Luckys 300gln AGE build coming soon!!!!!!

ATI PM T5s or Metal Halide???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lsingh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luckys 300gln AGE build..FULL TANK SHOT

i am going big!!!!!!:bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:
cant believe wifey gave me a green signal on this ....i been wanting to do this from quite some time and finally the time has come....
i am officially picking uo the tank tomorrow...my u haul truck is booked and tomorrow is the day......
tank specs r going to be
72" x 30" x 24" Custom AGE Starphire - Eurobraced only, no centers...
and the sump is around 40" long
has nice stand and canopy....
and buddy steve aka teeb out here local is hooking me up with pretty much all the equipment i need
tunze lrg wave box
Reeflo Dart
Deltec AP851 Skimmer
Deltec FR509 Reactor and ext ext...

i will hve some more equipment from my breakdown that i'll be using as well
that is another
tunze lrg wave box
mp 40 es
LMIII with two slave modules
2x300 Wtt heater
Apex with wxm and conductivity module
ext ext...

yesterday picked up a chiller here locally
delta star aqualogic inline 3/4hp..
this chiller is beast...i mean really big so this will get housed outside......

i hve been in a hobby from last 5 years and always been a big fan and collector of rare lps and sexy mike has played a gud role in this addiction..but i guess now its time for me to move to sps world and my dream of collecting all the rare wrasses i could possibly fit in this tank....
wanted to bare bottom right now but dnt know how this will work with wrasses so will see later down the road as my build starts...
will hve a refugium and considering a very simple and small aquascape with somewhat of around 150lbs of rocks or maybe a little more...
i will stack the rock in three different islands and keep is low to maximum height of maybe 15"from the bottom in this way lots and lots of room for the frags to grow and fishes to swim..
will hve some sand and algae for my copepods population in my refugium..
since so far i am considering a bare bottom tank and
as if now i am planning to use both of those wave boxes in this tank along with mp40 and may even consider a mp60 down the the road...
theres a guy here locally selling a tunze 6100 thinking about getting that so i dnt hve to get mp60??!!!

i know for sure that later down the road i am gne hve to sure go for high capacity skimmer .......

right now i am still debating and would like to get thoughts on this build and light.....Ati 10x80 t5s or MH.....
any other thoughts on BB and or anything else would appreciate...

Last edited:

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations! Good luck with your build and looking forward to seeing your progress.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome bro!! Make sure you take us through the entire process and with pics! LOL!

OP
OP
lsingh

lsingh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks ....I will post pics up soon as I start!!!!
Any thoughts on me going BB??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gfox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your thought on going BB?I prefer the looks of sand i think it makes the tank brighter.By wanting Wrasses i would think they would need sand to thrive in the tank.Congrats on the new tank great size and i am jealous

OP
OP
lsingh

lsingh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright guys tank is here and this sucker is heavy... I mean it is beast...
AGE makes heavy tanks...
photo-68.jpg

OP
OP
lsingh

lsingh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another update lights hve been ordered and after a long discussion me and nick came up with this plan...
photo-70.jpg

it will be 3x250 MH 14k on lumen bright reflectors surrounded by 12x39wtt 36"T5 ATI bulbs!!!

OP
OP
lsingh

lsingh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my retrofit kits for MH and t5s will be in this week...
i did choose to go with phoenix 14k bulbs instead of 20k but how so ever need some advice on which t5s bulbs to order to supplement and to get better colors

Zombie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those T5s are going to cost a lot of money every six or more months when you change them out.
I would look at DIY leds or ReefBrite high output leds for your supplement lighting.
You may only need three Reef Brites instead of all the T5s.
It will save you money and time in the long run. You would only have to change your halides instead of all the bulbs.

6 or 7 Reef Brites would do the whole tank without halides but would be A LOT of money up front.

On my 250 I went with three Reef Brites and two 400 watt halides and with the three Reef Brites on you have to look to see if the halides are on or not. They are that bright. The color is amazing and it doesn't have that LED look. I have one actinic and two 50/50s. With all the other lights out and just the one actinic on in the back of the tank, the entire tank lights up as though I have three or four actinic t5s over the tank.

I am using the XHOs ReefBrite XHO LED | ReefBrite.com

Last edited:
OP
OP
lsingh

lsingh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well today it seems like all over again...
My lights r in and after taking some measurements we figured that the reflectors will be only 4 to 5 " away from the water and with these strong halides it's gne cook some serious water....
An yea no LEDS for sure !!!
Really dnt what to do or else I go with ATI PM ...
Any one with gud experience with these 80x10 bulbs PM before I spend money on them ...????

sexycorals

Bringing Sexy BACK!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yessssssss!!!!! T5!!!!!!!!!! those are Stronggggggggg start them up highghhhh!!!!
Well today it seems like all over again...
My lights r in and after taking some measurements we figured that the reflectors will be only 4 to 5 " away from the water and with these strong halides it's gne cook some serious water....
An yea no LEDS for sure !!!
Really dnt what to do or else I go with ATI PM ...
Any one with gud experience with these 80x10 bulbs PM before I spend money on them ...????

zero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats...

I need to talk to Steve here to hooking me up with a tank like that. I've been looking for a tank that size for a while now.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not go for leds? Much better alternative, they are for sure more powerful than mh, and save a ton in the long run. why replace bulbs once a year when you can wait a dozen years, then have them be 30% dimmer? Either way, looks like a great build, and 4-5" above the water will fry some corals for sure.

OP
OP
lsingh

lsingh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried LEDs for 3 months and had my worst experience ... Every chalice that I had either shrink or discolored ..
My whole live stock is in my holding tank right now under 2x150MH and I can see the color has started to come back.....
I am not saying led is a bad technology but they didn't do gud for me

OP
OP
lsingh

lsingh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it indeed it is going to be t5 should I go with 8x80 or 10x80

OP
OP
lsingh

lsingh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Talked with reef geek and they said they were gne discontinued the ati pm fixtures bc they were selling very well...
So again back to basics that is the old drawing MH...
Buddy nick here local came with plan where he will master fit the MH by cutting three and make a nice rack and let MH sit on the canopy so the reflectors r atleast 10 to 12 " away from the water and get gud spread...!!!
photo-75.jpg

Still a lot work to do but should be dne in few days...
Started getting my stuff in...got about 350 lbs of tropic Eden reef flakes so I get a nice 4" sand bed and picked some salt aswell
photo-74.jpg

Also got about 250lbs of dry rock in aswell
photo-71.jpg

OP
OP
lsingh

lsingh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my 2x mp60 in last weekend but after talking to nick at elegant reef figured it will too strong spot flow in the tank...
So now i'll be using a wave box and tunze 7905 from my two previous breakdowns and plus ordered a 6155 for additional flow to cover the tank.....
I hve used tunze before and love em .. Maybe later down the road will buy a 7095 controller and get some nice wave action in my tank ....
My floor is almost ready besides wife is getting a paint job dnt which is delaying my this project ...
Hopefully I'll atleast hve this room finish by today and start moving the tank process on Wednesday ..

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back