Need LED Advice ASAP! Ecotech Pro vs Echotech vs Hydra 52

PapaDragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need advice fast guys. Just Friday night I found out my Reef Radiance order was not going to work out. So now I'm on the hunt for new lights. Unfortunately the ecotech sale ends tonight so if I want to go that route I need to do it today. I'm ruling out all the "Chinese" manufactured lights and I considered the Maxspect Razor, but I need the ability to control them using my Apex or some other computer controlled way because I have a physical disability that once the lights are hung I can't change the settings myself from the unit. So the two big Dogs in my opinion are either AI or Echotech. My tank is 72x18x28 and I want to keep SPS and LPS corals. For the last three years I've been running 3 250W MH with 8 T5s over it.

Now finally for my questions:

1. What is the difference between the Radion XR30w G3 and
    Radion XR30w G3 Pro? Is it just the additional Yellow LEDs?
  2. How many Radions would I need for good coverage? My guess is three but I can't really tell from the web site.
  3. How many Hydra 52's would I need? In another thread someone recommended two, but from my quick research it looks like three are needed.
  4. Do I need the Reef link? It sounds cool, but I do have a budget and if my Apex can handle it then forget that.
  5. What else am I going to need to order? Hanging kits, Apex cable's or modules, etc?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PapaDragon

PapaDragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too many options! Now the Kessil A360W-E Wide Angle Tuna Blue LED is looking like an option. Maybe 3 of these or 4 of the N version?

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got the A360's and love them. Previously used the AI Vega Colors and could never get them dialed in properly. With the kessils I'm seeing growth on everything and they're easy to set up with the apex. You just need a cable to connect one to the apex base unit and then a cable to daisy chain each of the lights together. 3 would probably work for your tank. You get about 24" of coverage and with an 18" deep tank putting them at the correct hieght you'd get good coverage. Pricing is also a lttle better than both the Radion and Hydra 52's. With the kessil you set the intensity and color % and that's it...no trying to figure out what color combination to use. Depending on your set up they're easy to install. I've got the goose necks on mine (rimless tank with no canopy). I ended up having to get the 90 degree adapter to get the lights positioned at the right height and centered front to back over the tank. You can get everything you need at BRS.

OP
OP
PapaDragon

PapaDragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got the A360's and love them. Previously used the AI Vega Colors and could never get them dialed in properly. With the kessils I'm seeing growth on everything and they're easy to set up with the apex. You just need a cable to connect one to the apex base unit and then a cable to daisy chain each of the lights together. 3 would probably work for your tank. You get about 24" of coverage and with an 18" deep tank putting them at the correct hieght you'd get good coverage. Pricing is also a lttle better than both the Radion and Hydra 52's. With the kessil you set the intensity and color % and that's it...no trying to figure out what color combination to use. Depending on your set up they're easy to install. I've got the goose necks on mine (rimless tank with no canopy). I ended up having to get the 90 degree adapter to get the lights positioned at the right height and centered front to back over the tank. You can get everything you need at BRS.

Thanks Jimbo! My tank is actually 28" deep, but after reading a ton of reviews yesterday and watching every youtube video I could find the Kessil just won hands down. First, from a financial standing the Kessil provides the most bang for your money. It is a full spectrum light with UV and everything, the shimmer is crazy nice, and it is apex ready. Needless to say I ordered them yesterday. Premium Aquatics had the A360WE for $359 which is $40 cheaper than anywhere else I found. Here is what I ordered:

Item Description: Kessil Wide Angle Tuna Blue LED 360W-E
Qty: 3
Price: $359.10

Item Description: Kessil LED Light Pendant Gooseneck Clamp/Mount for A150, A350, and A360
Price: $35.99

Item Description: Kessil A360 Control Cable - Type 1 (Neptune Apex)
Qty: 1
Price: $17.99

Item Description: Kessil A360 Unit Link Cable
Qty: 2

Item Description: Kessil A Series Gooseneck 90° Adapter

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect! You're going to love them. Yeah..the shimmer is amazing.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back