Lighting help

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As per my skimmer thread, I am upgrading my Elos system to a 6 foot tank. I currently have two AI Hydra's, but for the new one I am thinking of Radions. I can get G2 pro's for a good price ($500 a piece, slightly used). Is there a huge difference between the G2 and 3's?

Siasl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the last few years I have gone from an elos 120xl to an A.G.E. 500g to moving back to NYC and just ordered Elos system 70.

I am not sure about linking here, but this is the best article to answer your questions (advanced aquarist and AI hydra / radion pro comparison)

Equipment Review: LED Lighting Tests: Ecotech Radion Pro, Aqua Illumination Hydra, GHL Mitras 6100HV and 6200HV ? Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

IMHO opinion, LED lighting is just coming into its own. I have normally built SPS and ritteri tanks (the PITA nem that requires perfect lighting and tank conditions) with some success. The only thing that has worked for me besides MH/T5 combo is radion pros. The amount of light (PAR or other measurement) is about that of a 250 MH bulb and the radion pro has the breadth of light bandwidth that approaches "real light"

The g2 versus g3 is all about energy output. G3 is way beyond in power and adds more color schemes (e.g. UV).

Read the AA article - it is the best "science" out there I have found (I just ordered two new radion pros for my new inbound sys 70). Sanjay does infinitely more justice than I can on the science. Also read vivid aquariums LED versus MH series - also a great comparison. (no link remembered).

But if you are just looking for G2 versus G3: more power, more spectrum = happier SPS or other hard to keep coral.

That means it is worth it to me.

CMB

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back