So I'm wanting to make my own led lights...

booth2010

Newb but eager to learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am wanting to make my own LED lights for my 29g marineland aquarium (30/12/18). I want to keep spa some lps, a clam and some zoas. The only problem is I have no idea were to start, any and all advice and tips are welcome.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being an 'AVID' DIYer I'd still say its hard to beat a RR DM-155 and for just $20 you can customize the LED selection a bit if you want. If it were mine I'd substitute 1 of the 3 Reds (center one) with Violet and substitute one the 450nm RB's on either side of the Amber for another Violet giving 6 total.

Cheers, Todd

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first put together the bulk of emitters for my DIY array I went with both Rapid and Steve's to get the mix I was looking for. The one major factor in building your own is to incorporate whatever design aspects you think is best for your particular needs. An example of this I recently used the Seneye meter to measure PAR and Spectral output of my design to my Reef and was somewhat surprised at the consistency of the readings throughout the whole tank. The far majority of my tank measures between 250 and 350 top to bottom and side to side because of the spread of my LED's over nearly the entire surface. A mix of 108 3w LED's spread out approximately 54" x 20" over a 60" x 24" aquarium. I do not have any hot spots or weakly lit areas like you get with traditional LED fixtures or even MH's, very similar light spread as you would get with T5's. You can see my LED configuration starting page 1 post #7 on my build thread off link in my signature below for reference. I've made a few revisions and or upgraded some emitters and added Violets over past year or so but the functioning East-to-West Solar schedule and Lunar schedule still as originally setup.

Cheers, Todd

knetz31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you I would go with cree led's for sure. I can tell you that I went with a bridglux diy fixture when people weren't sure of leds. I have an sps tank so its fine for growth and survival of coral, but in retrospect I would go back and get crees with as much color as possible. So, my recommendation is to go with the aurora puck that is dimmable and control it with something like the typhon controller.

OP
OP
booth2010

booth2010

Newb but eager to learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still doing research haven't bought anything yet. Heck I might build a 5 bulb t5 ho setup seems easier

Last edited by a moderator:

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Choose your LEDs well. There are over 28 different colour Bins of the Cree Cool White and then again several intensity Bins.

The warmer colour bins have a yellow tint which you dont want as you will have to compensate with more Blue and Royal Blue.

First decide how you want to control your LEDs this gives you an advantage over T5 as you can dim them to create a natural sunrise and sunset.

Once you have your controller then choose the driver. I like the Meanwell LDD Drivers for 5v PWM (Storm or Adurino Controller) or the Inventronics AKA Thompson Research Drivers for 1-10VDC Analog (APEX Controller)

As far as which LED I would stay with top quality Cree or Luxion LEDs. Given their intensity they are a better value than the 3 watt Bridgelux Knockoffs. Their second to top intensity Bins are an excellent value.

As far as which exact mix of LEDs see different builds over different tanks as everyones taste is different or simply copy the Mix from Quality Cree Fixtures. If you play it safe and go with a 6 channel mix you have more flexibility to tune the look for your taste.

Cheers

Bill

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thanks. I'm just trying to see what will be cheaper. To buy an already made led light for 200-300$ or build my own

Most Imports for 200-300 use Knockoff Bridgelux LEDs. Thoes that use the Cree do not specify their bins and in both cases use inexpensive no name drivers.

You can DIY a better fixture less the housing for 100 to 200 less than the top of the line Domestic Fixtures.

There are a lot of specifics and most are personal choice like the Cree XP-E2 620-630nm Red v Osram 660...Just remember the primary grow is 420-460nm Royal Blue.

The human eye and coral notice the difference between 445nm and 460nm Royal Blue. The lower offering more actinic pop.

This hobby is full of cheap options that cost more in the long run.

Do the homework and choose well as lighting is very important to coral health and looks.

Cheers

Bill

Back