Help from former Radium users

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm contemplating making the switch to LEDs and have a few questions for people that used to use Radium 250w bulbs.

1.) If operarting costs were the same in hindsdight would you still have made the switch?

2.) Do you keep primarily SPS?

3.) What LED fixture did you go with?

4.) How long ago did you make the switch?

5.) What are your overall impressions of your coral colors with the radiums vs. LEDs? In particular I'm interested in sps color.

Thanks for any feedback in advance!

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ike

I switched about 6 years ago and could not be happier. My SPS and Red Carpet are doing great.

The coral colour is better with this mix of LEDs which has a close look to the 400 watt Radium

24 Cree XT-E Royal Blue
6 Cree XP-E Blue
15 Cree XT-E Cool White (7.5K Bin)

These driven at 700mA use only 118 watts and with optics produce 460PAR. A 400 watt Radium w Reflux reflector gave me 434 PAR

To get the best colour out of your SPS make sure your LEDs are the right Bin.

I went the DIY route but there are factory fixtures with a similar mix of LEDs

Bill

Nwest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. yes I would have many other factors other than the operating costs.
2. yes mainly sps and palys
3. I went with ecotech Radions
4. 4 months
5. Surprisingly the color is still very good and maybe even better in some cases. You do have to start off slow and and just jump right into it. I started all my coral on the sand bed and the light at 40% and then ever week went up 10%. I stopped at 65% and seem to of found the magic number for my tank. Nothing ever got burned or died an everything seems to be very happy.

Just have to remember its totally different and might have to move some coral around to find their happy spot again.

OP
OP
Ike

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! More experiences are very much appreciated...

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. yes I would have many other factors other than the operating costs.
2. yes mainly sps and palys
3. I went with ecotech Radions
4. 4 months
5. Surprisingly the color is still very good and maybe even better in some cases. You do have to start off slow and and just jump right into it. I started all my coral on the sand bed and the light at 40% and then ever week went up 10%. I stopped at 65% and seem to of found the magic number for my tank. Nothing ever got burned or died an everything seems to be very happy.

Just have to remember its totally different and might have to move some coral around to find their happy spot again.

Nwest is 100% right.

LEDs are spectrum specific. The XT-E Royal Blue targets photosynthesis. And is very representative of the spectrum they receive at 30 feet. Once acclimated most corals grow better but you will have to ramp up and yes sometimes move corals to find their happy spot.

Bill

OP
OP
Ike

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump... would have thought there would be a lot of people that made this switch

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently switched from leds back to metal halides, 250w radiums to be exact. While I loved my radion leds and won't ever talk bad on them because they did a great job with color and growth, but I am blown away by the difference the radiums have made in the month since I switched. Sps is encrusting so much faster and colors are popping not only from sps, but my LPS as well.

I know you are looking for ppl that run radiums and want to switch to led, but I figured a view from the other end would suffice haha

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ike

I switched about 6 years ago and could not be happier. My SPS and Red Carpet are doing great.

The coral colour is better with this mix of LEDs which has a close look to the 400 watt Radium

24 Cree XT-E Royal Blue
6 Cree XP-E Blue
15 Cree XT-E Cool White (7.5K Bin)

These driven at 700mA use only 118 watts and with optics produce 460PAR. A 400 watt Radium w Reflux reflector gave me 434 PAR

To get the best colour out of your SPS make sure your LEDs are the right Bin.

I went the DIY route but there are factory fixtures with a similar mix of LEDs

Bill

Do you have a tank thread or pictures?

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a tank thread or pictures?

236c88c9-ce4d-47bd-abcd-4b38c043a9ec_zps3191c525.jpg

DSCN0429_zpseea1e901.jpg

My Two Personal Tanks

tank2013-2_zpse21989db.jpg

tank2013-1_zpsab1b0481.jpg

ft2013_zpsf5f116b3.jpg

Local customer SPS Reef using the Radium Mix with a couple Reds Greens and UV added.

Bill

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the pictures of your customers Bill.................some look like combinations of other brands like Kessels, ect.

I was interested in seeing your 6 year old SPS dominated tank with your Red Carpet & just blue & white LEds you mention.

I see a carpet in one picture but it's softy dominated?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm contemplating making the switch to LEDs and have a few questions for people that used to use Radium 250w bulbs.

1.) If operarting costs were the same in hindsdight would you still have made the switch?

Cost would have to be no object to switch back. It's a huge, huge difference.

For the money I would spend on bulbs and electricity for a year, I could set up a a whole new nano tank OR buy a whole new DIY LED rig -- EVERY YEAR.

My DIY fixture that replaced my Radium setup cost between $90 and $110 to set up.

An absolute no-brainer from this angle - especially if you're going to do DIY. The value proposition isn't nearly as extreme with commercial fixtures, but it's still there. (Maybe with exception for the most expensive fixtures...not sure when the payback happens on them.)

2.) Do you keep primarily SPS?

Yes.

3.) What LED fixture did you go with?

First, Ecoxotic Panorama strips. Later, 3-watt GU10 bulbs in a DIY. (Have made a few of these fixtures over the years.) Finally, I added a Maxspect Razor.

4.) How long ago did you make the switch?

Long enough that the Panoramas have long since burned up and are completely out of service. ;)

Maybe 4-5 years'ish? Not positive. Seems like a long time now.

5.) What are your overall impressions of your coral colors with the radiums vs. LEDs? In particular I'm interested in sps color.

I can't say there was no difference...particularly on the blue+white GU10's...but it's minor, IMO. Especially if you're willing to consider the all the other advantages to LED at the same time. Most folks overstate the difference...again my IMO. I also don't care for the fake-looking greens, purples and reds some folks have in their LED's....gives the whole tank a fake look, IMO. Crayola Reef. ;) ;) Very similar to what I remember seeing some folks do with T5 fixtures....yuk. ;) Just stating all this for perspective, so you know how I look at things. To each their own!

Blue+white LED's look closer to Radium output than Crayola lights, IMO. The Razor does look nicer and has only a slightly exotic mix of LED's....which is why I wanted to try it....UV is the only thing "unusual". Other than UV, it's basically blue and white. An improvement to the GU10's color, but only slight...and if you were only a bit more dedicated to DIY than I am, it wouldn't be too hard to get some custom bulbs with the Razor blend of colors....or whatever other blend you might want.

Hope this helps!

-Matt

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the pictures of your customers Bill.................some look like combinations of other brands like Kessels, ect.

I was interested in seeing your 6 year old SPS dominated tank with your Red Carpet & just blue & white LEds you mention.

I see a carpet in one picture but it's softy dominated?

It started out as a mixed Softie LPS Tank. The Red Carpet is the first pic to the right. Over the years the softies took over and I donated the LPS. One piece we donated to the Shedd Aquarium barley fit into a 200gal salt bucket.

[video=youtube_share;bs6aOghqXgg]http://youtu.be/bs6aOghqXgg[/video]

Our SPS Tank crashed last summer during a scuba diving trip. The person watching the tank did not notice the RO topoff overflowing the sump in the sump room. This was heartbreaking as some of the colonies were over 12" and rather expensive.

The reason for two setups was just in case and ease of maintenance. We simply changed out 100 gal of water in the SPS Tank to the Softie tank which left only minimal maintenance to the larger tank.

As far as a Royal Blue, Blue, & Cool White only combo I'm convinced its the most natural spectrum if you choose the right Cree Bins. growth cannot be contested.

I've experimented with more CRI and this led to our new line of fixtures. Adding the flexibility of complete colour control has some advantages in adjusting the growth and looks of SPS Colonies.

Bill

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back