327 gallon build. Wish me luck.

firemedix911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:pray:So here goes my attepmt at building my first totaly new from the ground up system. I currently have a 90 gallon tank which I bought most of it and have added things slowly. Not being happy with scratches and just plain old messy set up I decided to go ahead and set up as big and as nice of a set up as I can afford and fit in the house at this time. I'll document here and add updates as time permits and as I make progress on it.

DT is 84x30x30 Lowiron glass front and both sides glass. Ghost style Overflow with beananimal system. Wanna keep it quiet, it'll sit in my living room and I live my TV. I just received notice from the builder that the tank is built and awaiting my approval for delivery. As things would have it I was supposed to see the tank yesterday but the vehicle I had borrow to move a 225 gallon tank for AWC took a crap and I couldn't make it to the builder's warehouse so till monday I won't be able to see the tank. :frusty:

Stand was custom made by a local guy who's work I had seen and liked. When it was all said and done I loved the stand. It came out just as I wanted. More importantly it matches the wife's furniture. That was a must. :tape2:

The sump holds about 90 gallons. Acrylic with Refugium and Skimmer compartments besides the drain compartment and return pump bafle.

Return pump is going to be provided by a Reeflo Superdart Gold pump. Decided on it bc the minimal heat transfer, very minimal noise and the capacity this pump has.

Skimmer is a SRO 5000 int. Got it from a memeber here at a killer price,brand new. Sohuld be more than capable of handling an LPS/SPS mixed reef. The skimmer is a beast.

And here's in the sump. I'm gonna need to probably build a base for it. No biggie.

I'm planing on running a pair of seaswirls 1" on each corner of the tank. And a coupe of powerheads for more water movement.

Lighting will be provided by 3 hydras 52 and 2 Vegas Color. I'm gonna end up upgrading the vegas to the 52 LEDs in the future.

I also have a full APEX wit BO box and 3 EB8s. I don't hink I'll need all three but we'll see.

I'm also setting up AWC and ATO with Spectrapure LM3 pumps.

I have all set up and already curing about 450-500#'s of rock. Won't be ussing all of it If I can help it but I's in there just in case I need it. All the rock was killed, acid bathed, RO dipped for a week and is now sitting in two 100 gallon totes with flow and dosing seaclear for PO4. Soon I'll thro a dead shrimp in there to start the cycle and sve me some time.

I've also gonne ahead and set up my QT/HT. 29gallon tank. Will run Chloroquine constantly on this dsiplay. I have my current tank with just corals and inverts. My QT has a powder brown, hippo and Candycane hogfish in it right now. All doing gr8. By the time I'm done they should be ready to go in my main display as soon as the cycle is done.

I've been working like crazy lately but this nex week I get to work just 1 24 hours shift so I hope I can get the tank home and start working on it. If everything goes according to plan In a month max I should be all set up. :pray:

OP
OP
F

firemedix911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. Any suggestions shoot it my way. I need all the help I can get.

Chloroquine Sulfate is a drug that as MRRB said was used for the treatment of malaria in humans. However that's not the standard of care anymore. However it's been used with a lot of success for marine applications. It isn't reef safe. It's a fish only treatment but it has no negative effect on nitrifying bacteria. It is also a lot less toxic than Copper and it has more leeway in the dosage allowing for a bigger room to make mistakes if that was to happen. I really like it over copper bc there's no need for test kits and you can dose anywhere from 40mg/gallon all the way to 80mg/gallon with no I'll effects towards fish.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Along for the ride, looks like another great build, best of luck!!!

Reflective

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome. Are you using the white egg crate in the sump for a frag rack or something else?

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is going to be a great build! I'm tagging along! :)

OP
OP
F

firemedix911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome. Are you using the white egg crate in the sump for a frag rack or something else?

Thanks man. The modern look was a must. The wife had just gotten brand spanking new furniture and the stand needed to match otherwise there'd be trouble in the house. Can't have that.:tsk: But I love ho t came out as well.

OP
OP
F

firemedix911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks man. My goal was to have a small frag rack in the sump but I've decided I'm just gonna build a small Frag tank in the office and call it a day. That egg crate is jus there to hold floss and filtering stuff. I might not even keep it there. Don't know yet.

OP
OP
F

firemedix911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the kind comments guys. I'll try to keep the updates coming. Hopefully I get to look at the tank today.

OP
OP
F

firemedix911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to get a couple of things done last week. Styrofoam for tank suport. Check. I also went to HD and got me some cork used for insulation under tile floors. I was given the advice to place it on the bottom of the sump to help reduce vibration noise as well as to support my sump. I must say it was gr8 advice. (thanks Jonnyu) I liked ho it came out.
This is the stuff.

And this is how it fits under the sump.

OP
OP
F

firemedix911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also figured I'd need to cutt off 2" of the top of the sump so I could get the skimmer in and out. A quick phone call to Matt put me on the right track and the sump was cut in less than an hour and I liek how it looks now better than before. IT freed up so much more space plus potential to hand stuff on it.
And this is what the sump looks like now.

OP
OP
F

firemedix911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also got a mayor update over the weekend. The tank has finally arrived and I love it.:bounce:
IT was amazing how it took just two guys to move it and place it on the stand. Nothing beats experience. :hail:

And this is the tank finally in the stand witht he canopy. :clap2:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back