Saltgator's 240 Build

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, like the thread heading states, I'm now in the ownership of a 240 (96x24x24) acrylic tank!!!! This is a tank I've only dreamed of, and after I advised the wife that I would combine ALL my systems into this one (125 Mixed reef, 120 FOWLR, 29 Bio), she said go for it. :xd: So, $850 later, the previous owner decided to deliver it! Whether or not this was a good price, I couldn't pass it up. The sytem has a center overflow w/ 2 inch drains, and 6 additional holes (1" to 1.5") for a closed loop system. The stand is a diy made from multiple 2x4's and 2x6's. Very strong build and weighs as much as the tank!

Here is what I start working on as of now to get this ready to swap my 125 over:
...the black back is bubbling in some spots inside the system. Kinda looks like old tint on a car window. Not sure of why, but any ideas?
...the front panel has fine (and I mean fine) scratches and swirls. It appears that these were made from a glass magnet cleaner. Polishing (need ANY input)
...Plumbing. Not sure if I'm leaning towards a closed loop system to go along with the sump pump yet. All this will lead to the 55 sump.
...buying new substrate. Leaning towards reef flakes, but just want something that will be nice and not become a sand storm.
...finally switching over all live stock and rock.Hoping to make this my sps, tang, and wrasse system.

More will follow as I continue. Enjoy the quick phone pic I snapped prior to sun down.

Day 1. Delivery.jpg

Unicorrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whoa, whatta huge acrylic tank
goodluck with this one! :bigsmile:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sweet! Can't wait to see it GROW!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unicorrs welcome to R2R!

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to seeing your progress Saltgator!

For what it's worth, we are using Tropic Eden Reef Flakes and Miniflakes and are really pleased with them both. We've tried Caribsea Special Grade as well, but it was just too fine for our closed loop.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to seeing your progress Saltgator!

For what it's worth, we are using Tropic Eden Reef Flakes and Miniflakes and are really pleased with them both. We've tried Caribsea Special Grade as well, but it was just too fine for our closed loop.

Good deal on the Tropic eden. I used bulk dry sand from Marco in my 125 and all I can say is sand all over. My fault, but flow is what I like. BTW, in your 300, where were you able to obtain that much Tropic eden? I have seen the prices here and there, but looking for a 3-4 inch bed. Thanks

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be hard to find... we purchased ours thru Premium Aquatics.

and I hear you on the bulk dry sand as we had quite a sandstorm ourselves w/the special grade, LOL.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: This tank has fine swirl/scratches that are not able to be felt, but can be seen. The previous owner sanded the inner and outer down, but I believe never polished it. I believe the polishing would take the fine swirl marks out. What you opinion on taking these out and what polish? Thanks

Also, why would the black back be bubbling inside the tank and how should I go about repairing this?

Thanks

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure on how to make the repairs. Maybe shoot Troylee a PM and ask him?

Looking forward to seeing this thing wet!

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... After months of sorting things out, yesterday I finally put the 240 up n running. Sorry not the best pics, I was beat from heavy, heavy lifting and these are with the phone camera.

6c6af855-bb49-0a9d.jpg
6c6af855-bb61-347c.jpg
6c6af855-bb8c-594e.jpg
6c6af855-bbc0-3cbf.jpg
6c6af855-bc05-7402.jpg
6c6af855-bc38-e3b5.jpg
6c6af855-bc5e-da93.jpg

Country boy using tapatalk from Evo 4g

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks skinz! Yeah should be soon. Right now I'm battling a slow leaking bulkhead. Thank goodness, no losses during move, just a couple new frags not planned and some frags that need to reglued.

Country boy using tapatalk from Evo 4g

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Decided to try some scaping, so... what ya think? Things are coming back to normal (moving stressed EVERYTHING out, no matter how slow and careful I was). All corals are good and seeming to adjust quite well to their placement. Don't mind the DIY frag rack, waiting there while my 29 bio cube cycles for a frag tank. Getting use to the new tank is taking it's sweet time for me. The 250 MHs (3) are 8 inches above the water, yet the tank seems dim and under lit. IDK!!! :squigglemouth: 250's should be fine with a depth of 24 inches . Sorry for the not so great pics, camera phone.

IMAG0255.jpg
IMAG0256.jpg
IMAG0258.jpg
IMAG0259.jpg
IMAG0257.jpg

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update: When it rains, it pours! Tank of my dreams, fighting leaking bulkheads (old gaskets to new ones do wonders), tangs getting ick!:crossedlips:!!! All eat well and haven't started scratching, but instead of try to catch them and stress them more, I sent the wife by the LFS and had her pick up a cleaner shrimp and a cleaner wrasse. Guess I'm gonna hit the local forum for a uv too. This completely flipped my plans this weekend. Spoke with a guy in Tampa and was going to get a yellow belly regal angel that was eating pellets and had been QT'd for 3 weeks!!! Had to break down and call him to reschedule (just wonderful)! I look out for the best intrest of the regal in this situation. Anyways, heres another pic from the update above and the drip line going to the cleaner shrimp and the cleaner wrasse. If my camera phone lets me, I'll take another pic of the wrasse. Nice lime green head! Thanks guys

IMAG0260.jpg
IMAG0261.jpg

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love your rockwork. Good to hear you got the leaky bulkhead fixed. Sorry to hear about the ich outbreak and kudo's to you for holding off on adding the Regal!

Keep the pics coming... :bigsmile:

Back