My 560 Gallon Acro Oasis

Acrononomus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well let me start off by saying I've been in this hobby since 2004 a long time now that I think about it. My first ever tank was a 75 gallon with a hang on the back filter that I had moderate success with. It seems like every time we move we decide to upgrade our tanks, so as I moved around I also had, a 120g, 60 cube , my most recent 245 gallon. Well the time has come again as I have finally got the chance to move into my first house that I will own. So with that comes... "THE UPGRADE!"

I have plenty of space to house my new aquarium in my dining room is where I like to keep them and this fits well at the new place as I can see it from the kitchen, living room and throught the house. I chose to go through miracles for this tank as its so massive I couldn't get Steve at Great Lakes Aquariumsicon to build it, he just didn't have the room. He will be building my Sump however.

The new aquarium will be 10 feet long, 36 inches wide and 30" tall. I have dreamed about this tank for a long time and never had the space for it. Well I finally do. It will be Starfire front and left side, it will have an external overflow box with 4- 2" drains. There will be 5-1" returns along the back bottom, and 4 1" returns across the front. I had the back done in black vinyl as well as the right side and bottom. I will be going bare bottom in this setup.

As far as flow I plan to run my barracuda gold return wide open, currently I run it at half throttle on my current setup, all my equitment is house in the basement now, it will not be for the new setup. I will be putting a fish room behind the tank, unfortunatly it will be small so I will really have to think my setup out more on that later.

For flow I will run between 4-6 mp60s

Lighting will be 5-6 400 w radiums on lumatek ballasts , I may run 3, 400s and 2 250s for now as that's what I have. I will also be running t5 on icecap ballast

Skimming will be left up to my trusty bubble king 300 delux internal.

Of course I will be running the apex as well.... Loads more of things to come along the way, I'll be posting some pictures up shortly.....

The aquarium should be ready sometime in the next few weeks

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
FOLLOWING!! :thumb:

OP
OP
Acrononomus

Acrononomus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitly gonna be fun! I haven't posted pics to reef to reef yet, do u just copy the img link from photobucket or do u have to edit the link?
Couple things done today, I got my sump ordered from my local guy Steve at Great Lakes aquariums, it's gonna be 6' long 30" wide , 18" tall. It will have 4 sections I'll be putting in myself, I will be drilling the bottom so I can drain the whole sump with the turn of a valve for water changes and cleanings. Also got my 220 line in for my lights, I'll be running them on a separate controller hooked to the apex. Also had 2 20 amp dedicated circuits installed!

OP
OP
Acrononomus

Acrononomus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres a test picture of the area the tank will go, this is the first day I got the house :

IMG_8370_zpsc7fc7eff.jpg

OP
OP
Acrononomus

Acrononomus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the first picture you can see I definitly need to do some remodeling! Good bones but really dated. As you can see the ceramic tiled dining room has to go, as well as move the heat run and doorway to the master bedroom. The closet will also have to be rebuilt . Here's a front view of the aquarium all taped off. I also taped the other dimensions of a 8' tank and my old 6' by 30" tank.

IMG_8393_zps6c1b8a3d.jpg

Here's where the new entry door to the fish room will be at, have to move the thermostat,

IMG_8397_zps182f2201.jpg

Here's some of the demo, and the cutout for the new entry:
IMG_8414_zps9c7adb41.jpg

Wider view, new master bedroom entry will be to the far left....
IMG_8416_zpse6995f09.jpg

Brothers helping w demo....
IMG_8404_zpsb8ca0c5b.jpg

New wall framed in place
IMG_8431_zps586773a2.jpg

I sound proofed the walls in between the fish room and master for obvious reasons.... More pics to come....

fl2re

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Subscribed! Looks like a great build

OP
OP
Acrononomus

Acrononomus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate all the interest and comments, any ideas from anyone is greatly appreciated as I go along this journey. I have most of it pretty well thought out, just a few little things I may need advice on.... More pics coming soon!

OP
OP
Acrononomus

Acrononomus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well in my quest to sound proof this room I found this noise proofing compound u put down before the sound board and some 5/8 drywall and some good insulation :

IMG_8432_zps6c039e84.jpg

IMG_8436_zpse1ebd515.jpg

Sound board going up on fish room side, it will be on both sides of the wall , along with 2 layers of drywall on each side...

IMG_8447_zps4f3c03a4.jpg

Tank side all soundboard up..
IMG_8449_zpsff032b17.jpg

Greenboard:
IMG_8454_zpsc5617c61.jpg

Master closet got the same treatment, here it is all drywall end and framed:
IMG_8469_zps1d2c5996.jpg

Last edited:

tcarter1936

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the chaos of a tank build. Looks like your of to a great start. I can't wait to sell my townhome so I can upgrade my house/tank. Lol. Keep up the good work.

OP
OP
Acrononomus

Acrononomus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks brother maybe I can finally get you over here when the tank arrives! :) with a nice house warming pack of those frags u have !

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%
Back