OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... Sad news, again. Not sure of my parasite, but I've lost a slough of fish! My R.I.P. list consist of my orange shoulder and chevron tangs, potter's and yellow coris wrasses, and a neon goby. Whatever it may have been has wiped out the above list in 2 days flat. All were fat and happy, acting normal and feeding like no tomorrow. If I took a guess, I'm leaning on stray voltage (even though I have a grounding probe), but I haven't confirmed yet. Lucky enough, I was able to get my 2 Picasso clowns and my black tang out and now in the 55 qt I set up and hoping all stays OK with them. My 2 nems seem fine as well as 2 clams and some lps and softies.

All this on top of a loss of all but 2 sps due to a alk swing around 1-2 weeks ago.

Tonight I'm siphoning the TE substrate, scraping all coraline off the sides, then taking each rock out for scrubbing. A cyano bloom hit during the alk swing and switch to LEDs, and playing detective in the loss of my fish.

Sometimes I question the move from my 125 (things were A+) to 240. Only time will tell.

Country Boy using tapatalk on his EVO

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep your head up man, you'll figure it out. How's the potty training going. Im about 50/50 with my little man, he knows the routine but he's just to lazy to get in there now. He'll be 3 this month.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep your head up man, you'll figure it out. How's the potty training going. Im about 50/50 with my little man, he knows the routine but he's just to lazy to get in there now. He'll be 3 this month.

My daughter (Arabella) will be 3 next month and potty training ain't going anywhere but backwards. She refuses to go into the bathroom reguardless of prizes that we offer her. The more we try, the more she refuses. I'm convinced that she is the boy I always wanted<<< she'll be ready we she's ready or when she says so!! I love her reguardless, LOL.

My head is up and I appreciate it. I'll keep tearing things apart slowly until I find my issue. Thanks Brett.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, almost a week into it and things have been good so far in qt and the fishless 240. Kept the LEDs off for 2 days and cyano and dinos have already been reduced in half. I'm sure the lack of the LEDs and nutrients (feeding the fish) was a big assistant.

Just because I'm addicted to this hobby and the beauty of it, I took another chance at a red sea regal from a sponsor that used to be here, WTFragit.com. After Wan (a awesome guy to communicate with, email and phone) advised me he had a red sea regal that had been in qt for him close to a month and was eating frozen mysis and pellets. I couldn't resist after he sent pictures and videos of it eating. Yesterday the regal came in and within the first hour after a 2 hour drip to the qt, I couldn't fill the regal up!!! He ate frozen mysis and garlic enriched brine like no tomorrow on both feedings. I couldn't be more pleased and happy with this beautiful regal, it's quality, and the time spent by Wan @ WTFragit. Here's a teaser pic from wan and a quick shot I took while the regal checked me out during drip.
42576e9e-f303-765e.jpg

42576e9e-f317-32ac.jpg

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Purchased a BRS RODI unit with a dual TDS meter and pressure gauge installed (75GPD) to replace my old, outdated unit that wasn't even something I should mention. Never checking my TDS before, I almost fell out when I seen I had 624 coming into the unit!!!! WOW! Something i should have purchased a bit ago to get up to the standards, but I kinda was dragging my feet... and if your reading this part and are thinking "should I", YES YOU SHOULD!! Going from 624 to 0 is awesome!! I wasn't 100% sure if a booster pump was needed, but found out today with my well putting out different pressure, a booster is needed. I filled a 5g bucket in 3 hrs, so a booster is on the way.

All the fish in the QT are doing great, but my female clown seems to possibly have some spots coming up, so everyone is going hypo just in case (I'm pretty sure it's ICH). The regal is still eating like a champ on both feedings and was eating enriched flake yesterday. The regal and black tang seem to have came to be semi buddies so far, but the black tang has always been kinda a push over.

The DT still has a FW pond look to it as I reaquascape it and scrub evreything down. The 2 sps that I have left started showing signs of recovery over the last 2 days with very little PE. This past weekend, they had zero PE, so it's a start. The ALK is coming back to the levels I happy with too. More work coming before I'll upload pics though.

Last edited:

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new Regal!!!

-M&T

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my monster battle right now. Hopefully tonight I'll scrub most away, wc and wc, plus really scape everything.Sorry, but all pics with LEDs and camera phone.

y7y3y3yg.jpg

a5e9a5ub.jpg

8u9aru2u.jpg

7eda9a2e.jpg

ha4e4yze.jpg

sademy7e.jpg

At least my fish are in qt. Fat-n-happy, eating like crazy. Here's random shots, regal stealing the camera shots and my black tang hiding (still a bit shy even as long as I've had him), plus the picassos.
y6yme6up.jpg

juve5u5y.jpg

epa4ujuv.jpg

he7esuda.jpg

ememyhy6.jpg

Figure I'd upload theses too. My DIY canopy that I haven't skinned yet.
a7yme6a3.jpg

agu2egep.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is that hair algae?

Also glad to hear the fish are doing well!

jdpiii3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the Regal! Florida water it terrible, wait until you see what that sediment filter looks like after a few hundred gallons. Keep a fresh set of filters on hand for quick replacement, and back flush the RO membrane every 3-6 months.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the Regal! Florida water it terrible, wait until you see what that sediment filter looks like after a few hundred gallons. Keep a fresh set of filters on hand for quick replacement, and back flush the RO membrane every 3-6 months.

Funny you say that. I'm born n bred here in SW FL and have always had well water. Well, my well water reads 550+ on my dual inline tds meter on the rodi and just 90 gallons so far made on my 75 gpd system and di resin has already changed colors!!

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that hair algae?

Also glad to hear the fish are doing well!

Haven't completely confirmed 100% yet, but with some areas in the 3+ inch stalks, I'm leaning on that. Just thanking the man above it's only on the back and sides of the DT and not the rocks (so far).

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worked on the 240 today trying to get everything back in check.

How's this for some HA???
ajy8esy3.jpg

Some straightened up aquascape (not sure if i like it yet, please voice your. 02 if you'd do it different and how).
5ezu2a6e.jpg

tuqynuty.jpg

u8a4u7ag.jpg

jetu2a3y.jpg

y8uju9az.jpg

ehe8a6u9.jpg

4udu8ytu.jpg

More of my qt guys. My fat regal, eating 1/4 sheet of nori along with at least a cube size chunk of pe mysis, enriched brine or pellets.
yrypeqym.jpg

equne7u2.jpg
eha8e4az.jpg

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some more random shots of QT while I raise the salinity (taking my time).
5ume9yne.jpg

epaqysar.jpg

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered my maculiceps tang today. She'll be here on Tuesday. Already received the video of her eating flakes!!

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a few quick shots. I just returned the black tang and 2 picassos back in the DT along with the regal angel, since 10ish weeks ago I started hypo (yeah, I took my time returning them, but it was worth it).

We're home!!!
mahenepa.jpg

enevepe3.jpg

I'm not ready for a close up yet!
2a6e5uqa.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome fish!

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see the Regal is doing well!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back