumbing couple days ago and noticed this morning there is a drop of water on the pipe below one of the drain bulkheads and it is wet around the bulkhead on the glass, so there is a really slow leak. Not sure if I should just leave it and let it seal itself, or try to tighten it or loosen and retighten?

OP
OP
Reflective

Reflective

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is full of water now. The leak stopped already while I was deciding what to do about it.

I also got the mount for the light put together and installed today. Used Faztek t-slotted aluminum. It can move vertically and horizontally. I don't think I'll be able to move it by myself vertically once the light is mounted on it, but being able to move it forward and back by myself should make it much easier to have access to the tank.

IMG_20150401_170520_rewind_zpszqykolaj.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 78 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back