This was my fear of going to LED from T5 :(

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was running T5 unit with 2blue+ and 1 Coral+, and Actinic
This was what this rainbow looked like when i bought it almost 2weeks ago it was under T5 in the store

This is it today :(

all the green shifted to kind of an ugly orange and I read this happen to alot of people under LED
I am running a Radion G2 with the G3 cluster upgrade and wide angle lenses.

OP
OP
J

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
they are in a very low light area bottom of tank all the way to the side. I am not the only person this happen to i have read this a number of times and why i was hesitant even buying the acan cause i knew this would happen

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first picture looks like a fresh cut frag. How long did you have it before you switched? Fwiw, my acan did the same thing under t5

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is why I'm looking to supplement my leds with t5s... My acans lose color...everything else is great except for acans...

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told mine was because of 1 bulb being 12k. All of my rainbow acan turn orange or red losing all the green, yellow and purple. Do you know how irritating it is to have 2 Tokyo sunrise acan and they're solid red? Drives me nuts!

OP
OP
J

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had the acans a week before they shifted color. Its only been under a week since i upgraded to the gen 3 cluster hoping maybe the UV/violet LED would help it get its color back to the green.
I was at this LFS over the weekend and the other rainbow frag of the same colony is still its nice green rainbow color in it under the T5 :(

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What bulbs are they using? I have noticed a slight difference in the last month when I swapped the 12k for a pure actinic.... But I'm sure it will take more time. The areas that are shaded on mine will have some of the original color, which leads me to believe its the intensity. I plan on only running all six bulbs for 2 hours a day and only 3 for 8 hours to see if this will change anything. I'm waiting until I move all my acro before I do this.

OP
OP
J

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am going to try an experiment. I am going to move this acan to a completely shaded area to see if colors shift back.

playin gmz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you stated it was your fear, so you already knew, but were willing to take the chance. :))) I think over sometime your acan will show you some true color under your lights.

spsnuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You only had them for two weeks. You could be blaming the lights but in fact it's your water and elements in it. I think that what you have to shift your thoughts too.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You only had them for two weeks. You could be blaming the lights but in fact it's your water and elements in it. I think that what you have to shift your thoughts too.

Ok, what in the water would cause the color shift?

spsnuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of things could shift the color. Iron, potassium, amino acid could even shift color, iodide. Did u buy it from a store or a hobbyist. Try to get a sample of the water and compare it ours and to know 100 % send your water and theirs out to a lab and have them tested.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back