The ins and outs of my 20,000 gallon reef tank .

JimmyShock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow, the legend has arrived. I was just showing your youtube video to a co worker about an hr ago. Glad to see the tank is back up and running man.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello, my man is Bill Wann I and I was invited here to share my 20,000 gallon reef tank . I built the tank and everything myself from scratch and have even made a spin off company building equipment for large tanks . my tank has been running since 2010 and everything was going great until January of this year when a 6 inch pipe for my surge broke and drained the tank down to 24 inches of water . I was able to save all my fish and have reworked the tank . the tank was back to running again withing a week and now I am in the process of adding all new coral to the tank . I have added well over 100 pieces of sps so far and will be adding more . I have a large amount of fish in the tank and a very heave bioload .

Some specs on the tank , It is 24 feet long , 10 feet tall and 10 feet wide . it is lite with 12 400 watt metal halides and i will be adding 6 more . there is over 10 tons of dry rock in the tank that was seeded to live rock . the tank is concrete with 6x10 viewing windows made out of 2.5 inch thick acrylic .the filtration consists of two 24 inch diameter by eight foot tall skimmers , two sand filters , heat exchanger , sumps and calcium reactor . I designed and built all of the filtration for the system .

The control system is a custom programed PLC with two touch screen displays , one upstairs by th etank and one down stairs in the filter room . ervey aspect of the system is automated except for feeding . there are sensors for water level , flow rate , PH , ORP, humidity and pressure .

There are 7 main pumps on the system and two automatic back up pumps . there are 22 electrically actuated ball valves on the system that are controller by the controller for various uses . the main flow is done by a 300 gallon surge tank that sits on the second floor of the house . it dumps through six inch pipe every 2 minutes . the controller automatically switches which side it will dump on in the tank to give a random flow pattern .

Water is made with a 10,000 gallon a day Ro system with a continuous Di system to polish the water . I also have 32 kw back up generator for those bad days . I dive the tank once a week to clean and plat corals .

I will be posting many pictures so please bare with me . I have kept most of this on my face book page but I think its a good time to share it now . my tank has appeared on Tv shows on the home and garden channel and a few others , it has also been on the news and had a mini documentary done on it .
There are many videos on my face book page to see , I am not sure how to post them here yet . feel free to ask me anything you would like and I hope you enjoy what I have built , remember I am just a hobbyist just like you who started with a 90 gallon tank and has killed everything 5o times over so please dont put me on a pedestal and feel free to ask anything you would like to know .

Bill we are so thrilled to have you here at R2R and sharing your amazing ocean that you have in your house! Can't wait for more photos!!

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0.o That tank is amazing, thank you for posting it!!!

Brad Syphus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what is more impressive than Bill's tank, is Bill himself! Everything Bill does he does with his own two hands. Built the whole system himself. That's mind boggling . I applaud and respect you deeply Bill.

numsie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen your videos before and was amazed. I live in the Chicago area, do you allow visitors? I can't wait to see more, thanks for sharing Bill.

OP
OP
Pigpen

Pigpen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2597.jpg
IMG_2599.jpg
IMG_2600.jpg
IMG_2601.jpg
IMG_2602.jpg
IMG_2603.jpg

IMG_2597.jpg

IMG_2599.jpg

IMG_2600.jpg

IMG_2601.jpg

IMG_2602.jpg

IMG_2603.jpg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 52.2%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 69 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.7%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back