Do you prefer using red, and green leds over warm white leds or the other way around and why?

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently posted a thread about the color combination for my led set. I plan on running 2 red, 2 green, 4 cool white, 4 UV, 8 royal blue, and 4 blue. A few people replied they would replace the red and green leds with warm white leds. I want to know what other people prefer. Do you prefer to use the warm white leds to cover the green and red spectrum or use the green and red leds instead of the warm whites? I notice a few high ends sets use the red and green leds. Is there more to it or just a preference? Why do you prefer either?

Velodog2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White LEDs, doesnt matter if cold or warm, lack the red component of spectra (there is some red, but too low). I would recommend you to use DEEP red instead of regular reds, as those are more recommended for corals.

http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag267/dacianb/vlambda_zps24f457e7.jpg

I believe the chart that you include as reference displays the output as percentage of total for the emitter. Just because the red peak is a lower percentage of the entire output on the white LED does not mean that the total red output is less. It's possible (very probable in fact) that the white LED has far greater total output than the red LED.

It's possible that you are still correct that the red LED puts out more red light, but that chart doesn't prove it, I believe.

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reds are the first to be blocked by the ocean.

The Cree Cool White when mixed with the proper ratio of Royal Blue and Blue come very close to the natural light corals receive.

Warm Whites do have the Red Spectrum along with plenty of Green. Cool Whites have a bit of Green as well, some Bins maybe too much Green and Yellow.

One thing to consider when using individual Colour LEDs is wave amplification and amplification. Red, Green and Blue have been used for years to create almost any colour. With a LED fixture you have to consider placement to optimize this advantage.

Another thing to consider is that some algae like cheato and some nuisance algae found in shallower waters use the Red for growth. This may be fin for a refuge but the last thing SPS need is algae growing on them. Use the Warmer side of the spectrum sparingly to optimize the looks.

Bill

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reds are the first to be blocked by the ocean.

The Cree Cool White when mixed with the proper ratio of Royal Blue and Blue come very close to the natural light corals receive.

Warm Whites do have the Red Spectrum along with plenty of Green. Cool Whites have a bit of Green as well, some Bins maybe too much Green and Yellow.

One thing to consider when using individual Colour LEDs is wave amplification and amplification. Red, Green and Blue have been used for years to create almost any colour. With a LED fixture you have to consider placement to optimize this advantage.

Another thing to consider is that some algae like cheato and some nuisance algae found in shallower waters use the Red for growth. This may be fin for a refuge but the last thing SPS need is algae growing on them. Use the Warmer side of the spectrum sparingly to optimize the looks.

Bill

One thing to consider when using individual Colour LEDs is wave amplification and deamplification.

OOPS...

Irod72002

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's proven that white and blues grow coral. Now here comes my input.

Brown corals are 1990s. With all the exotic and bright colors corals are arriving in. Those reds really make things pop. If u get a chance have someone show u the reddish feature in the ecotech Radions. Watch as a desjardini sailfin tang and copperband butterfly glow with amazing color. Then watch some of the corals glow.

Ask to see people's tanks with warm whites. Their tank has color but on the Mehh... Side. IMO

jeka///m3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Discrete color LEDs only provide a narrow spectrum of frequencies, where as white LEDs use a phosphor membrane to convert blue light into a wide range of frequencies, which is more favorable to the coals. When I built my DIY led light, I tried to diversify the types of LEDs used. About 3% red, close to50% white (various temperatures),10% green, and 37% is divided between blues and UV.

Rpujol85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't personally seen WW leds, but I have read they cover all the spectrum discrete red/green led's would, and then some, with better overall effect.

I have run two different light setups with red led's, and they do make the fish just pop with color and look like they are glowing. However they do have a very slight disco effect (when paired with greens, if not clustered tightly).

ValorG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had red and green in my diy fixture. Changed them out for warm and neutral whites. So much better, at least to the eye.

Velodog2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also switched to ww and nw from red and green. The red and green may make things pop more, but the warmer whites just give a nice even natural look, probably because they contain a nice wide spectrum. Also unless you have a fixture with tightly grouped LEDs it's hard to get even coverage with reg and greens since you are using only one or two of each emitter.

1.0reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WW, maybe some DR if needed. Limes can help with the looks. Cyan is useful for spectrum.

Back