Radion vs. Hydra 52

Which light would you suggest?

• Total voters

frankm88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to upgrade my lighting but cant seem to make up my mind. My brother in law has the hydra 52 and his tank looks awesome. I think the lights have just about the same features What do you guys think is a better choice in the long run?

cgomez87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If its a regular radion or a hydra 52 I would go with the hydra but if it was a radion pro or a hydra 52 I would go with the radion pro I've red better outcomes with the radion pro

reeffirstaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three (3) Radions over my 150 gallon reef, and a Hydra 52 over my frag tank. Both lights are very nice, and honestly, I was quite impressed with the Hydra, especially for the price. My personal opinion leans toward the Radions. The software is better and overall they just have an edge on the Hydra. In reality, you will be satisfied with either fixture.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have never seen the Hydra so I can't comment on them, but I do have 4 Radions and I think they are perfect for me.
I have 3 gen 1's and a gen1 upgraded to a gen 3. I vote Radions. Whether you need the Pro or the gen 3 is up to you.

bigfoot86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both nights are nice, but just priced heavy due to all the unneeded bells and whistles. Can have just as much success with cheaper lights.

OP
OP
frankm88

frankm88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like all the bells and whistles which is why i narrowed it down to the 2 choices. I didnt see much difference in the gen3 to the gen3 pro i think there was an extra yellow or something like that.

SloppyJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are we voting on? Performance? If so, they're really close. But I went radion g3 pro because of the vortech control.

SloppyJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need the wireless mp-10's. You control them through ecosmart live. Their reeflink is another way.

SloppyJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries, you can buy the wireless module and install it in your controller.....if you decide to get the radion :)

watdachuck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what my Radion is putting out at 45% intensity on Radiant Color mode...or at least this is what I am told...

These things are pretty powerful, I am just ramping mine up at the moment.

Ecotech Lighting.jpg

DSP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three (3) Radions over my 150 gallon reef, and a Hydra 52 over my frag tank. Both lights are very nice, and honestly, I was quite impressed with the Hydra, especially for the price. My personal opinion leans toward the Radions. The software is better and overall they just have an edge on the Hydra. In reality, you will be satisfied with either fixture.

+1 another vote for Radion pro here!

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I went over to another reefers house Saturday and he had 4 gen 2 Pro's that looked pretty awesome. But what I was impressed with was the reeflink wireless controller he had. He showed me how he can control the lights with his smart phone.

OP
OP
frankm88

frankm88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
funny how things work...last night i was cleaning up around my tank and i pushed the transformer for my light behind my stand with my foot and it went BOOM. I know the transformer shouldnt be on the floor in the first place but i didnt see any water on the floor so i have no idea what happened...anyhow now i really do need a light!

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
funny how things work...last night i was cleaning up around my tank and i pushed the transformer for my light behind my stand with my foot and it went BOOM. I know the transformer shouldnt be on the floor in the first place but i didnt see any water on the floor so i have no idea what happened...anyhow now i really do need a light!

I hate it when things happen like that.

The upside, is there is a new light fixture in your immediate future. :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back