The Big LED poll

Which brand LEDs do you prefer or currently using?

• Aqua Illumination

Votes: 58 10.5%
  • Acan Lighting

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • ATI LED Powermodule

Votes: 6 1.1%
  • Ecotech Marine

Votes: 105 19.0%
  • Ecoxotic LED Lighting

Votes: 12 2.2%
  • Giesemann LED Lighting

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • JBJ LED Lighting

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Innovative Marine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maxspect LED Lighting

Votes: 42 7.6%
  • Kessil LED Lighting

Votes: 70 12.7%
  • Vertex

Votes: 8 1.4%
  • Reef Brite LED

Votes: 11 2.0%
  • Orphek Aquarium LED

Votes: 11 2.0%
  • GHL Mitras LED

Votes: 5 0.9%
  • DIY

Votes: 69 12.5%
  • Pacific Sun

Votes: 9 1.6%
  • Reef Radiance

Votes: 41 7.4%
  • OceanRevive

Votes: 20 3.6%
  • Reef Breeders

Votes: 44 8.0%
  • EverGrow

Votes: 32 5.8%
  • Apollo

Votes: 7 1.3%

• Total voters

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I have already figured out what I want to do with my tax return, but I'm still lost as to which brand to choose, there's so many great LED fixtures out. People seem to have equal success with most of the popular brands out today. Simply pick which brand/type leds you prefer or currently running over your tank, include a pic if you like. Thanks!

Last edited:

duke4130

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did use the ecotech radion since they came out and was a firm believer in them... I went to t5's and then back to LEDs. I ended up getting the AI Hydra. My corals and I couldn't be happier....lol... I would recommend that light to anyone

OP
OP
Reefltx

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did use the ecotech radion since they came out and was a firm believer in them... I went to t5's and then back to LEDs. I ended up getting the AI Hydra. My corals and I couldn't be happier....lol... I would recommend that light to anyone

After seeing the Al Hydra in person, it's become one of my top choices. Also, I forgot to add a few other brands into the poll, I guess it's too late to edit?

duke4130

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After seeing the Al Hydra in person, it's become one of my top choices. Also, I forgot to add a few other brands into the poll, I guess it's too late to edit?

I like the spectrum and over all color it puts out... You can dial it in a lot more than the radion also

Herefishyfishy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are also many live fish stores with their own brand and design of China manufactured units.
I have a set of three controllable units in my 180 that were purchased in the Seattle area from a store. They work great!

Tattoolew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess in order to answer the question the best you need know if you are going to be using a controller and budget.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DIY all the way Baby! Because that's the way I roll...lol

If I were to purchase lighting though would more than likely choose Reef Radiance or Reef LED Lighting in that order, great fixtures for the money and could easily rewire for control with an Apex.

My DIY when first setup, I built it on a welded aluminum framework/heatsink = 2nd pic

It has six front to back linear circuits creating a true East-to-West Solar lighting cycle and a 7th Noonday circuit of twelve Cree XM-L CW's. All hooked up to my Apex and ran on a custom profile setting along with a Neptune Lunar Module and five LED Moonlights on an active Lunar cycle.

Ramping up one circuit at a time, this is 1st on and 2nd Ramping up

At end of day 1st Off and 2nd Ramping Down

Only 6th On while 5th is Ramping Down

Way more complicated than necessary but made it a much more interesting project and unique. This was around $1300 complete with Apex and a mix of Cree, Luxeon and BridgeLux emitters driven on Mean Well ELN-60-48D

Cheers, Todd

Fengxzhang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have apollo reef LEDs. They work great and at a great price.

a2a6y5uj.jpg

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered (2) OceanRevive Arctic S026's today. There were a lot of really good reviews on the forums, plus the price was great. Hoping I made the right choice.

OP
OP
Reefltx

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Radiance...should be on the Poll.

Yes, that's one of the few that I forgot to add. Unfortunately it's too late to add it to the poll I think.

I guess in order to answer the question the best you need know if you are going to be using a controller and budget.

I have a Apex controller and not too worried about the budget since my tank is only 60g.

ATI LED but that is mostly because of the effects of T5's. Not an LED fan.

I've been running ati 6bulb fixture for nearly 3yrs now. It's time for a change, soo many people are having great success with LEDs it's undeniable. I recently had a chance to visit a few local reefers most running all LEDs on SPS dominant tanks and I was quite impressed. The color was all there, the pop was even more amazing.

Last edited:

RiverRat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It didn't make the poll but I am currently using the pacific sun hyperion s. I love the light, it has awesome features, i have seen excellent growth (lps, softies, zoa/paly do wonderful....I don't keep sps so I can't comment those). Some of the Led lamps are available with T5 too. It can get pricey, but I love it.

fletch999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used have Acan LED, Use Reefbreeders now(not in Your poll). Best decision ever.....................................................................................Have an Acan for sale. Pm me

Last edited:

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I tried a Evergrow model over my 50 and wasn't real happy with it so I went back to my ATI T5 fixture.
Then I won a gen 1 Radion at my lfs raffle and put that over my 50.
Once I figured out how to use the software, I liked it so much that I bought 3 more gen 1 Radions for my 240.

Back