Cree Led from Rapid led.com

Purpule Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,Every one i bought 38 led cree from rapid led this is good for Lps and zoanthids and soft coral Reef tank without sps.
20 Royal blue cree xp-e 3w
18 White cool white xp-g 5w
This layout is good or added uv,green and red led to them?
Thanks

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ensure your bins of the XP-E Royal Blue are 450-455nm. The 455-460nm Royal Blue offers significantly less colour pop.

Also if you have a warmer Bin of the Cool White (6-6.5K) you might have to compensate with more Royal Blue and Blue say a 2:1 ratio RB/CW for a 12-15K look. With Cooler Bins 7.5K a 2:1 ratio will give you a 15-20K look.

Optics are huge when it comes to intensity even cheap optics will come close to doubling the PAR. Higher end optics like Carclo will do even more.

UVs AKA Hyper Violet 410-420nm do help especially with higher end zoas

Bill

ifarmer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DIY is not worth it any more believe me. there are so many affordable led fixtures out there and could give results.
DIY was great years ago but not any more. has zero resale values and looks messy

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DIY is not worth it any more believe me. there are so many affordable led fixtures out there and could give results.
DIY was great years ago but not any more. has zero resale values and looks messy

Gotta disagree...

Affordable LED Fixtures...Chinese Imports using 3 watt Bridgelux Knockoffs...Bridgelux no longer sells those 3 watt LEDs???Who Makes Them???What Are The Specs???

I would say affordable = disposable like a MH Light Bulb....After two years you have to acclimate to the new light. At least with MH and T5 this routine was already established and on a pre determined schedule.

OK CREE Fixtures...What Exact Cree LED and Bin???It matters if you want the best...

"Top Quality"..."I Love You Long Time"..."Checks in the Mail"...Ask any importer or exporter of these lights and the answer is always the same...

Messy. Perhaps but with Solderless Connectors you can have a clean look and the flexibility of swapping out a LED at any time.

Zero resale...Yes but so is that MH Fixture and the $199 EBAY LED Light.

With the proper knowledge, one can do better than the OEMs at less the price and customize it specifically to ones corals.

Just my 2 cents as a Fixture Manufacturer and DIY Vendor.

Cheers

Bill

akitareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO don't make a DIY fixture. Go for a Cree fixture that can be programmed, tons of options. You can always get used Radion for cheap and upgrade it endlessly. DIY is best for supplemental lighting and the electronic color mixing masterminds.

I made a supplemental bar from Rapid LED, I was very pleased with the results

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe there some situations where a diy led fixture becomes necessary. For example myself. I own a 29 gal biocube and purchased the rapidled retro kit for my hood. I like the AIO tank with the full hood. The only way to upgrade the stock pc lights without either completely removing the hood or cutting an opening in the hood for the light is to use a diy kit. I soldered mine and yeah the fixture does have a lot of wires on it not hidden but the light works great and solved my problem. I also bought the storm controller with my lights and it seems to work well.

ifarmer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's up to you. You asked for the opinion and I gave you my honest opinions.
I have gone that route years ago . i did my first LED to light the 75g 5 years ago . the fixture now sitting in my garage.

premade fixtures now are so cheap.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Purpule Tang

Purpule Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,There.My tank is 77 gallon 350 liter.
120 cm 50 cm 60 cm height.
Today I received my rapid led cree light.I buy 18 cree xp-g2 cool white 5w and 20 cree xt-e RB 3 w all with 80 degree lens,I also considering add 6 Uv 2 red and 2 green Edison light.
Can I run all led run in one heatsink?
Thanks

OP
OP
Purpule Tang

Purpule Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back